CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
Scott Ichiiwa

Profile:
Rogue hg vs Rogue hi-temps bumper plates

i would love some feedback on these two products. They interest me because they will be shipped from the Canada location, eliminating any issues with the border and me having to transport 350# of them.

To my knowledge:
- they are both the same width.
- The hi temps are more durable
- hi temps bounce more ( i prefer less bounce)
- hi temps are recycled rubber.
- hi temps are made in usa,
- roughly the same price.
- both have a 1 year warranty.

i have never seen either in person.
Please correct me if im wrong.

any info would be great.

thank you
Old 01-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Fern Webb

Profile:
Re: Rogue hg vs Rogue hi-temps bumper plates

I suspect that they are actually NOT all the same width. I don't have the Rogue HG but I think they are just rebranded Chinese made virgin rubber plates similar to the Pendlay Econ V1 (I have), and slightly "higher end" compared to the generic (formerly) brass-inserted Econ plates sold by many others (also have).

The Hi Temps are typically of slightly smaller diameter, and slightly greater width than any brand of virgin rubber plate. There are 2 practical issues here:

1) when mixing brands on the bar, not all the plates will touch the floor. Depending on your setup this can be a welcome convenience, or alternatively it can cause extra wear and tear on your plate inserts and possibly your bar.
2) You can fit less total weight on a bar when you stack the Hi Temps up compared to other options - the best density being plain iron.

Me personally, I like Hi Temps best for 10#, 15# don't really care either way for 25# though the extra bounce in Hi Temps will keep you on your toes (or knees doing drywall repairs), I like the virgin rubber plates for 45# . 35# can be handy but not really necessary. I like buying things on sale and don't mind to mix and match. So I have a bunch of different brands.

If I was buying a whole set all at once without bargain shopping and had to stick to a single brand, I would get the Hi Temps across the board, 190# set, and know that I could probably leave them in my will. I'd augment with some Craigslist iron to get up to respectable slow-lift weights. This just being a collection for Crossfit. The answer would be different if my primary focus was O-Lifting.

There's lots of CF boxes around the lower mainland where you can go look at gear in person and get some feedback.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Scott Ichiiwa

Profile:

so , if i were to compliment my rubber plates with metal plates for the slow lifts. Would dropping the metal plates from deadlift height harm the bar?

thanks

scott
Old 01-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

First--why are you dropping deadlifts? You don't really need bumpers for slow lifts unless you're worried about dumping squats without a power rack.

Second--if you've got large bumpers on the bar (20kg/45lb) and you add some smaller-diameter metal plates (10kg/25lbs or 15kg/35lbs), you should be fine assuming you're using a good bar and if you've got more total weight in bumpers than in metal.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
Scott Ichiiwa

Profile:

fails, misses, hand slippage, just laziness.... can cause me to drop a deadlift.

i was thinking of buying around 230 pounds for bumpers for oly lifting, and compliment it with cheaper metal plates to load up deadlifts and squats with. im just wondering if it will stress the bar if i drop it thats all.

basically give me a reason to buy or not to buy a whole full 350#s of bumpers for my home gym.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Jeremy Lee

Profile:

I have hi-temps and mix them with metal plates all the time. I have dropped 500lbs with no problems (onto stall mats), but typically have 4-45 hi-temps and 4 metal, then additional metal, or hi-temps. I would go with the 350# set that way you have 4-45's, 2-35's, 2-25's, 2-15's, and 2-10's. After you get stronger augment with cheaper metal plates.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ichiiwa View Post
fails, misses, hand slippage, just laziness.... can cause me to drop a deadlift.

i was thinking of buying around 230 pounds for bumpers for oly lifting, and compliment it with cheaper metal plates to load up deadlifts and squats with. im just wondering if it will stress the bar if i drop it thats all.

basically give me a reason to buy or not to buy a whole full 350#s of bumpers for my home gym.
Unless you plan on DLing over 500lbs, 230lbs of bumpers should be enough. Losing a failed rep from around knee high isn't a lot of stress on a bar, especially if you've got some stall mats to put under the plates. If you're thinking of dumping snatches or C&Js from overhead, it would be a different story and I'd say to go ahead and get more bumper plates, although you could probably dump 230lbs of bumpers+45lb bar+~70lbs of metal from overhead and be fine. A 345lb C&J is beyond the capabilities of most CFers.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
Fern Webb

Profile:

I think you are more likely to break the metal plates than damage the bar. At least based on the carnage I have seen over the years. Metal plates tend to spall off or shatter at the lip around the 2" hole. This may take many cycles to occur though. Or if they are the style with the "handles" they break at the corners of the handle holes where there are stress risers. I haven't ever seen damage to a full size bar that I would attribute to a catastrophic crash carrying metal plates.
45# metal plates tend to be larger again than any bumpers, so if you are damage-phobic (bars, plates, floors) stick to iron in 35# or less. Not too hard to find on Craigslist, don't pay more than $0.70/pound.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
Mike Bartlett

Profile:

Call the guys at Rogue. I have outfitted my entire box ( I am not an affiliate- I have my own personal box) with them- they are very knowledgeable and helpful. I purchased the Hi-temps because of their durability and - not as important- but I look the look.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

I have both HG and HiTemp plates. I would prefer to have all the same, but screwed up when ordering.

The HG plates are stiffer in the low weights, the 10 lb hitemps are kind of bendy...

The hitemp plates are thicker at every weight, especially the 45's

The HG plates are a little bit taller

The hitemp are marked on one side, the HG are marked identical on both sides

Not a deciding factor, but the HG logo is really cool

HG plates are slick and show marks, hitemps are a pourous surface

I think I like the hitemps better, at least I seem to reach for them more often than the HG with the only exceptioft being the 10's if they are all that is on the bar.