CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-01-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
Michael Biek

Profile:
CF relative strength bias

i am reading this board for a while but i am wondering why nobody has brought up this topic of relative strength as i would like to view it. i am playing around with it and try to design a program which works for me/that what i understand as relative strength bias (see below for a definition). but my knowledge is very limited i would be very happy if you would contribute to it and help me out with my questions. as i am not a native English speaker the text might be sometimes hard to read but i hope i could get my point along:

there are essentially two ways of measuring relative strength. the popular one is to relate strength to weight (not as simple as Max strength/BW = %) but that indeed does not consider the apply-ability of the term "relative strength" which has no use outside of the mentioned equation. it could be applied to strength related sports with weight classes like Plifting, Olifting and
wrestling to compare the different weight classes to each other f.e. wilk's formula for plifting

the not that well known way to evaluate relative strength is through gymnastics strength progression which does consider different body types. sprinting and climbing would be good indicators too as that are the three sports which are a better expression of relative strength. so here is my question: how should one modify crossfit to archive good "scores" at the sports/progressions mentioned above? so how to control lower body hypertrophy? it is very limiting in climbing and gymnastics and esp the 200 and 400 meters rewards lighter legs.
here is what i got: i would appreciate critique a lot:

4 times a week gymnastics s&c following the program outlined in the book building the gymnastic body:

Monday
dynamics: pulling+pressing progressions
statics: fl, pl, straddle L-sit

Tuesday
dynamics: rowing+pushing progressions

Thursday
dynamics: pulling+pressing progressions

Friday
dynamics: curling+dip progressions

in addition i train twice a week on the gymnastic apparatus just playing around with a focus on press to handstand progressions.

question:
above i have a focus on 1-arm pulling for climbing and overhead strength. but i think that overhead strength is something that is not needed at all in climbing but shoulder strength is needed so i was thinking to go a different route in gymnastics as i am not looking for to compete in gymnastics but training for overall fitness with a relative strength bias. as in gymnastics are many possible routes to go: should i focus on cross progressions more than on full rom HSPU? would that benefit my climbing more?

legs/running:

Monday
ME power clean
sprinting

Thursdays
ME LBBS/DL/snatch grip DL (rotating weekly)
sprinting

questions:
should i drop out the power clean in favor of wods including the clean or box jumps(for wods see below). am i right when i drop out A2G BS? but still getting full rom with sls in the wods (see below). as the question is how to deal with lower body hypertrophy

WODS:
Tuesday and Thursday optionally Wednesday or Saturday:
1 WOD focusing on posterior chain like helen/diane/grace/nacy
1-2 BW related WOD like mary/annie/cindy/barbara

thank you for reading!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: CF relative strength bias

Big brain, little problem. Just do CF.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
Michael Biek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Big brain, little problem. Just do CF.
brian, i do not want to sound unpolite but i assume that you do have little knowledge about gymnastic s&c and the feats of strength needed for climbing and gymnastics:
gymnastics s&c/ring strength is a lot about (straight arm) tendons conditioning something which is very important for climbing too. in addition all the gymnastics elements you do in CF are very basic. you do not get points for an L-sit or muscle up in a gymnastics competition. the only elements which get scored are a back lever and a front lever - and you do not see many crossfitters being able to do them not to speak about crosses and planches which are just intermediate elements but well archivable for someone who did not start gymnastics as child (and uses the right progressions).
in addition there is a problem with hyperthropy. when doing cf i get a body composition which is contary to my lifestyle. when being out in nature for hiking or climbing i do not carry tons of food with me and i lose a lot of weight. then back home my cf numbers have gone down - so why should i train max strength in areas which i simply do not need?
i want to do CF for metabolic conditioning my goal is not to get high numbers in CF. thus i have to specialize in my strength training. for the sake of discussion i should add my CFtraining history:
i am doing CF for 3 years more or less intens with interrupts and went to a level 1 cert. in those interrupts i did f.e. weightlifting only and could archive a BW snatch and got a CFT of 1010 but now i am far away from that. i ran marathon in 3'45 doing no special prep outside of crossfit besids sprinting. thus i have realised that if you want to be good at some things you can not be that good at everything else. you have to train smart. and "just doing CF" is good if you only want to "get in shape" "look good naked" but if you have specific goals you need to adress them.

Last edited by Michael Biek : 11-01-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

There are plenty of sites with gymnastics programming, and any other type of programming you could imagine. IMO, it is usually fail to try and reinvent the wheel...which is what you are doing by doing your own programming.

And if you are doing your own programming, you have pretty specific questions there such that it is impossible for someone else to answer for you. If you're happy with it, try it for a month and judge your results. Change the programmin if you are not happy. Moreover, I would probably ask these questions on a climbing specific site.

Regards lower body hypertrophy, this has much to do with how much you are eating.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
Michael Biek

Profile:

thank you for your reply.
i think i am fine with programming for climbing and gymnastics (had a reference above&and have access to good trainers) but climbers do not know that much about gymnastics and vice versa....i know i had some specific questions but thought of the topic more like an different way someone else might be interessted in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Regards lower body hypertrophy, this has much to do with how much you are eating.
can you further expend on the topic? because i was wondering how to manipulate that through nutrition as i do not want to lose muscle on the upper body. is that even possible? does not the HBBS lead to more hyperthrophy of the legs than the LBBS or DL variants because they are more hip related?

greetings