CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-15-2005, 09:21 AM   #11
Tim Weaver

Profile:
OK....instead of the bathroom sink, I hooked some 1" tubular webbing around the doorknobs on our bedroom door. Standing as close as I could, I squated the requisite 18/15/12 times, using the webbing for balance.

I decided against the sink because I found myself using my arms to pull myself up instead of squatting. By standing next to the doorknobs, I could only use my arms (hands next to chest) to keep myself from falling backwards, but not for pulling myself back up.

Damn. Damn. Damn.

I want my old wussy-squats back....

TimW
Phoenix
realizing he doesn't WANT to know squat
Old 07-15-2005, 10:15 AM   #12
Sonia Ng

Profile:

You're not hopeless,Tim!

In addition to all the other good recommendations-might want to try some dynamic leg-swings before any full-depth squatting practice(gentle front to back,side-to-side and "lifting your knee to 90 degrees-and-gently-swing-that-knee to your side-pretend you're a-ballet-dancer-practicing-barre-work"(forget the technical term for this)

Maybe throw in some bootstrappers,too(5-10)

Start gently and slowly,with the goal to increase your ROM in the swings.

Been doing this in my warm-up for years.(but i'm also a genetic mutant when it comes to flexibility)

Afterwards-static stretching for any muscle that goes "OY" and "OH".

Old 07-15-2005, 12:41 PM   #13
Eric Moffit

Profile:
heres what i did:

-spend more time in the deep squat. picking weeds?...deep squat. watching tv?...deep squat. just waking up?...deep squat. get used to that feeling. you probably wont be able to hold it for long at first, but consistency will lead to comfort.

-do the deep squats against the wall that Veronica mentioned. while your down there, pull your knees towards your chest and try to rotate your hips down so you have a nice, naturally-curved back position with shins close to vertical.

-like Eugene mentioned, do squats while holding onto something for support (i used the foot of my bed). the idea with the support is to ensure that you have perfect form while doing the squat. lean back on your heels more than your used to while you do them. squeeze your butt cheeks and focus on thrusting your hips forward to come up. also, as you do more and more of these, try to use the support less and less.

-do a weekend of 500 squats and a week of 500 squats. this is seriously what i did. i did 500 supported squats over a weekend and then again the following week. i broke them into sets of 10 and each time i did them, the focus was on form.

-do the Sampson stretch and really focus on stretching the hip of one leg and the hamstring of the other. youll feel it when youre doing it right.

-once youve mastered the squat, go right into working on your Tabata squats. once your at a minimum rep score of 18-20, youll be money. it will come all you need to do is show consistancy and perserverance.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:22 AM   #14
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
Do you have young kids? I ask because I have a 2 yr old who still has perfect squat form. I squat down and play with him concentrating on wiggling my toes. I used to have to hold my knees but now I can stay down for quite a while without realizing it because I'm playing with my son vs. thinking about the squat. also when doing the OHS focus on pulling the broomstick apart when you squat, this has helped me significantly. Those two things and daily practice.

Jeremy
Old 07-16-2005, 11:56 PM   #15
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Jeremy

Thanks for the "pulling broomstick apart" suggestion...I shall try that.

And, no, I have no children that I know of. :lol:
Old 07-17-2005, 04:16 AM   #16
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
No problem, it helps to keep the back upright. The experts around here say to think about sticking your head through the window created by your arms. Anyways, good luck.

Jeremy
Old 07-18-2005, 10:11 AM   #17
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Squat down to the limit of your flexibility (back arched/flat), and alternately contract and relax your muscles. As you do this, try to push your knees out to the sides (i.e., open your legs), and agressively maintain an arch.