CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
Heather Armstrong

Profile:
Anyone using the program laid out in "Protein Power"?

Anyone usig the "Protein Power" program rather than Zone? I read the Zone, tried it, hated it. The block counting is just onerous to me. The program laid out in Protein Power seems much simpler and more straightforward. Anyone have any comaprisons?

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
Andy Gann

Profile:
Re: Anyone using the program laid out in "Protein Power"?

I have.

For a month or so I tried keeping my carbs below 35g per day. I felt good and was performing well until one day when I totally bonked. It was on a longer workout that included alot of rowing and alot of burpees.

After that, I upped my carbs but tried to keep them under 100g per day (usually around 65g) and still was feeling pretty good. During that time I did not restrict calories at all. Also I had a couple nights a week where I would pig out on ice cream and a couple of cheat meals. Although I was performing well and feeling good, I got some crazy idea in March that I wanted to drop a few pounds and that wasn't happening - so, I tried zone .... which led to zone crash and burn.

I'm getting my diet back in check now ... somewhat along the lines of the protein power program but not really.

I guess I've found out that if I get my carbs mainly from veggies, don't go crazy on the nuts, have fruit PWO, limit dairy, and eat when I'm hungry ... I find myself right in the middle of a paleo/low carb/zonish +fat/protein power frenzy that just kind of works itself out without me trying to count/weigh/measure or freak out.