CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
Adam Head

Profile:
Hey everyone,
I have a personal training/bootcamp business in Athens, Ga.
I am dying to attend a CF cert. I'm also itching to start the affiliation process. The only thing holding me back right now is the price tag. I've got the funds for either doing the cert, or the affiliation fee and buying some much needed equipment (kettlebells, new bumpers, rings, etc. . ). Any suggestions about which you would get first? (Especially to any of the affiliates who would go back and do it again differently.)

Thanks, Adam

(Message edited by adamhead on August 10, 2007)
Old 08-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
Monique T. Ames

Profile:
Hi Adam
Answer depends on your CrossFit experience.

If you have limited exp, then you should focus on getting the cert. Those seminars will give you the basic foundation of CF. You can't run a successful affiliate without it.

Having exp crossfitting on your own is VERY different than doing it at a CF trained facility.
Again, if you've been on your own, it would be in your best interest to check out affiliates...they can ensure that you are doing the exercises correctly, they might have better/more equip/tools. They show you how to properly coach others and they are a wealth of info. So, find an affiliate and get involved with them.

Okay, if you've been to affiliates and you have ext exp in CF and maybe you're a cert trainer...then affiliate now and start training others (you have a year to get CF cert). To have an affiliate requires insurance which usually requires some cert.

Hope this helps...there is more to it, but this is the gist of it.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
Adam Head

Profile:
Thanks Monique,

Yes, I am very familiar with all of the exercises. I have been training for about 5 years now. The awesome thing was that I wrote programs for my clients pretty much using the CF principles before I knew about CF. Imagine how excited I was when I discovered there were thousands of other crazy people out there too!

I think I have decided to begin the affiliation process first and buy some much needed equipment. Although I am still interested in hearing from other affiliates. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2007, 02:28 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Adam;
Couple of points:
Reconsider your business venture if cash is so tight that you can not go to Cert and pay for your affiliation cost. You'll need extra monies for more items then you can presently think of. If this is going to be in your garage or van, and you're just going to train a few people each week, I guess you could get by with minimum equipment.
On the other hand, if you're going to "open" a facility, stock it with all gear needed, get the necessary legal stuff, do a little advertising, then I strongly suggest, go to a Cert. Besides networking with fellow affiliates, meeting new CF'rs, you'll get a chance to meet the staff and MOST importantly, TRAIN AND LEARN from them. Your comment "I wrote programs for my clients pretty much using the CF principles" well, I doubt it. Personally, I've been to both Pittsburgh/Cleveland affiliates, trained with them, enjoyed the WOD and I can tell/feel/see, they been to a Cert and drink the Kool Aid(as do I). This is just my two cents, but really, an extra 1000 bucks is not that much(beg, borrow, get a second job, line of credit) too be able to say that you've met Coach and the gang and you know your sh_ _T
This is just my two cents, but I go back to the basic premise, you need money to make money and starting on a shoe string can/does work, but not getting certified and just opening a place is not the way to do.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
Skip Chase

Profile:
Based on the info on your website (or lack thereof) I would invest in the journal and increase your level of knowledge.

www.mtbakercrossfit.com
www.mtbakercrossfitkids.blogsot.com
www.mtbakercommandokravmaga.com
Old 08-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
Corey Duvall

Profile:
I agree with Skip. 100%.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #7
Adam Head

Profile:
Thanks for the input guys.

Jay - I didn't mean that I was using CrossFit in my training programs. I meant that I was using the olympic lifts, power lifts, and barbell complexes combined with sprints, medicine ball drills, jumping rope, and other forms of high intensity metabolic condition to achieve maximum fat loss in my clients. (This is while I was employed at a local gym. Now I sub the barbell complexes for dumbbells.)

No I am not planning on moving into a facility right now. My current business involves in-home personal and group training, as well as boot camps. So, there is virtually no overhead and obviously not a lot of equipment to buy. If you get Jon Gilson's AgainFaster newsletter, he had a small article in the last one explaining how he got started. That is very similar to my plan. Please don't think that I consider the cert a waste of money. I think it's probably the best thing I can do.

However, as you said, it takes money to make money. I think that I will be benefiting myself the most by getting another camp up and running and getting a few more clients so that the $1000, plus the $500 or so for flight and hotel aren't that detrimental to my bank account.

Skip - The website was a class project that I went a little more in depth in than I had to (for the class). I do not advertise it to clients or anyone else for that matter. The only reason it is on my profile is because that is where I get email.

I subscribed to the journal 5 months ago. I'm on this website reading as much as I can every day. I've almost got Eugene Allen's cert notes memorized because I've read them so much(Nice work by the way Eugene - and I'm not trying to pass that off as the same as attending a cert), I've read Starting Strength cover to cover, as well as dozens and dozens of other books on strength and conditioning. I have a BS in health science with a minor in exercise science. I'm currently in between certifications, simply because the next time I can take the test is October 6, and I'm insured.

My theory is if a person who is a recognized expert in a field rights a book, then you should read it. In a few hours time, you can learn what took them years to learn and can apply that to your life. Think about how many lifetimes worth of knowledge you can absorb just from reading books!

After reading over this, to me it sounds kind of pompous. Instead of re-writting, let me apologize for that. I was a bit offended at first. However, I know that CrossFit is something that means a great deal to both of you and you don't want someone to give it a bad rep, no matter how small of an impact it creates. That is not my intention. While not having been active in CrossFit as long as you all, I promise I am just as dedicated to it.

If you have any other advice, books that should be read, things that should be completed, or just want to talk (I'm always willing to listen to those more experienced and knowledgeable than I), let me know. Again, thanks for the feedback, you both have gotten me thinking about different ways to improve my business plan.

~adam head

(Message edited by adamhead on August 11, 2007)
Old 08-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Adam;
Solid response. Good luck, hope to see you at a cert. BTW, Jon is a heck of a nice guy, have spent some cash with him along with recommending him to my friends. BTW x 2, not only are the CF certs powerful, you never know who my drop in. My friend just came back from a Power lifting Cert in San Diego. Coach Rip was putting it on, last day, Coach Mike B dropped in, along with Eva T. Sarina networked with some awesome people. I know some people that went up to Doug's place in Ann Arbor (Hyperfit) awesome place and Doug is a great guy.
I'm looking forward to the Pittsburgh Cert, when HQ posted the new Cert at Quantico. I'm thinking that HQ will send the A team as we're talking Marines, so like a nut, I signed up for that Cert. Now I see the Performance Menu guys are coming to DC in October for Oly seminar, what the heck, might as well be really in debt, so I'm in on that one. There are some many great guys to train with, try to hook up with some of them.
BTW, Dan John shows up every so often, was just on the East Coast, couldn't make it, maybe next time. We have access to Coach G, Coach Rip, Coach B, the entire staff at HQ and some of the great CF'rs that post on this site, Greg E, Eugene A, Steve L, Lincoln, Dr. G.
Some much to learn, so little time.

Train On
Old 08-11-2007, 12:34 PM   #9
Adam Head

Profile:
Jay;

Thanks. You probably beat me to the Quantico Cert, (as after some deal making with my parents over the past few days for a 'loan') I went to sign up early this morning. Go figure it was already booked. I've emailed asking to be put on the waiting list. Thanks again Jay, looking forward to meeting you also.

Adam
Old 08-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #10
Corey Duvall

Profile:
Adam, No offense meant by my post. Like you said, when you read what people wrote you can learn a lot. What is in that website are some half truths and misinformation. So when I read it, I felt I learned a lot about you. My suggestion is to update it with correct information or simply remove it from your profile. Good luck with your start-up, I wish you the best.

Cheers