CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 06-12-2005, 09:20 AM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
When the 40 pullup contest was posted some time ago I laughed at the notion of ever being able to do such a stratospheric number of pullups. I laugh no longer. I had my SWAT mates here at my gym Friday morning for some training before we went to the range. It was the first workout for the group and I was having them go through a few reps of knees to elbows, varous KB lifts, net climb, rope climb, ladder climb and of course ring dips. We also did Tabata squats and I have gotten a number of calls and emails about the after effects of the squats. I got a page this morning that said, "My inner thighs hurt when I sit to go poop, thanks." Made my day.

Anyway, I explained the importance of pullups and how valuable an exercise it is and showed them how to kip. I did 10 and since I felt good I did 10 more. At 20 I felt like I had just started and decided to go on. Around 25 I heard a couple "Whoa" comments and even a "Damn" so I figured this was a good day for a max effort. My previous best has been 27 so I figured I could do 30. I did 35.

Any more pullup contests in the works? I'm sure I have 40 coming soon.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:01 AM   #2
John S. Powell

Profile:
Great stuff! I love those times when it just clicks. If only we could figure out how to recreate the circumstances for each workout. Did you do anything special beforehand that might have led to the huge increase?

Anyways, congrats!
Old 06-13-2005, 03:26 PM   #3
James R. Climer

Profile:
Congrats, Eugene! Do you think the crowd watching helped on those?

If you're interested, I'll toss down the gauntlet and challenge you to 40. I got 32 a couple Mondays ago at Crossfit SLO during a max-rep warmup; the bar at Nick's place is made for kipping. I've been doing strict pullup GTG for a challenge with the Iron Online group in July, so I'm interested to see it's effects on the kipping. I usually trail the WOD by a few days and did the BW Bench and pullup today, did 19 to 26 reps of kippers each round, and it made me wonder how many I could get if I was fresh.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Good work Eugene!

I used to think that 20 was an impossible goal for most people but i'm thinking that after i do this ultra long MTB race i'll do some work and try to hit 40

Old 06-13-2005, 05:50 PM   #5
Michael Pearce

Profile:
That's great Eugene, good job!
Old 06-14-2005, 07:38 AM   #6
Ted Williams

Profile:
Hardcore...and the pooping comment made me giggle and almost choke on coffee...right on! :proud:

I got my PR of 15 last week...and on Sunday I did a quick 10 while BBQ'ng, right in front of my wife and got a "woah...." from here...its saying something if I impress her :rofl:
Old 06-14-2005, 10:40 AM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
James - without a doubt the best supplement for pullups, for me, is a crowd of peers.

I accept your challenge and will race you to 40. The next time our team gets together for our pre-SWAT training PT will be on July 8th, (Mike Burgener will be stopping by that day on his way to the CrossFit North Olympic Lifting clinic he is putting on) so if I don't get it by then I will spur myself on with the team or Mike.

Ain't that the truth Ted. Sometimes I think I would have to accomplish a genuine Church sanctioned miracle to impress my wife. I impress myself just by waking up alive in the morning so I'm easy, but my wife is a very tough crowd. I don't remember the distance or the time but I did a particularly fast run one day that I saved on my watch. I showed her the time and said, "Big loop run" or whatever the label was that we had given it. "You know that's not quite 3 miles don't you?" I could only laugh. Some time later I had some really good mile splits during a workout on a track I use. Surely this one was unassailable to her reduction. She said, "You know that's a meter track right?" Took a second to sink in but a meter track is about 60 meters short of a mile. The messiah is shunned in his homeland. Not that I share any attributes with the messiah but I am certainly shunned in my homeland. Well, maybe not shunned. I'm putting up a wall on that loft in my gym. I put the OSB up last night and even mudded it to hide the not quite perfect seams and when she called this morning she said, "That's the most amazing thing I have ever seen. It's beautiful." Sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:18 PM   #8
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Not shunned, taught humility :-)

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to join the race. I've been really working hard on my pull-ups over the past month, and I could use this to spur myself on.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:07 PM   #9
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Please Brendan, the more the merrier. Even from a distance our shared energy toward a shared goal is bound to help out.

Not sure if this is the place for it or if I want to start a separate thread, but I have a Jack LaLannesque birthday goal. I will be 50 on November 27th and I'm going to post our challenge as well as a birthday challenge to myself so more people can participate. I'll put it the Competition section.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:20 PM   #10
James R. Climer

Profile:
I'm planning to be in Santa Cruz July 9 & 10 for the IronOnline last bash and maybe a barf session at CFHQ, sounds like a deadline, get kipping!