CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-28-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
Art Dirik

Profile:
Best way to "fit" power cleans into a 531 strength + crossfit wod program

Hi all

I think this question has been partially covered in some past posts a while ago - but wanted to see what the latest opinions and experiences are

I have been using the Wendler 531 split + crossfit wods for the past 5 weeks and have tucked power cleans in after squats.... For ex:
Mon - Squat 531 + Power clean 5 x 3 linear + short metcon
Tues - Press 531 + assistance
Wed - Short metcon
Thurs - rest
Fri - 45 min cross fit class with 72 lb barbell
Sat - Bench 531 + assistance
Sun - rest
Mon - Dlift 531 + assistance + short metcon

The wendler says in his Q&A section that power cleans are great to fit in on squat or dlift day...BEFORE the main lifts,,,,,but I would think doing a 5 x 3 pwr clean before would drain you for the "main lifts"

Just to note - my "objectives" are to increase strength in the main lifts while keeping in very good met con condition....and if I can slowly add some lean muscle mass as a result, all the better

any opinions on where to fit power cleans in....and the best set/rep/loading scheme to increase this lift...would be great

thanks
Old 10-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Daniel Higgins

Profile:
Re: Best way to "fit" power cleans into a 531 strength + crossfit wod program

IMO the cleans should go before squat if they are at least moderately heavy. The key to the power clean is speed, and after heavy squatting your CNS should be pretty worn out. You may not want to max out on the clean (where it would be detrimental to the squat). If 5x3 is too much, try 3x3 maybe.

Just curious, where are you training?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Andrew Bell

Profile:

What about switching power cleans and squats for heavy squat cleans?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

Fit them according to priority. I also asked Wendler how to program PC on his Q&A and he recommended doing them in the 5/3/1 manner.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

I've been adding power cleans (5x3, 15x1 on the minute) before dead-lifts. The idea is that the cleans requre more technique and are also considerably lighter than DL's, thus the preference to do them when fresh and they serve as a reasonable warmup for the DL's, since it is a similar pulling movement. Try moving them to DL day if you think they're affecting your BS.

I've also been adding power snatches (7x2, 15x1 on the minute) before squats. Again, they are so light in comparison to the squats that I don't really notice any fatigue when doing my squats. But then, my snatches aren't the strongest.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
What about switching power cleans and squats for heavy squat cleans?
This might be good for your squat cleans, but hardly as a sub for heavy back squats.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
Art Dirik

Profile:

Thanks for the replies guys - some quck responses:
- you are right about pwr cleans needing speed and getting tapped out if doing squats (or dlifts first) - will have to experiment with it to see what could work better. just really started cleans several months ago, they get sort of addicting
- currently working out at a non-cross fit suburban gym - with a great trainer I work with when I have the chance - at global fitness in stow mass...I am usually in the dark corner grunting and using the oly bar set up as others use the treadmill, etc
- squat cleans are a great idea - I am sure that I suck at those and the few times I have tried them, they were brutal.....I may try to throw those in, but would you recommend following a 531 template for those - or jus std straight sets, linear?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
Art Dirik

Profile:

BTW scott, what is "15 x 1 on the minute"?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Dirik View Post
BTW scott, what is "15 x 1 on the minute"?
on the minute perform a single for 15 minutes. An effective way to work singles with heavy weight but not spend all day in the gym doing 15 sets.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allen Hanson View Post
This might be good for your squat cleans, but hardly as a sub for heavy back squats.
True but if heavy it will help the front squat, which is a big weakness of mine right now as I can catch more in the bottom position than I can lift up in the front squat. In other words, when it gets to a little past a 1RM, I might be able to pull it and catch it in the bottom position, but I can't get it up through the squat.

That's where I'm coming from with that idea, thoughts?