CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-12-2005, 07:18 AM   #1
Kevin Weinkauff

Profile:

I can't do presses or pushups because of my shoulder. I also want to give my hamstrings a little break and not sprint every day. Any opinions?

Monday: Deadlift x12, Run 400m, Deadliftx12, Run 400m, Deadlift x12, Run 400m
Tuesday: 50 situps, 50 back extensions, Pullup bar hang (as long as you can)
Wednesday: Turkish get up x12, Run 400m, Turkish get up x12, Run 400m, Turkish get up x12, Run 400m
Thurday: Pushup Planks (Hold position for 1 minute, Lightweight KB or DB swings x12, Pushup plank (Hold position for 1 minute), KB DB swings x12, 25 Situps
Friday: Squat x21, Run 400m, Squat x21, Run 400m, Squat x21, Run 400m
Saturday and Sunday off - do some stretching

Warmup: Primarily core exercises and dynamic stretching: Hip crossover x20, glute bridge extensions x10, external rotator cuff work with therabands x30+, lunge to insteps x8, lateral lunges x8. (I took some exercises from Core Performance by Mark Verstegen)
Old 09-12-2005, 09:06 AM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Can you do Turkish Gettups with an injury to your shoulder? I've always followed if it doesn't hurt you can do it, but it just strikes me as a bad idea.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Kevin,
What is wrong with your shoulder?
Jeff
Old 09-12-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Speaking of shoulder injuries I hurt mine benching months ago. I got an xray and MRI to no effect. My doctor recommends I do the standard rotator cuff work. I can do overhead lifting, dips, and pull-ups. I just can't bench or do push-ups at all. Also some horizontal rowing motions give me a slight pain along with pulling my shoulders back to back squat. Injuries suck.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
Kevin Weinkauff

Profile:

Thanks for the responses. The link below gave me the idea of incorporating TGU's. It says that it is good for shoulder stability. The truth is, I am not sure how my shoulder will respond to it....Jeff -I have a shoulder impingment/bicepital tendonitis.

Check out this link, intersting:
http://www.tacticalathlete.com/rehabquestions.htm
Old 09-12-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
Robyn Joy

Profile:

Kevin,

I have partial tears of the rotator cuff (infraspinatus and supraspinatus) as a result of a climbing injury. The surgical repair is pretty nasty so I decided to try a lengthy rehab instead. After doing six months of the usual therapy (bands, raises, dumbbell rotations, the usual) I started doing swings, one-hand overhead squats and TGUs (and eventually windmills). I didn't focus on weight but on stability and form. I did the TGUs very slo-o-o-wly and concentrated on holding my shoulder joint very still and "packed" (ala Pavel, although I'm not sure how that compares with the "shoulder in the ear" theory).

I honestly believe these exercises made more difference than anything else I did. The TGU's in particular seemed to magically strengthen my shoulder in the places where it was weak and even seemed to change the "feeling" of how I hold my shoulders. (Other things that helped were dislocates, and plain old arm circles in four directions, with and without weight.)

After a few months of this, I was able to do push-ups again, swim again and do all kinds of overhead stuff that was looking to be forever impossible before.

Having said that, every shoulder injury is different and everybody responds differently to individual exercises, so of course you need to be careful. If you use too much weight in a TGU, you can definitely get your shoulder into an unsafe position in seconds.

Still, I just wanted to say that it does work for some people.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #7
Kevin Weinkauff

Profile:

Thanks Robyn. I plan on using VERY light weights to start..I have a few questions... What are dislocates? Also, when you say you did swings, do you mean kettleball swinga? Sorry, I am still a rookie to Crossfit.
Kevin
Old 09-12-2005, 11:07 PM   #8
Robyn Joy

Profile:

Kevin,

I tried to find a video of dislocates on the net, but no such luck yet. At least here is a link on Dragon Door where Steve Maxwell describes the movement. He says to use a stretch band but you can also use a towel, a piece of webbing, a long belt, a staff or a broomstick (I like the broomstick but just stay far away from any vases – I made that mistake once!). Keep your arms very, very wide at first and narrow them slowly over time. This is mostly a flexibility exercise but it helped to release a lot of the tightness I developed from being injured and generally seems to keep my shoulders in better shape when I do them a few times a week.

http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/message/319903%5C

I also like this exercise below but I do them standing up with lightweight plates in my hands. Lying down seemed to impinge my shoulder, although it was probably just bad positioning. (They are not the same as Pavel’s windmills, which were also good for my shoulder once it got a little stronger.)

http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/WINDMILLS.htm

As for swings, I guess I’m kind of an equal-opportunity swinger. Um, that doesn’t sound quite right but I have used dumbbells, plates and kettlebells and I like them all. I don’t think it matters that much what you use. Crossfit people seem to recommend swinging high (above the head), which I do now sometimes for variety, but when I first started that was way too painful. Instead, I would swing only to mid-way or chest-high for reps. I’m not sure why these worked so well for me. I mean a lot of the work in swings is really in your hips and legs but somehow the dynamic arm motion was really good for my shoulder.

These days, whenever my shoulder bugs me, I go back to doing swings, TGU’s, dislocates and a few old standby cable rotations and it usually settles right back down.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:50 PM   #9
Kevin Weinkauff

Profile:

Robyn, thanks again for the great info and links. I appreciate learning everything I can to build shoulder stability.
Kevin
Old 09-13-2005, 08:30 PM   #10
Dennis Koehne

Profile:  
Robyn and Kevin,

Your posts in this thread are golden. Thank you.

My own rotator cuff injury came the old fashioned way--overuse combined with bad mechanics in volleyball/racquetball/throwing. I had surgery once, but failure to extinguish the bad habits combined with overcompetitiveness have brought back enough of the symptoms such that any load combined with any external rotation and even the slightest upward push results in pain. I can dip and do steep decline press, but flat bench pressing, incline or overhead press are outski (I can do pushups with my elbows tight to my ribcage). I can do neutral or supinated grip pullups, but my beloved pronated grip pullups are similarly gonzo.

I perform all of my PT/rehab exercises nightly, with a different colored theraband on each bedpost (try explaining THAT to a first date--fortunately my scar is pretty pronounced). After re-reading this thread at least twice, I grabbed a DB and went straight to some TGU's and face high swings (my previous attempts at overhead swings didn't hurt beyond soreness, but my shoulder and its surgically limited ROM didn't much care for the movement, so I'd filed swings in the same box as my 8-tracks and ex-GF pics). Praise the Lord and pass the potatoes--the shoulder felt the work without feeling the pain.

I think that I have two new additions to my nightly regimen. Thanks once again.