CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
Glenn Lee

Profile:
Lifting platform - Are three layers of plywood necessary?

I'm researching building a lifting platform for my garage and most designs I see involve two layers of plywood underneath the top layer of stall mats. Has anyone just thrown down a 4x8 sheet of plywood inbetween two stall mats? And is it working ok for you? Is the purpose of the layers to keep things from slipping around? My box just has one layer like this but they are all pushed together so they stay in place. I'd rather have something I could easily move around.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Adam Molnar

Profile:
Re: Lifting platform - Are three layers of plywood necessary?

I did research about the same matter, and most people said that 1 plywood inbetween 2 stall mats works for the purpose, maybe you have to kick the mats back in place from time to time.
What I did-since i have to be very careful with the floor-is to put 2 plywood on the floor as a base, put another nice plywood in the middle, and stall mats on the sides.
So, I used 3 plywoods and 1 stall mat cut in half (it is basically a 2 layers lifting platform instead of a 3 layers)
Old 09-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Jim Coull

Profile:

The reason that most of the designs use multiple layers of plywood, besides the obvious which is protection, is so tha the base becomes one solid piece and doesn't seperate. Even if you screw the two pieces of ply together and lay the stall mat on top, the mats will move fairly easily considering that they weigh about 100 lbs. apiece. A couple screws will hole the mats down.

You can go with just stall mats if that floats your boat, and the floor below doesn't need protection, especially if you are only using rubber bumpers.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Multilayers with the grain of the wood at 90 degrees reduces warping problems as well. 2 base layers and a center piece + stall mats with everything glue and screwed will stay nice and flat. Heavy of course but that is the price you pay.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
Steve Dang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Multilayers with the grain of the wood at 90 degrees reduces warping problems as well. 2 base layers and a center piece + stall mats with everything glue and screwed will stay nice and flat. Heavy of course but that is the price you pay.
Whats the difference between building a 3 layer platform... and say something along the lines of the Rogue OLY Platform? (1 layer)
Main reason I want the Rogue is because I can set it up to do banded deadlifts...

I'm assuming just more protection for the flooring... and maybe a bit quieter? not too sure.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
Rich Case

Profile:

Steve, I was looking at the Rogue OLY Platform which has the hooks for banded lifts as well. Then it hit me that it is only something like 4X8 where these home built OLY platforms are 8X8. Am still thinking of a way to build the plywood unit where it has some hooks for the bands like you prefer.

Has anyone built an OLY 8X8 platform and what mat's have you used for the 2X8 openings on either end? I have stall mats from Tractor supply and they are 4X6, don't see anyplace to buy a 4X8 mat that I can cut in half. If I cut a 4X6 mat then I'll have an open area of 1X2 on top and bottom of each end. I don't think that is a big deal functionally, but from a looks perspective it might look odd. I guess I could fill those extra pieces with some plywood which would also help hold the mat from moving around.

I've seen a guy on you tube who cut mats in half right in the middle (making two sheets of 2X4 on each side) and said that was a bad idea having the seam in the middle where you drop the weights.

Anyone figured how to handle?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
^^^This ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Case View Post
Has anyone built an OLY 8X8 platform and what mat's have you used for the 2X8 openings on either end? I have stall mats from Tractor supply and they are 4X6, don't see anyplace to buy a 4X8 mat that I can cut in half. If I cut a 4X6 mat then I'll have an open area of 1X2 on top and bottom of each end. I don't think that is a big deal functionally, but from a looks perspective it might look odd. I guess I could fill those extra pieces with some plywood which would also help hold the mat from moving around.

I've seen a guy on you tube who cut mats in half right in the middle (making two sheets of 2X4 on each side) and said that was a bad idea having the seam in the middle where you drop the weights.

Yes, you cut the 4x6 stall mats up the center into 2 pieces that are 2x6. Tose run up the sides and the 2' gap at the bottom/back of the platform is where you can put some bumpers (45, 25 and 10) for easy access.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Steve Dang

Profile:

That's the deadlift platform..
They just released one thats 8x6 for OLY lifters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Case View Post
Steve, I was looking at the Rogue OLY Platform which has the hooks for banded lifts as well. Then it hit me that it is only something like 4X8 where these home built OLY platforms are 8X8. Am still thinking of a way to build the plywood unit where it has some hooks for the bands like you prefer.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
Rich Case

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
^^^This ^^^

Yes, you cut the 4x6 stall mats up the center into 2 pieces that are 2x6. Tose run up the sides and the 2' gap at the bottom/back of the platform is where you can put some bumpers (45, 25 and 10) for easy access.
Thanks Sean, good idea for those open areas!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
Corey Borolien

Profile:

I'm about to build a couple oly platforms with hooks for banded deadlifts. I was thinking of getting the rings that screw to the floor of a trailer for tie down points and using carabiners to attach the bands. Should be pretty simple, don't see the need for a specially built platform just for that.