CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-13-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
Brian Loehr

Profile:
I have only done the last two wod, and I have modified it to work for me, because I weigh 490, 6'4". I am really new to exercising. anybody have good suggestion on how to get my wieght off fast?
Old 01-13-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
Michael McMahon

Profile:  
While I'm no expert on the topic of weight loss, I do know that trying to lose weight fast can backfire and result in health problems and regained weight. Try to shoot for steady, realistic weight loss that can be maintained from week to week without adverse medical effects. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:24 PM   #3
Brian Loehr

Profile:
thanks, I am looking to 2-4lbs a week.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:27 PM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Brian, this is going to be a long topic and I hope you get many responses. 90% of the weight loss puzzle revolves around diet. You are going to have to research and comply to a diet that you could work for. First, do not make weight loss goals, make compliance goals ie. instead of a goal of 50 lbs weight loss, make the goal to eat 5 small meals a day consisting of a 40-30-30 ratio of Carb-PRO-Fat. Another goal, workout 6 times a week, take 8 grams of fish oil a day, etc. I think you have the picture. Next get rid of all cheat foods in your house. Get whatever tools you need (George Foreman Grill, pots, Pans, etc.). Cook all your food for the week on Sunday. Make sure you have almonds and some fruit in your car. Put protein powder into empty wide mouth water bottles, an throw them in your work stuff and in your car. Then all you have to do (in a hunger emergancy) is fill the bottle with water, shake, drink, eat an apple and 4 - 5 almonds, and you have a 2 block zone snack. Research the Zone. . .plenty of books. If you do the WOD in the afternoon, walk, on an empty stomach, in the morning. Keep increasing the sidtance. Weigh, measure, and record everything you eat (at first). Don't weigh yourself every week, wait a month. DOn't cheat, if you do don't over do it, and don't beat yourself up. Cheat less and less. Drink water and green tea. Read and research as much as you can (Zone books, this web site, the CFJ, T-Nation, etc.) Ask questions.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
Brian Loehr

Profile:
thank you that helps a lot, I have protien powder, but I have not been using it. I will ad that to my routine tomorrow before my wod.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:40 PM   #6
Beth Moscov

Profile:
A healthy weight loss - meaning that you are losing fat and not muscle - is 1-2 pounds per week. It can even be slower. Generally, when you start you will lose faster and also gain muscle at the same time. This is a gift that your body won't give you again so enjoy that you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time but be aware that this will show on the scale as slower weight loss. That is cause one square inch of muscle weighs three times what one square inch of fat weighs.

Larry is absolutely right. Shoot for small lifestyle changes as your goals. Remember, it didn't take four or five months to gain this weight so it will take more than that to lose it. To give you an idea - it took me a year to lose 45lbs. On the other hand, during that year, I instilled a habit of exercise and a habit of eating well that is what is helping me keep the weight off now.

Another key is to make friends who are going through it or who have gone through it. While I recommend the zone diet and these boards, there is also a wonderful weight loss community online on the weight watchers boards in their fitness challenge board. I hang out there still cause my friends who lost over 100 pounds and have kept it off for years are such an inspiration to me. Come and visit. My name there is the same one I use here. (I know - I am not too creative when it comes to online names!)
Old 01-13-2005, 10:10 PM   #7
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Also don't go too fast. One of the major problems with any diet change or workout program is people try to do too much too fast. As Beth says take it slow, one day at a time. If you back slide don't worry about, you can always correct it the very next meal.

Scale the WODs down to what you can do and if you can't do something try to do the negatives. When I first started here I could only do two pull-ups and the WODs were asking for 40+, so what I had to do was jump up try to hold myself and lower down, in the end it was more just falling but the point was I just scaled it to what I could do. If the WOD was taking too long I would scale it back even further, I would try to keep it under 40 minutes. As for using weights for the longest time I didn't even have any so I just used a broom handle, and I still do to work on form.

Also as Beth says there is a lot of information online for free, I would check it out before buying anything. Here are the Zone sites and they go over almost everything the book does.

http://www.zoneperfect.com/site/content/guide.asp

http://www.drsears.com/drsearspages/enterthezonepg.jsp

Old 01-14-2005, 06:41 AM   #8
Andrew Brown

Profile:
I don't have anything to contribute info or experience-wise...

Just want to say welcome and good luck.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:01 AM   #9
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I think the following is true for anyone who wants to lose weight: eat clean. Throw away any unhealthy junk food from your house. Buy only meat, fish, fruits, vegetables, dairy, eggs. Bran cereal and similar items can be added as well. I don't think it's possible to overeat on healthy foods. To me, this is far far more important than what percentage of your diet is Carbs, Fat or Protein.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:07 PM   #10
Thomas Whitehead

Profile:
The thing to focus on when trying to lose weight is your diet. Read into the nutrition forums on this site. Consider getting one of the books about a diet that you think would work for you. Then stick to it. With the exercising, you are on the right track. Just start doing the CF WarmUp and the WOD.
Good Luck.