CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
Brian Conlan

Profile:
Backyard pull up bar

I am putting in a free standing pull up bar in my backyard. I have searched these forums for plans and found some good advice.

My plan is to use a post hole digger and see how far down I can get before roots start to give me a problem. Hopefully 2 ˝ to 3 feet. Then I will put 4x4x10s in the holes with some gravel and dirt and try to tamp that sucker in there real good.

I am planning on using flanges to connect the 48” 1” ID galvanized water pipe to the 4x4x10s. Also I am planning on doing that first and then measuring before I put the second hole in the ground and then putting the whole thing in the ground at the same time.

Anyone see any obvious flaws with this plan?

If it is not sturdy enough I am going to put some concrete in, although I wouldn’t put it in 3 feet deep that would be a pain to get out. Concrete plan also has a low mother approval rating.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Backyard pull up bar

Sounds like Patrick Donnelly's setup; might want to see what his thoughts are on it. From looking at his pictures/vids his look pretty solid. He does mention they wobble a bit though.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Unless you like 1" pipe in particular you might check out 1.5" or 1.75". That's pretty small for my tastes, personally. YMMV.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Brian Conlan

Profile:

Thanks for the direction to Patrick Donnelly's stuff, there was a lot of good info there.

I read somewhere on this message board that around 1 3/8" is the "ergonomically correct" outer diameter for a bar, so I think the 1" ID bar had an OD of around that.

Post hole digger worked like a charm. I got the hole between 2.5 to 3 feet deep. Going to the hardware store tomorrow morning. I hope this can work without the need for concrete. Maybe I will stack some sand bags around the base to counterbalance the kipping. I'll try to post some pictures once I get it up
Old 07-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #6
Casey Raiford

Profile:

My bad, I totally missed that you meant 1" ID. Yeah you should be all set.

If you're avoiding concrete because of it's permanence, there are a couple of options that'll let you still use it:

- only fill the hole up to 4-6" below ground level, then when you need to, cut the uprights down there and refill the hole.

- dig the thing out. It's a spastic amount of work and no kind of easy, but very functional movement.

Good luck with it however you go, looking forward to seeing the results.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:30 AM   #7
Erik Monson

Profile:

Brian:

Great to hear about another Madison crossfitter.

Last edited by Erik Monson; 07-16-2008 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: irrelevant comment as holes already dug
Old 07-16-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
Helmut Block

Profile:

If you want it stable go ahead and plan to use concrete. Make the base of the hole as wide as you can. You don't have to pour the concrete all the way to the top of the soil line, but up to about three inches, then fill those three inches with soil. If you have to move and take it down you can always just cut the post off at three inches under the soil and fill. If you are sneaky enough you may not even tell your mom.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Brian Conlan

Profile:

Thanks for all the input guys.

If the gravel and dirt don't work I will do the concrete in the hole method, up to about 6" below the soil line. I probably won't need all that much because the post hole digger allowed me to keep the hole still very narrow, it's probably 5x5.

Question about setting it in concrete though, I'm supposed to brace the uprights while they set right? I've heard this several times and been explained it, but I still don't fully understand how I actually do it. Do I just basically prob it up with 2 2x4s to make sure it is really level? Also should I attach the bar and flanges before I drop the uprights in the ground?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
John Rolfe

Profile:

Dont attach anything to the bar cause of the way they are going to go into the ground wont be even.

I did this in the backyard and wasnt able to go deep enough for the posts so I build one in my garage.

Anyways- save yourself the headache and put the concrete in right away. Keep it level with the 2x4s holding it up.