CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
Bernard Gauldin Jr

Profile:
Parallette Problems.

I just got all the peices to my parallettes and they are loose.
The diameters are 1 1/2 all the same.
Will PVC Glue fix the little leaks in the pipes (at the joints)?
If I do buy this glue where do I glue it so I can still take it apart and travel with it?
Also How much does the glue cost?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
Colin Ching

Profile:
Re: Parallette Problems.

I would use your standard pipe cement from HD for about $5-$7 (fast Drying is best). Glue the inside of the joint and the pice to be inserted. (Skip the primmer step... its not needed. PVC Cement esentially melts the pipe together so the primmer is not needed unless the pipes are going to be under constant pressure from flowing water.)

I would sugest glueing everything but the part of the elbow joints that lead from the handels to the base... you'll end up with three pieces when you want to take apart. 2 tee's and the handel portion with the 2 elbows...

Hope this was helpful.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:11 AM   #3
Victor Putz

Profile:

I did much the same except I did leave the pipe between the supports and the handles unglued--not 100% ideal as they can rotate, but if you're not on a slippery floor it works fine.

The rather important bit is to make sure the handles are glued in such a way that the only unglued joints will be firmly held in place by your weight (without pictures the descriptions are goofy, but if the "tops" are a horizontal bar with two elbow holes pointing down, and the "bottoms" are a T with the hole pointing up, my only unglued joints are the bar between the up-pointing hole in the bottom T and the down-pointing hole in the upper elbow, so with weight applied the joint is compressed straight down).

They break down very well and support just fine. But DEFINITELY glue the sideways-pointing joints.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Dave Coughlin

Profile:

I'm a pretty sizable dude (6', 230 lbs), and I was really worried about having a spill on my homemade parallettes. Just by dousing both connecting sides of the PVC pipe with standard hardware store PVC cement was sufficient for me. I didn't use a primer, either-no issues for about 6-8 weeks for me.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Stephen A Hollingdale

Profile:

Just built a set of Parallettes using the instructions from the main site. First L-Sit and one of the bars bent in the middle. Figured I had an imperfection in the pipe so I cut another length from a second tube (bought for redundancy) and had the same result.

I tried moving my hands closer to the l-bend to shorten the pressure point on the bar and the whole rig feels like it will collapse.

Anyone else having this problem and figured out a way to strengthen them up? These were the sturdiest PVC pipes I could find in the hardware store so if I can't come up with a way to shore them up, I don't know what I will do. I have glued all joints and even run duct tape around all the joins to make sure.

Cheers

Stephen
Old 06-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen A Hollingdale View Post
Just built a set of Parallettes using the instructions from the main site. First L-Sit and one of the bars bent in the middle. Figured I had an imperfection in the pipe so I cut another length from a second tube (bought for redundancy) and had the same result.

I tried moving my hands closer to the l-bend to shorten the pressure point on the bar and the whole rig feels like it will collapse.

Anyone else having this problem and figured out a way to strengthen them up? These were the sturdiest PVC pipes I could find in the hardware store so if I can't come up with a way to shore them up, I don't know what I will do. I have glued all joints and even run duct tape around all the joins to make sure.

Cheers

Stephen
Mate, there is nothing wrong with your DIY skills, it is the materials you have to work with. The PVC we have in the UK has the same structural integrity as drinking straws everywhere else in the world. Also, right angles are really tough to find as it is used for fluid flow.

Your best option is to make wooden or metal alternatives. Pretty sure you can find instructions in other threads on this board.

Some further detail on this thread here (WFS)

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=13951

Cheers, kempie

Last edited by Chris Kemp; 06-22-2008 at 12:19 PM..
Old 06-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
Dean Bozzano

Profile:

I made mine and just squeezed the joints together as they were a tight fit. I did not use any glue and they easily take the weight of anyone I have put on them. Just make sure you hammer it to the ends of the joint. Otherwise, I know they sell PVC cement for the joints at at Home Depot or Loews...I bought some to make a small slosh pipe for the kids but have not used it yet..
Old 06-23-2008, 01:25 AM   #8
Stephen A Hollingdale

Profile:

Cheers for the link Kempie; I will investigate making wooden ones and ditch the ones I have now. Shame though, they looked the business!

Oh well, have to brush up on the woodworking skills
Old 06-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #9
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

For a little bit more money I built my parallettes using threaded PVC parts, very stable and easy to take apart or rotate base to store if needed. No glue needed .
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19