CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-17-2004, 06:09 AM   #1
Hollis Petri

Profile:
Hi all, I compete in adventure races that could be anywhere from 8hr to 3days long. I would love to add crossfit to my training. I've read the posts about people just doing sports specific stuff 6 weeks or less before the event. My events last so long that I don't think that would work for me. Plus I'm not really ramping up for a particular event. It's more for a season of long weekends of either racing/speed mountain hiking, etc.

So i was hoping to get advice/alternatives to my ideas below. In both examples I'm in full training mode. It would be months before I get to that point. (coming off bad partial achilles tear) Thanks in advance.
1. doing crosstalk 5 day during the week in the mornings and one tempo run and one tempo bike during the week and then one long 4 - 12 hour lsd workout on saturday or sunday. Rest on opposite day.
2. Same as above but do the 3 on 1 off wod plan, other stuff stays the same.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
mark twight

Profile:

Hollis,

I'm maxed-out time-wise today so this has to be quick. The main comment I have right away is that #1 is a lot of volume with little recovery. If your CF and tempo work are of appropriate intensity you will likely need more rest than one day per week. This depends, of course on age, fitness, diet, sleep, work, etc.

To start, I suggest two months or so of CF only, 3 on 1 off and drop the lsd for that period. This is vital to learn the benefits of CF, sort out what kind of recovery you need, spot and work on weaknesses and so on. Once a good level of CF fitness and working knowledge of the program is established you will be better able to integrate CF into your endurance program.

Mark T.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:31 AM   #3
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Crosstalk = Doing CrossFit while watching CrossFire?:wink:

Just kidding, good luck with your training...:biggrin:
Old 11-17-2004, 03:11 PM   #4
Hollis Petri

Profile:
i think crosstalk was a software package i used to use...dating myself.

Mark thanks for the reply, 2 month cf only period makes sense. I'm still worried that I can't do both effectively. What does anybody think of:

STATIC WEEKLY SCHEDULE (not 3 on, 1 off)
---------------
Mon - WOD
Tue - WOD & Tempo bike
Wed - Rest
Thu - WOD & Tempo Run
Fri - WOD
Sat - 4 - 12hr LSD
Sun - Rest
- I would analyze the WODS each week and move them around to create best match up with tempo workouts
- sometimes Sunday and Saturday would switch
- Occasionaly do another WOD on LSD day

Questions:
- Enough WODS?
- Enough rest? (2 full days)
- Too much Tempo work? should one of the sessions be LSD as WOD is high intensity? (not that Tempo is but its not LSD either).

Thanks again
Old 11-17-2004, 03:47 PM   #5
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
Hey Hollis. I'm not a tech type of guy so this is anecdotal. Adventure raced for about 3 yrs starting with first Eco-Challenge in Utah(Fiasco!but good experience)and the Hi-tec sprints. Used to do all the traditional long runs, bikes and standard isolation weight routines. Always placed in top 5 in the men's division. so, my buddies and I not doing too badly. for the past 15 months have been crossfitting religiously. well, the first 8 or 9 months it kicked my butt so there was not a whole lot of biking or running going on. now, have reincorporated pack runs and usually use my bike for rest/recovery days. in march '04 did the Bataan Memorial Death March with no cramping or undue fatigue(after 8 months of crossfit and 3/4 2-3 hr pack runs a week). bottom line, listen to your body. i would suspect you will find less of a need for the tempo stuff and lsd should fit in nicely just about anywhere.