CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-24-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
Darren Zega

Profile:  
Ok, since starting CF, I've gone from thinking all of you zone fanatics were lunatics, to being able to entertain the concepts, to thinking it was probably a good idea, finally trying, and now I might actually be slightly willing to admit that I might just like it...maybe.

But I'm drawing the line in the sand with my booze. Yeah it creates catabolic conditions, blah blah blah, TOO BAD. A cold bottle of Sam Summer Ale after four hours of yard work is just too tasty. So, if I have to drink, does anyone know what the least bad stuff out there is? I heard a rumor that sour-mash whiskey wasn't too bad and that certain types off beers were better than others but I just wanted to see if any of you had any concrete knowledge.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
Steve Sheffar

Profile:
http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm

WFS
Old 07-24-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
Christine Reinhart

Profile:
Not sure if you're a wine guy, but that's my drink of choice when I'm going to indulge. There has been some research showing the health benefits of red wine....in moderation of course.

http://www.red-wine-and-health.com/

WFS
Old 07-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I dunno, I don't drink, but that's what I love about CF and the Zone, you pick the level you want to participate at. If you wanted to be an Olympic Downhill Skiier and your first name was *cough* Bode *cough*, I'd be if you drank all during your training and then went to the Olympics and drank there, putting out a less than mediocre performance.

But 99.999% of people aren't going for that level of performance, so we can pick what we want to follow, and be comfortable in the knowledge that we're way better off than we were before.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Good question, Darren. I'm not what you would call ripped--or attractive, or even remotely in-shape--but I draw a similar line in the sand. I get an idea of how much I'll be drinking--depending on the event--and consume x grams of protein to offset the oncoming carbs!

So yeah, knocking back a protein shake and rotisserie chicken probably wasn't contemplated by the Zone people, but rules are rules, right? :rtfm:

Did I mention that I wasn't ripped?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
Nikki Young

Profile:
Alcohol is very dehydrating, so drinking heaps of good clean water throughout the day and after drinking alcohol would be beneficial in keeping the body hydrated. Alcohol is generally quite acidic too, so along with good quality water, having LOTS of green leafy vegetables which are alkaline throughout the day, will help restore balance in the body.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #7
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Darren,
You can still follow Zone just look up the carb blocks for the alcohol
Old 07-25-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
Nick Cruz

Profile:
heh heh, if you went to the Crossfit Games you would have thought that Heineken and Coors Light were the official zone approved drink!

Personally I have come to really enjoy wine (Spanish and Argentinian reds are my favs). I used to drink CapnCokes almost exclusively but I cant stand the sugar anymore. I would think that mixed drinks would be the worst due to all of the added sugars etc.

You are 100% right though, An ice cold beer after some hard manual labor just tastes SO good!

(Message edited by blitzpb on July 25, 2007)
Old 07-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:
The best drink for you I think is a martini. It has like 80 calories, all of which come from alcohol. You would have to drink numerous beers to match the alcohol content, and, all the while, you would take in a lot of extra carbs. Personally, my drinking nights are my cheat meals and I pay for it in the weight room.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Brian,
Unfortunately, sitting around downing martini's makes for a short evening out for me.