CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Tish Traster

Profile:
Should I call clients / members who are slacking off?

Since opening my box, I have been transitioning my pt clients to group classes / gym members. I have one client that has joined, but because we no longer have a "scheduled" private session, she has been coming less and less.

If she were my personal training client, naturally I would call her if she 'no showed'. I have called her a couple of times to check on her, make sure she wasn't sick, etc...she's been pretty steady with me for about 6 months.

My question is this: How much is too much as far as calling and 'checking up' on missing clients? I figure after a couple of sincere 'I was worried about you.' calls, it would just become annoying. She's an adult, she knows where I am and the class schedule.

Any advice appreciated
Old 03-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Kris Murphy

Profile:
Re: Should I call clients / members who are slacking off?

I wouldn't just let it slide. If you keep checking up on her you tell her two things:

1) You care about her and want her to succeed

2) You don't feel comfortable taking her money if she's not coming
Old 03-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Steve Rakow

Profile:

Keep on her until she tells you to stop.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Generally I call my gymnasts after 2 weeks of not seeing them if they are in the 1-2x a week rec programs. If they were on team, when I would call them athletes, it might be slightly less than a week. Considering many CF affiliate members probably go 2-4x a week, well go from there.

I say for an affiliate, go just past a week. Like 9-10 days.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
Marc Tower

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Murphy View Post
I wouldn't just let it slide. If you keep checking up on her you tell her two things:

1) You care about her and want her to succeed

2) You don't feel comfortable taking her money if she's not coming
+1

I'll call my guys that day (I teach a 6am class) just to check on them and make sure everything is OK. Accountability is important, especially in the first month or so. I don't criticize them, just a friendly check up.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
Vanessa Lee

Profile:

From a customer's view it seems like she doesn't like the new group class system? (This is assuming she started with you on PT basis)

You've called her a couple of times so I think if she just wants private lessons then she should have said so. Maybe you can ask her if this is why she has stopped coming and then find a solution after that
Old 03-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Ken Weber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa Lee View Post
From a customer's view it seems like she doesn't like the new group class system? (This is assuming she started with you on PT basis)

You've called her a couple of times so I think if she just wants private lessons then she should have said so. Maybe you can ask her if this is why she has stopped coming and then find a solution after that
This just sparked an idea...while everybody who works out in group sessions should feel comfortable with working out while others are watching them, perhaps this lady does not? I'm not sure what her fitness level is, or how long she has been training but perhaps she simply doesn't feel comfortable really pushing her own limits in the company of other people that she may a) not know very well and/or b) may be in much better shape than her. Maybe if you feel it wouldn't be too personal of a question you could ask her about it. If it turns out that the reason she hasn't been coming in is because she feels she would be embarassed in a group session, then you could reassure her that everyone at your gym is going to be understanding and encouraging, and everyone (especially you as her coach) wants her to suceed and reach her goals. Make her feel comfortable pushing herself in front of these other people. Just a thought...I'm new here so if this seems completely off track then I'll just go back to lurkin' about.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
Michele Gibson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Weber View Post
This just sparked an idea...while everybody who works out in group sessions should feel comfortable with working out while others are watching them, perhaps this lady does not? I'm not sure what her fitness level is, or how long she has been training but perhaps she simply doesn't feel comfortable really pushing her own limits in the company of other people that she may a) not know very well and/or b) may be in much better shape than her. Maybe if you feel it wouldn't be too personal of a question you could ask her about it. If it turns out that the reason she hasn't been coming in is because she feels she would be embarassed in a group session, then you could reassure her that everyone at your gym is going to be understanding and encouraging, and everyone (especially you as her coach) wants her to suceed and reach her goals. Make her feel comfortable pushing herself in front of these other people. Just a thought...I'm new here so if this seems completely off track then I'll just go back to lurkin' about.

Ken I think you are on the right track! I am new here as well but if I had stopped going to a gym I would feel special if I had a trainer call me up asking is everything alright, or check in to see how things are going. Although some of these CF facilities can be very busy so whether they have time but sometimes a call like that will keep there business booming!
Old 03-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

We really stay on our people. I haven't had one tell me they were annoyed yet.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #10
Neil Khant

Profile:

Tish,

Call and ask her if there is any issues.

or

If this was a client that was previously a "1 on 1" client. Maybe they would rather go back to that. Most are encouraged to join the group, but if this may not be the style for her. I am not sure what your hours are or how your business is structured, but If the client likes the "1 on 1", can this be accommodated?

1 on 1 classes would generate a greater income, allowing you to more easily afford to train others in group settings. Or afford other trainer, equipment etc. Now I am not advocating the "Milking" of Clients. But if this is what they want, why not look at this as another way to sustain your growing business.

If "1 on 1" does not work with your business model, then call them till they say stop, or until it gets in the way of your business.