CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-04-2005, 08:14 AM   #1
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Anyone catch this month's article in Reason Magazine, "Straight Shooting on Gun Control"

Good read in my opinion.

Brad
Old 05-04-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
Don Woodson

Profile:
Brad, I looked at Reason Online, but I couldn't find that article.
(I guess it's rather apparent what side of that fence I'm sitting on.)
Old 05-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #3
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
I believe the issue on the website is from April... maybe they delay the online pub. a bit. The article is in the May issue.

What kind of rifle is that in the photo? Looks like a beauty.

Brad
Old 05-04-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Who was it that said:

"I have a very simple position on gun control. If there's a gun in the room, I want to be in control of it."

?
Old 05-04-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
Mike Minium

Profile:
My May issue hasn't arrived yet. But if the article's anything like More Guns, Less Crime, it should be a good one.

Mike
Old 05-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
gun control should be restricted to removing mirrors in gyms so that Bodybuilders would stop looking at their 'Gunz' and get out of the way.

Edit: I just realized that my profile photo is of me with my 30.06 snipe...I mean 'HUNTING' rifle.

and yes the target was supposed to blow up.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:02 PM   #7
Ronnie Boose

Profile:
Gun control means using both hands.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:06 AM   #8
Don Woodson

Profile:
Brad, that's my cheapo/retro project rifle. It's a Czech 8x57 Mauser. I've had to do some work on it to get to run right. Started off with about a 30lb trigger, I worked it down to about 7lbs, which is as good as it can get without putting in a Timney or something. I had to bend the bolt to get a scope to fit. Drilled and tapped it, and lapped the rings myself. Came out really straight. I really hated to put a scope on it, but with my bad eyes, I had no choice. I also bedded the reciever. Still trying to figure out a way to freefloat the barrel without losing the classic looks of it. I don't roll my own, and factory 8x57 ain't cheap, so I just use milsurp. Some good, some really bad. Maybe someday I'll get somebody that knows what they're doing to work up a custom load for it. I don't know jack about loading.
Me and my shootin buddy recently had a blast with it at the range. Played a prank on the other shooters. We were at the 600 yd range, and he was in the pit, and we were communicating via walkie talkie. There's several other people there with their fancy high dollar Sako's, and custom Rem700's etc. Well I'd shoot my three rounds off, he'd drop the target, get on the radio and say,"BEAUTIFUL!". Then he'd raise the target with three markers about three inches apart. :biggrin: I'd swab my barrel, adjust the scope a little, reload and fire again. My buddy again loudly praised the shots, and mark them and raise the target. This time my buddy put my three inch group dead center. You shoulda seen the look on them other guys faces! Priceless! One guy even said, "NO F*%^*#$ WAY!"
Actually, at 600yds, with milsurp ammo, dead flags, starting with a cold barrel, the best I can get out of it is maybe a 2.5 FOOT group. She does best at 300yds, 4-6 inches. It has a really heavy butt plate too, so if can't shoot anything with it, I can run up and club it to death.:proud:
One thing I learned the hard way: Cheap scopes will not hold up to a 8x57, and putting a $1000 Leupold on a 150 dollar rifle is hard for me to deal with.
I do someday want to get a Rem700, or maybe one of them new Savage's everyone's raving about. What I'd really like is one of them M1 Scouts in .308. Now THAT is a RIFLE. But I'm just there for the fun actually. Something to do. I'd still rather be SCUBA diving.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:14 AM   #9
Don Woodson

Profile:
Jeremy, I was thinking you were shooting a full auto. I saw some of them exploding targets somewhere. I might just have to pick some of them up. Looks like fun.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:23 AM   #10
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Gun control means hitting your target.