CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-29-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
Steve Liberati

Profile:
I picked up a book at Borders the other day titled, "Why Some Like it Hot" by Gary Nabhan. Half way through and so far its a worthy read. Anyway he points out tht the Cretan's cuisine turns out to be reputed to confer to humans the greatest lifespan and lowest rates of heart disease anywhere in the world.

Upon further reading I found this on page 106:

"We've been tracking 120 Cretans," he explained to us, "sixty of whom strictly observe the Greek Orthodox religios fasts that occur over 180 days each year."

"They fast for half the entire year?" ... "Most forego meat from livestock and dairy and eggs, while others forego olive oil (largest olive oil consumers in the world by the way!) as well. For many, land snails, calamari and other invertebretes are acceptable. There are days, however, when one must eat fish or not eat fish."

So what are the effects on the health of the fasters?

"It's significant-about a 12 percent reduction in their serum lipoproteins-the amount of fat their blood flow is carrying around. It has a measurable effect on the body fat composition as well."

He goes on to say, "It's not just the abstinence from certain foods-we also take special advantage of the seasonal wild plants that are available during these periods of religious obligation."

Personally, I've been practicing IF for the last 7-8 months now and have not felt (and looked) better in my life. Besides our personal attestments, its always nice to hear more information affirming what we are doing is right.

Good stuff, huh?
Old 09-29-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Traditional Roman Catholics would have done something similar. No red meat on a Friday or during Lent. However you are allowed to eat, just certain foods are off the menu. http://www.kencollins.com/question-38.htm
Old 09-29-2006, 09:32 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Dr Paul Bragg has been pushing fasting and juicing since the 60s (earlier?). His books are good little reads on it. That and he wants you to take Apple Cider Vinegar.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Steven - Interesting stuff, but I think this represents calorie/macro cycling more than IF. Based on what you posted, it seems that they're avoiding certain foods/emphasizing certain foods rather than avoiding food altogether.