CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-02-2005, 07:05 AM   #1
Ryan Abbott

Profile:
but first: Hello, I have been reading the discussion board for some time and the generosity is inspiring. I hope to be able to contribute something positive in the future.

At this point these are the basics that I have learned from the discussion board.
Lesson 1: take it easy for the first month
Lesson 2: listen to my body
Lesson 3: drink lots of water
Lesson 4: Eat the right foods
Lesson 5: Review 1 through 4

Recently I was just able to get rock bottom on pistols. This was a huge accomplishment for me since I have always had really weak legs. So at the moment I really want to GTG the pistol to build up the sheer strength that that builds. Additionally I have been following Coach Sommer's program as outlined in his article "Building an Olympic Body through Bodyweight Conditioning" with some great results, after only three weeks. I have also thrown some handstand work in.

Sorry to be so long-winded but my question is basically how to incorporate all of the above. Should I just review lessons 1 through 4 or did I miss something?

Thanks for any advice.

Here is a link for Coach Sommer's article if you haven't read it:
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode2/Workouts
Old 07-02-2005, 07:08 AM   #2
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
Welcome aboard. Subscribe to the Crossfit Journal (CFJ) and get all the back issues. There is a wealth of information in them and they get read over and over.

Jeremy
Old 07-02-2005, 07:23 AM   #3
Ryan Abbott

Profile:
Thanks, I am going to subscribe this week to the journal and I already have a few of the back issues. Are there any back issues that really stand out for you?
Old 07-02-2005, 07:30 AM   #4
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
I think it's CFJ #9, May 2003 has an article for a beginners wokout, They're all great though. I really couldn't pick just one. When I started, I'm still new, I just do the WOD scaled to my abilities and do any extra work in the warmup or after the WOD. I try to do at least 4 WOD's a week. That's what works for me so I don't kill myself.

Jeremy
Old 07-02-2005, 07:34 AM   #5
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
Just checked it is the May 2003 issue. Also, the November 2003 issue is all about nutrition, I'd get that one if I had to choose.

Jeremy
Old 07-03-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
Jim Butts

Profile:
Ryan,

You seem to have the basic idea, now just start. Don't worry too much about the details in the beginning. Doing WOD's for awhile will bring wonderful clarity to your questions, and of course you can always come back and ask more questions as needed. Show up, have fun with it, but just start...

Old 07-04-2005, 05:10 AM   #7
Graham Tidey

Profile:
You're doing good, man, pistols are hard exercises that require good balance and good strength - especially when you put your butt to the floor.

You can encorporate things like handstands and Sommer's planches by playing with them before or after the WoD, depending on which you feel better doing. CF people are fanatical about three things: squats, pullups and handstands - which means they must be good and worthy of practice.

Just make sure that every break is a short as possible and you constantly push yourself. For the first month I went at it as hard as I could but didn't time myself, so it might have taken a long time, but at least I was getting used to the intensity of the WoD's. In hindsight I probably should have kept a track of time anyway, though not strived to get a low time. This way I would have had even more motivation and a record of my improvements. So take from that what you will.

Also, search this forum for any questions you might have. There's almost nothing that hasn't been covered.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:27 AM   #8
Tim Weaver

Profile:
I'm new to Crossfit, and getting back into the "working out" game. I did (as best I could) the WODs for about 2 weeks just to get a feel for them.

After reading this thread, i dug out my CFJ "beginner's workout" as listed above and started that yesterday. That's my plan for the next 12 weeks.

The reason I did this is that it gives me a good baseline to see what improvement I am making, because you are doing the same exercises for the entire cycle. With WODs, there was such variation that though I might be getting fitter, I had no way of easily judging it other than the scale and clothing.

ALso, the beginner's workout will give me a good foundation to build into the WODs when I get back into them.

TimW
Phoenix
Old 07-05-2005, 10:06 AM   #9
Ryan Abbott

Profile:
Thanks for the tips and the positive attitude. Tim thanks for the tip about the beginners workout, I'll take a look.

I did today's WOD, it was tough but I made it through with a couple of modifications.