CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-14-2006, 07:43 AM   #1
Marc Allain

Profile:
Not physically but the one that is easiest on your joints. I usually do them on a bar with my palms facing away from me but when I do alot i notice soreness in the elbows.

What I'm wondering is what combination of hand position and ring/bar is easiest on the joints?

Thanks all!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:55 AM   #2
Guest2

Profile:

rings will probably be most forgiving simply because they allow your arms/shoulders to move naturally. similar to the difference between using dumbbells versus a barbell.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
Ian Carver

Profile:
Ditto to what Greg posted. To follow up Greg's post, think of it this way. If you are locked in a fixed position by a piece of equipment, you may not find the most advantageous position for your body to work at. Biomechanically, you may be better off with one hand cocked in a little one direction and the other in a slightly different spot. This is because as the body moves through the exercise, the bones and joints should move independently of each other in order to keep everything working as efficiently as possible with as little aggravation/pressure to the joints and connective tissues as possible. If you are locked into a position, it may be too much for certain joint to endure on a repetitive basis.

I don't know if you ride road or mountain bikes, but the same pricinple applies to clipless pedals with side to side float in them. Prior to clipless pedals, you were locked in with toeclips and straps in a position as close to optimal as possible. After many years and lots of painful knees, equipment manufacturers LOOK and TIME figured out that the bones and joints from the ankle up, all move somewhat independently in slightly different directions when creating the best pedalling motion and power output. Hence the float in the pedals and the release of tension on the joints. The same thing applies with using the rings for pullups. You can still do pull ups with palms in, out, or neutral, but the slight allowance of movement is a help to the joints and stabilizer muscles.

Good luck and stay fit!