CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-27-2005, 08:16 PM   #1
Andrew Stolarik

Profile:
yesterday i ewnt to home depot and purchased a manila rope about 3/4 inches. however, does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:06 AM   #2
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
check under equipment. someone just did a big post showing how to "braid" the rope, hang it etc.
could also run search...
Old 07-28-2005, 10:25 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Andrew:

Not sure just exactly what you're asking . . . I'm tempted to just say:

1) hang rope
2) climb

If you're looking for help on how to make and/or hang the rope, use the search function on the message boards (particularly under "Equipment" . . . there have been several threads on that subject).

If you're looking for advice literally on "how to climb", well, there's not very much to it. Hand over hand . . . it's tough. Works your grip, pulling strength, core strength, pretty much everything.

Sometime (a while back) there was WOD on the main page (I think) with pictures of alternative ways to use your feet to rest on the rope as you climb . . . essentially, you wrapped the rope around one leg and then "pinned" it between the top of the foot (on that leg) and the sole of the other foot. (The pinning could also be across the shin of the leg the rope is wrapped around, rather than the top of the foot.) This position is fairly secure, and allows you to completely unload (rest) your arms.

Best of luck,
Dave
Old 07-28-2005, 06:41 PM   #4
James Falkner

Profile:
What about rope with knots? Is that considered cheating? Is it a good way to start off for those of us who can't tarzan/jane ourselves up on day#1?
Old 07-30-2005, 04:40 AM   #5
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
James, I wouldn't call it cheating, more like a progression towards climbing a rope without knots. A rope without knots is the end goal, knots are the means to get there.

Jeremy
Old 07-30-2005, 06:05 AM   #6
James Falkner

Profile:
Thanks for the info. My problem is my rope only hangs from a 9' ceiling, so I have to start in a sitting position, and I'd like to do L-sit rope pulls (i.e. not use my legs to help out). I can't currently do that ;-)
Old 07-30-2005, 08:01 AM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Starting from the seated position seems to be amazingly harder than it ought to be . . . I find it very tough. Maybe it's just holding the "L". I can climb hand-over-hand, without help from the legs, but doing it from the seated position just slays me.

I'd agree with Jeremy that a rope with knots isn't "bad", just "transitional" . . . except that I never found it all that much help . . . the knots hurt my hands more than they gave me anything to hang on to. Also, a overhand knot weakens a rope (by as much as 50%, theoretically), so I wouldn't use one unless the rope was clearly "over-built" for the load you'll be putting on it . . . if it's marginal to begin with, don't knot it (well, don't use it at all, actually, but especially, don't knot it).

Andrew, the video link posted on today's WOD (Saturday, 050730) shows exactly what I was talking about in terms of wrapping the rope around one leg and using that to climb.