CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-12-2006, 02:50 AM   #1
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
General consensus from my Doc, Sports Doc and Physio is that I've sprained a rib, about a month ago!:blush: Around the T7/T8. The sprain is fine, it's the accompanying muscle spasm around the rhomboids that is causing the pain. Especially when I sneeze! Ouch!!! I have searched through the various posts that deal with anything remotely like this and most people have suggested ice is the way to go. My doc, sports doc and physio have all recommended heat, but after doing the heat thing for the past week and getting no relief, I'm wondering if ice wil help or hinder. I'm not doing any physical activity until this settles down, apart from trying to stretch and mobilise the area. I'm also off to an acupuncturist tomorrow at the recommendation of my physio as he believes acupuncture may settle the spasm. So I guess after all that, my question is ice or heat? And if anyone wants to add their $0.02 worth, I'll take it. This is really frustrating the out of me.:angry:
Old 09-12-2006, 05:29 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Has anybody made sure that the rib is in place? Rib joints just like other joints can get knocked out of place and even a small amount of displacement can cause lots of pain and muscle spasms.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:47 AM   #3
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
Funny you should mention that because that is exactly what it feels like. I've seen two very competant physiotherapists, at least I believe they are (both manip physio's with considerable experience) who have worked extensively on my back over the past week or so. One did mention that the rib was riding a bit higher than the others and promptly popped it back down. I don't know if that means it was out. But it felt good for a little while (until my next deep breath). The physio said today that the joint is hinging instead of gliding and that a lot of my problem is caused by stiff spinal segments around T6,7 & 8, if that makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion Jeremiah. I'm getting some acupuncture tomorrow (Wed here in Oz) and then some more physio on Thurs and I will bring it up then about the rib being out. Cheers
Old 09-12-2006, 06:12 AM   #4
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
If you are clear about the rib being in place (check with a physician!), and massage is an option, you can self-massage your rhomboids with a tennis ball, lying on your back on the floor.

See http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/14941.html for instructions on how to massage.

This should really help with the cramps.

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian
Old 09-12-2006, 06:27 AM   #5
Jake Thompson

Profile:
Get a foam roller and roll out your T-spine, It may take a few session of 15-20 rolls, but eventually things will release, your rib if subluxed will reduce.

Your other option, quickest releif, is to find a sports chiro/or PT (physical therapist not personal trainer) that is trained in manual techniques. NAIOMT.com has a list of very competent therapists. if the rib is subluxed a quick manipulation will reduce it and your sx should be gone the next day. Hope that helps.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
It sounds like the Physio did reduce the rib, may also still have some vertebral rotation, but if the PT knows to look at the rib they should know about the possibility of rotating too, and have probably already looked at that. The rib may also come back out as well until you get everything going in the right direction with soft tissue, joints, muscle spasms and the like it can take sometime, but if they are a good therapist it should be no problem getting it fixed.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:43 AM   #7
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
Well after no response to 2 weeks of treatment, I had a bone scan and x-ray today. No wonder the physio wasn't helping, I've got a fractured rib!!! The fracture is in the 4th rib adjacent to the costotransverse joint. I think I've traced its origin back to a few weeks ago. Now don't laugh too hard but I did it when I was messing around in the front yard with my kids doing handstands and tuck rolls. I decided to do a bit of a diving tuck roll over my 6year old, mis-timed it and took most of the impact on my upper back. It knocked the wind outa me but I didn't think anymore of it until about 2 days ago. My doc couldn't stop laughing!!! So I'm guessing rest for a few weeks is the key and once recovered practice tuck rolls on a softer surface and from a more suitable height!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 08:50 AM   #8
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I'm laughing, but only because I did the same thing about 3 or 4 months ago. Fortunately I didn't break anything other than my pride, but the kids were in the pool so I was practicing and I kicked up too hard, but instead of rolling out like I know to do, I tried to recover and slammed down hard.

I would give it another 2-4 weeks before working on that again to make sure that rib is healed before you risk it again. typical is 6 weeks for bone to heal, but as long as your not a smoker or diabetic 4 weeks should be ok for a nondisplaced rib fracture. Just let your body tell you what its ready to do.