CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-03-2006, 06:59 AM   #1
Josh Brehm

Profile:
For a few months now I've had almost constant knee pain (the times when I don't being when I workout the hardest, go figure). I've been to two doctors already, one regular doc, and one who specializes in knees. The first one said something about how my doing pistols (i did one on my good leg in front of him and he said "that's not right...") and squats below parallel are causing the pain, despite my knee feeling better when I do them. he said I need to lay off of it and listen to my body when it says it hurts (meaning if my knee hurts, don't use it).

The second doctor asked me questions like; does it hurt when you walk down stairs or downhill more than going up, does it hurt when going down into a squat more than when going up, and some other question and after saying yes to all of them he said i have some sort of overuse injury, and that i needed to give my knee a week or two, i did and nothing happened, so now I'd like to know if anyone here has any advice or knowledge...

The pain for the most part is right above my right knee, feels like the quadricep tendon. hurts when going downhill/downstairs and when doing squats of any kind (especially when going down). Also, when I go down into a full squat, there seems to be an excessive amount of pressure on my knee, like there's a bar right behind my knee and when i'm going down, my knee is folding around it. One of my guesses is that my quads aren't stretched enough and neither are my hamstrings, but I don't know for sure. Any advice?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
John Seiler

Profile:
Josh,
I don't have any specific advice about the knees; although posting a video on the Digital Coaching section might help us see if there is anything wrong form-wise with your exercises.

Rather, my advice would be about the docs. Find one that deals with Athletes at a University or Pro level. It should be easy to find on Google. My orthopoedic surgeon was a team doc for the KC Chiefs. He "gets" that I value my athleticism and structures his advice within those parameters. He's also used to seeing athletes and will have a better idea of what various aches and pains mean from healthy, active clients as opposed to the sedentary populations that make up the bulk of most docs practices.

Best of luck.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
Paul Findley

Profile:
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/

My knee hurt for a while after starting heavy into squats, its much better now. I found the above link with some knee info. I did back off on deep squatting for a while, and concentrated on keeping my feet pointed more forward. I believe that I was (am) too weak and was compensating improperly.

There are glands and fluids on the back of the knee that sound like could be involved in the sensation behind your knee. I would think a professional would have seen somthing, but then again, it is *practicing* medicine.

The notion of "listening to the pain" is a good idea. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Thanks guys. I may make an appointment with a sport doc soon if this keeps up.

Paul, when I said it feels like a bar behind my knee, I didn't mean I felt anything unusual behind my knee. Try putting a pen, or something a little thicker between two of your fingers and squeeze the fingers together (with them straight, acting like the upper and lower leg), see how the base knuckles of those fingers seperate a little bit when you try to squeeze? that's how it feels when I squat all the way down, mostly just early in the morning but often it will last, to a lesser degree, throughout the rest of the day.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
Allan Fisher

Profile:
Seeing an expert is a good idea, but here is my experience, which may have some commonality. I had gone a few months with a sore knee, and by the time I went to get treatment that quad was smaller, weaker and tighter than the other. One consequence was that that kneecap was pulled upward and interfering with the femur during flexion, limiting ROM and aggravating the soreness. I'm currently working on stretching and strengthening the quad, along with other things.