CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
John Vanecko

Profile:
I am able to pre-fit an attachment in a 2-story ceiling prior to the sheet rock being installed and wanted to know if anyone had some advice on what to use as the "holds" for my rope. I am placing two 2X8's together and having them rest on the ceiling trusses. the plan was to have two eye bolts pre-screwed into the 2X8's and then have the the 2X8's nailed to the trusses and when the sheet rock was put in the ceiling, only the eye holes would be visable. then some webbing and locking biners would be used to attached the rope. i was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions on how to best do this opperation or if regular eye bolts from home depot would suffice. i am not sure of the load the non-forged eyebolts hold and wondered if they are strong enough or if i have to get forged ones? or maybe have some webbing just placed over the 2X8's and have the webbing hang through the sheet rock and use biners to hold the rope that way? any suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated !!!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Another idea might be to get some thick wall square tubing with flanges welded on the ends. Place that between the trusses, held in place with bolts. Have the tubing pre-drilled and fit with threading to accept the eye-bolt. If you do this, make sure you use a locking nut arrangement on the eye-bolt.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:32 AM   #3
John Vanecko

Profile:
My real question I guess is , will a normal eye bolt purchased at home depot (the ones that are bent after the steel is hardened) and that aren't actually a closed system hold weight for an indefinite period of time? The more I think about this the more I am questioning wether it is worth the risk since once this dry wall (sheet rock) is up, i really don't have access to the bolt again to do any changing out of bolts over time.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:49 AM   #4
Michael Leach

Profile:
i've got a set of 3/8" eye bolts in my garage for my rings (drilled through a rafter and put a couple washers on top of the stud and double-nutted it).

then did the same thing for my 2nd set of rings in the living room, except that i used 1/2" eye bolts and i had to reinforce the studs to get the width i wanted.

i have 2 ropes hanging in my garage and i used these little brackets that accepted 4 bolts and had a ring hanging down. i enlarged the bolt holes a little bit and used some big lag screws going into the rafters.

for my rope climb im building outside, im going to pickup a 1/2" stainless eye bolt and drill through the 4x4 and put a couple washers on top along with double-nutting it.

When you double-nut it, you lock the nuts against each other and it allows the eye-bolt to spin freely. otherwise if you kept cranking down on one nut, it would keep pulling the eye-bolt up into the ceiling and through the sheet-rock and whatever else and that wouldn't be very pretty.

here's my madness in the living room. yeah, its complete overkill, thats how i do things. :-)

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7...0/CIMG4254.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7...0/CIMG4255.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7...0/CIMG4260.jpg
Old 09-08-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
James R. Climer

Profile:
my 2nd set of rings in the living room

I always look for this feature on real estate home listings.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
John,
All of the stuff I found at Home Depot, Lowe's etc. said specifically do not use for human weight. For that reason alone I went to an industrial supply place and got something that would. They were cast steel and machined. About double what you would pay at Home Depot, but still under $10 each. I would be leery of anything bolted into place that I wasn't able to access to check every now and then.
Just my two cents.
Kurtis Bowler
Rainier CrossFit