CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-23-2004, 11:01 AM   #1
Joe Felix

Profile:  
I need help deciding which nutritional aproach to take. My most immediate goal is to lose 50lbs of fat. I fully understand The Zone and Atkins. I don't know as much as I should about Paleo. I would appreciate some advice from my fellow Pukie's out there. I need to lose wight.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:09 PM   #2
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Hi Joe, apart from diet what else do you intend to do to facilitate your weight lose? What sort of exercise do you do/like? Your current lifestyle is an important factor when deciding upon a nutritional approach.

Also, how much commitment do you have to achieve your goals? Paleo requires plenty of self-education and then sacrafice... its surprising how much ot the food we eat today is non-paleo.

It may help if you can predefine additional and complimentary goals.... like improving your cardiovascular fitness and the strength of compound muscle groups.

Speak soon.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:18 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Joe-

In essence Zone is paleo. We are not simply looking at ratios of macronutrients but quality. Atkins at maintaince level is...the Zone...which is paleo!

I would not get to hung up on which exact plan you follow. Getting moving with the WOD and trying to get a good serving of protein at each of your 4-6 meals per day(hint) will take care of things.

Read through the archives! Lots of goodies there
Robb
Old 04-23-2004, 02:08 PM   #4
Joe Felix

Profile:  
Paul-

I will stick to the WOD as my source of exercise. I really enjoy the randomness of it all. As a beginer, I intend to follow Coach's advice of getting thru the WOD any way that I can with the goal of establishing form first and speed second.

Up until now, I have had a work-a-holic lifestyle. Lots of time spent at work and nothing else. I was simply too exhausted to maintain any sort of exercise regimen which only made it worse.

My commitment is solid. I have made some big changes in my life. I quit my job and I now work from home. I quit alcohol cold turkey... I woke up one morning three years ago and decided alcohol was preventing me from acheiving many goals in my life. I have accomplished many things I have put my mind to. Having the body of my dreams is not one of them.

My first goal is to lose weight. I would like to weigh 175lbs and be solid as a rock. As far as fitness goals are concerned, I would like to improve in every one of the ten general physical skills that Coach talks about. I completely buy into the Crossfit system. I can't say that about any other fitness program I have ever tried.

Your help is really appreciated.

-Joe

Old 04-23-2004, 02:18 PM   #5
Joe Felix

Profile:  
Robb-

I see! said the blind man...

Ok, all three plans call for low glycemic carbs, lean protein and quality fat at a 40/30/30 ratio. Also, eat smaller and more frequent meals.

Thank you so much for your input. Any other advice?

Old 04-23-2004, 02:54 PM   #6
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Joe - You are best off following Robb's advice regarding nutrition. Robb's knowledge and experience of nutrition is vastly superior to mine.

I too am in the early stages of learning about the dynamics of various nutritional models. My strengths are more exercise physiology based at the moment.

As Robb was saying Atkins Maintenance and The Zone are paleo, provided (I think) that your carbohydrate sources are non-grain or dairy based, your veggies are not starch based root vegetables like potatoes or parsnips, and your nuts are in fact nuts and not legumes. Is this near enough Robb?

For increased health benefits, I'd advise a 20-30 min interval/fartlek based cardio session 2-3 x per week on top of WOD. I have a heart the size of the average football, with coronary arteries as thick as my fingers, and a resting heart rate of 38 .... the strength and fitness of the heart is in my opinion the most important core element of any exercise programme. An element of cardiovascular development will be achieved via WOD, but some specific cardio will compliment and add to this.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:27 AM   #7
Brian Hand

Profile:

Joe, I'd like to add that your temperment might be a good factor to consider when making your choice. Since all three wind up at similar macronutrient ratios, I guess the real question is, do you go the ketogenic (Atkins) route for initial weight loss?

I think this approach has a lot to be said for it. Are you a "drastic situations call for drastic measures" type of person? A ketogenic diet is drastic. A cyclic ketogenic diet like Duchaine's "Body Opus," or DiPasquale's Anabolic Diet, is almost as extreme.

If you are a planner, measured, reasoned, you might be better off with the Zone. Also if you are prone to cheating the Atkins plan is not for you. Follow the Zone 80% and you're going to get 80% of the benefits. Screw up one meal a day on Atkins, and you are a mess.

One last thing, I'd read the book for whatever you try. If you go ketogenic, Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution is the best $6 you can spend. Sometimes people have a partial understanding of the diet and their results are very disappointing.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:40 AM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Paul-
Looks good to me and thank you for the kind words!

Brian-
Excellent advice.
Robb
Old 04-26-2004, 08:59 PM   #9
Joe Felix

Profile:  
Brian-
Thanks for the advice. You hit the nail on the head regarding cheating. I always figured if I cheated one day I could just continue on the next w/o repercussions. I did not realize Atkins was so strict. I think I'll read more regarding this method before I make a decision.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:03 PM   #10
Joe Felix

Profile:  
Paul-
Where can I get more info re: interval/fartlek based cardio? I assume it differs from riding a stationary bike or other form of cardio for 30 minutes w/o interuption.

Joe