CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
Ewen Roth

Profile:
Vibram FiveFingers fit

I looked through a few relevant threads but couldn't really find an answer to my problem.

I tried on a pair of Sprits yesterday, size 42. It felt snug at the toes and midfoot, but I had a good 1/2 inch of room behind each heel. It seemed like I could keep the shoe tight enough using the straps, but I was wondering if anybody has had that issue before.

The store was low on stock so I tried a pair of Flows, size 41, to see if I should look for size 41 Sprints. First of all, what a pain to put on! With the neoprene full-coverage lining, it's even harder to access the toes (my feet aren't exactly Greek statue quality, I have to nudge each toe into its little slot by hand). Second, I ripped the lining on one of the shoes while struggling to fit my toes in. So that experiment was over in a hurry.

Bottom line: should I hunt for size 41's, or is the extra length behind the heel not a problem? I plan to use my FF's for running, CF, the usual.

Note: I have wide feet and usually wear a size 44-45 European for normal shoes.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Pat McElhone

Profile:
Re: Vibram FiveFingers fit

I had the same probelm, tried on 43s, fit great in the toes, felt snug on the foot, but had some room in the heel. I was concerned about the heel, tried on the 42s, but those were way tight. I bought the 43s (that was about 10months ago) and have never thought once I bought the wrong size.

There are threads related to this, some may say something different. But, I have never once had a problem with some extra room (about an inch) in my heel. I have sprints, too.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
Ewen Roth

Profile:

Thanks for the input, Pat. Come to think it is more like 3/4" or 1", not 1/2" of extra heel space that I would be looking at. So based on your experience, this isn't a problem. I'll see what others have to say, but sounds reassuring.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Camille Lore

Profile:  

I never measured the extra space in the heel, but I did notice it when I bought the shoes and tried them on. I tried on the size indicated by the little rubber sizing tool at the dealer. I really haven't noticed the space in the heel past the first two weeks....in the beginning I thought the shoe might be too big, but I don't even notice anymore.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
Dan Morgan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McElhone View Post
I had the same probelm, tried on 43s, fit great in the toes, felt snug on the foot, but had some room in the heel. I was concerned about the heel, tried on the 42s, but those were way tight. I bought the 43s (that was about 10months ago) and have never thought once I bought the wrong size.

There are threads related to this, some may say something different. But, I have never once had a problem with some extra room (about an inch) in my heel. I have sprints, too.
Exactly the same as me. I have read on these boards that a little space doesn't matter.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Jason Naubur

Profile:

My Sprints also have space at the back - no problems for me after over a year.

I just bought some Flows for the cool weather. True pain in the butt to put on. They do fit snugger than the Sprints once on. I went a size down for the Flows. (Vibram recommended this too)