CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 04-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Emily Mattes

Profile:
Jeans for dudes with big legs

I have a couple of male friends in Olympic weightlifting who have a heck of a time finding jeans that fit both waist, thigh, and butt. Generally anything that fits in the thigh/butt is at least two inches too large in the waist, if not more. Looking for "relaxed" fits has not helped. Can any guys recommend them good jeans that fit the man with athletic legs?
Old 04-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Jeans for dudes with big legs

I buy jeans that are a size bigger in the waist and wear a belt. I haven't found any jeans that I look good in, and fit the waist and legs at the same time.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Derek Franks

Profile:

Buy jeans that fit through the seat and legs and then take them to a tailor to get the waist taken in. Should probably cost about $10 per pair.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
David Gray

Profile:

Buy women's jeans?
Old 04-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Problem is, one guy is buying his jeans in three to four sizes too big to get jeans that fit his thighs. Not even a belt is able to make up for the massive bunching.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gray View Post
Buy women's jeans?

Yeah, I can see that suggestion going over like a fart in church. BTW, women's clothing isn't much better. You'll get extra room in the seat POSSIBLY if you're lucky, but no dice on room in the thighs.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Problem is, one guy is buying his jeans in three to four sizes too big to get jeans that fit his thighs. Not even a belt is able to make up for the massive bunching.
That's why you take them to a tailor who can take in the waist or even recut the jeans.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
Jeff Yan

Profile:

"Loose fit" is roomier than "relaxed". Have you tried that?

In terms of brands, I've been recommended CK over Levi's. I've also found a pair of relaxed or loose Lee jeans that felt alright. However, I think it's really debatable as to whether or not one brand will definitively fit better since each one will carry several different fit designs anyway.

You can also try carpenter jeans, which are typically very roomy or perhaps consider companies that make work clothes (Dickies, Carhartt, etc.). I imagine those are designed to be more functional than fashionable, so I wouldn't expect them to be either appropriate for going out or particularly flattering to the individual's butt.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I found work clothes are worse. Dickies and that sort of thing tend to be straight leg, at least in my experince.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
Jeff Yan

Profile:

"Straight leg" refers more to the leg opening and lower leg than to the fullness of the cut around the thighs. That is, straight leg/boot cut/tapered leg doesn't necessarily have anything to do with slim/regular/easy/relaxed/loose/baggy fits, which is more about the upper leg and seat area.

At least that's what I think it is. I had some girl try to explain it to me.

-----

On a side note, the same girl told me that nobody should wear tapered leg jeans. Personally, as a person who lives in a crowded metropolitan area, I'm not a fan of boot cut jeans as the backs of the cuffs tend to drag on the ground. This means that the bottoms of the jeans will fray quickly and I may trip on my pants a little while taking stairs. It also means that my pants may come in direct contact with the subway platform and that they will absorb any nasty rain water or mystery puddles I step in. And on a note related to the mystery puddles, there are a lot of dog owners around here. I also live in Chinatown where like 80% of the roadside garbage is from restaurants, fish markets and fruit stands.

On the other hand, too small of a leg opening means that you won't be able to lift up your pant leg over your calf to scratch your knee if it itches.