CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Jibreel Freeland
Member Jibreel Freeland is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 548
Yams-the Magic Behind the Insane Bolt

with some chicken nuggets on the side. I heard they use real meat in them now which actually may be a decent source of complete protein.

All WFS links about Usain Bolt's diet:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcs...ical_yams.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-20702431/
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Zygmunt Bukowski
Member Zygmunt Bukowski is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Waukegan  IL
Posts: 104
Re: Yams-the Magic Behind the Insane Bolt

Yams are a starchy food rich in vitamins, in many respects like potatoes. You can eat all of them you want but I don't think it'll transform you into a demigod.
Most of the millions of people worldwide who eat yams do not seem to enjoy any particular benefit.

I think Usain's success has more to do with a hugely pro-sprinting culture at home, an extremely advantageous physiology, and almost certainly, lots of doping.

He most likely hasn't fussed around with calorie sheets or blocks. Besides doping, he's probably just trained harder and smarter than the competition, exploiting his genetic hand more effectively than his opponents (all naturally gifted and doped to the gills). I'm sure he's watched his diet quite carefully but hasn't lost sleep over maintaining exact ratios or racking up the right meal points.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
David Wood
Departed David Wood is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2002
 
Posts: 3,303
Re: Yams-the Magic Behind the Insane Bolt

Zygmunt, c'mon.

3 accusations of doping in two paragraphs. Beyond the general assumption that "all pro athletes use drugs", do you have any specific evidence regarding Usain Bolt's use of performance enhancers?

If so, let's hear it (and let's take it to the various regulatory bodies). If not, how about a few qualifiers like "possible doping"?

Seriously, let's not trash a magnificent performance without actual evidence.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Paul Epstein
Member Paul Epstein is offline
 
Paul Epstein's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Perth  WA
Posts: 160
Re: Yams-the Magic Behind the Insane Bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt Bukowski View Post
and almost certainly, lots of doping.
You are a tester who has been involved in his sample analysis and your releasing your findings on Crossfit first???

edit: beaten to it...

i have read a few accusations of 'he must be doping' floating around fitness boards... funny that not many are accusing Phelps of doping...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:54 PM   #5
Zygmunt Bukowski
Member Zygmunt Bukowski is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Waukegan  IL
Posts: 104
Re: Yams-the Magic Behind the Insane Bolt

The doping issue is both complex and sketchy, but it is almost certainly more prevalent and difficult to resolve than is commonly admitted.

Consecutive 50+ homerun seasons for multiple age 30+ players in the MLB are a phenomenon that has existed since doping became prevalent in baseball.

Likewise let's face it, sub 10 second 100 meter dash times came with the onset of doping.
It is already well known that the 100M is one of the most doped up sports in the world. For every reigning champion that has been caught(Ben Johnson, Marion Jones) others have been caught and then given 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances to pass (Carl Lewis) by their governments.

Now, what are the chances that from one yam farming parish in a poor island country of 2.5 million people comes a consistent crop of world class sprinters? Supposedly those with West African blood have better genes for sprinting, but how does this explain the phenomenon of Trelawny Parish?
A supportive culture alone is not enough to make world class.

Jamaicans have been talented at sprinting since they first entered the Olympics(in the early 50s?) but they seem to dominate now that they have taken all their training programs from the US and Canada to their low tech island nation where full government drug tests are a practical impossibility.
It's quite possible the Jamaicans have figured out how to get away with things others can't.

As for detecting modern doping, it's extremely difficult. Athletes tend to dope with substances that naturally occur in their bodies, or soon become indistinguishable from them. They're in many cases higher levels of what they naturally have and blend in seamlessly with their physiology. Testers have to know what they are looking for; new substances are introduced and cocktails improvised all the time. Dopers have historically had the advantage over testers. Some dopers are caught in every international athletic competition yet this trend does not come to a stop. Clearly, then, it is at least somewhat reasonable for athletes to expect they can get away with it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
Victor Putz
Member Victor Putz is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oxford  UK
Posts: 554
Re: Yams-the Magic Behind the Insane Bolt

Sure, but to quote David with appropriate emphasis,

Quote:
Beyond the general assumption that "all pro athletes use drugs", do you have any specific evidence regarding Usain Bolt's use of performance enhancers?
No, you don't seem to. So therefore you must make the tacit assumption that all the competitors were thus doping, in which case you would have to admit that Usain Bolt, while doped, beat the living hell out of a bunch of other competitors who also doped, and he'd still be a world-class athlete.

But since you don't have specific evidence that he doped, I'd prefer to believe the match was relatively clean. Quite possibly it wasn't. Personally, I don't care, because it's clear that he's a fantastic athlete with a great deal of talent and power.

At any rate, I think the best lesson from all this to the zone fanatics out there is that amazingly enough Usain Bolt eats a fair amount of starch and hasn't blown up like a zeppelin from teh debil carbs.

(I'm not saying that Zone is rubbish and we should all suck down white sugar like it's going out of style, because it clearly has merit and white sugar is pretty bad stuff in quantity--just that you're not going to lose five pounds of lean body mass for licking a crouton if a world-class athlete eats yams in quantity on a regular basis)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:51 AM   #7
Robert Johnson
Member Robert Johnson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Worksop  Nottinghamshire
Posts: 75
Re: Yams-the Magic Behind the Insane Bolt

There is an FHM article claiming the nuggets are a joke, and that he actually eats 1g per lb of protein, 60% protein, 30% carbs, rice, bread, some kind of Jamaican porridge stuff.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:50 AM   #8
Matthew Stafford
Member Matthew Stafford is offline
 
Matthew Stafford's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gaithersburg  MD
Posts: 321
Re: Yams-the Magic Behind the Insane Bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt Bukowski View Post
The doping issue is both complex and sketchy, but it is almost certainly more prevalent and difficult to resolve than is commonly admitted.

Consecutive 50+ homerun seasons for multiple age 30+ players in the MLB are a phenomenon that has existed since doping became prevalent in baseball.

Likewise let's face it, sub 10 second 100 meter dash times came with the onset of doping.
It is already well known that the 100M is one of the most doped up sports in the world. For every reigning champion that has been caught(Ben Johnson, Marion Jones) others have been caught and then given 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances to pass (Carl Lewis) by their governments.

Now, what are the chances that from one yam farming parish in a poor island country of 2.5 million people comes a consistent crop of world class sprinters? Supposedly those with West African blood have better genes for sprinting, but how does this explain the phenomenon of Trelawny Parish?
A supportive culture alone is not enough to make world class.

Jamaicans have been talented at sprinting since they first entered the Olympics(in the early 50s?) but they seem to dominate now that they have taken all their training programs from the US and Canada to their low tech island nation where full government drug tests are a practical impossibility.
It's quite possible the Jamaicans have figured out how to get away with things others can't.

As for detecting modern doping, it's extremely difficult. Athletes tend to dope with substances that naturally occur in their bodies, or soon become indistinguishable from them. They're in many cases higher levels of what they naturally have and blend in seamlessly with their physiology. Testers have to know what they are looking for; new substances are introduced and cocktails improvised all the time. Dopers have historically had the advantage over testers. Some dopers are caught in every international athletic competition yet this trend does not come to a stop. Clearly, then, it is at least somewhat reasonable for athletes to expect they can get away with it.
So, basically, you are assuming he doped because he did too well. We all know assumption makes an *** out of you and Mr. Umption (Please, for the love of god, someone remember this movie)...

If you did the most basic research, you'll see that Bolt was an incredibly talented youth. You'll also see that he has been a track and field athlete for much of his short life, and before that he played cricket. Just like America produces great Football and Baseball players, Canada great Hockey Players, and New Zealand great Rugby players, Jamaica produces great sprinters. When an athlete is trained from youth for a specific sport, the athletes tend to excel in that sport.
__________________
5'9" - 176lbs. - Down 30lbs. since starting CrossFit in July 2008

Last edited by Matthew Stafford : 08-22-2008 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Grammar and word choice
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:57 AM   #9
Paul McKirdy
Member Paul McKirdy is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norfolk  VA
Posts: 53
Re: Yams-the Magic Behind the Insane Bolt

Jealousy is still one of the ugliest human characteristics.
__________________
"Let's hit it with a rock, and eat it!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
Jibreel Freeland
Member Jibreel Freeland is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 548
Re: Yams-the Magic Behind the Insane Bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt Bukowski View Post
Yams are a starchy food rich in vitamins, in many respects like potatoes.

Thanks for the Yams 101.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Usain Bolt Brian Degenaro Stuff and Nonsense 17 08-20-2008 10:53 PM
New 100m world record : Usain Bolt ! Richard Vanmeerbeek Stuff and Nonsense 10 06-03-2008 09:14 AM
This is insane! Kevin McKay Community 13 09-16-2006 09:58 AM
Yams? Thomas James Nutrition 7 07-10-2006 06:50 AM
Laura's "Insane Pursuit" Fiona Muxlow Competitions 4 11-23-2005 03:27 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.