CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #101
Joseph E. Morris

Profile:
Re: Military says You’re Too Flabby For CrossFit

Mark -- to some extent, yes, though much of the issues with form would remain. But the great strength of CrossFit -- measurability -- would probably be lost.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #102
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

(WFS) http://www.wpafb.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123184484
(found it while searching for a gym while I'm there)

Quote:
The facility, known as the Jarvis Gym, is located in the Kittyhawk section of the base and has been closed for a number of years. Col. **** *****, 88th Air Base Wing commander, decided to invest in renovating and reopening the facility with this specialized purpose to help dramatically improve fitness levels for Airmen. He tasked Chief Master Sgt. **** *******, 88 ABW Command Chief, to take the lead on this project.
Troy, maybe some of the "brass" are uninformed, but a Colonel (O-6) and Chief MSgt (E-9!!) were into this. Apparently they realized its use for deployed Airmen & servicemembers, so its a step in the right direction.

Quote:
The total cost to equip and renovate the 3,000 square foot facility was approximately $35,000.
Not to shabby, IMHO. There was also a video (found on google search) that stated there were "20 certified instructors" so perhaps they mean L1 cert.

The video is from Facebook. It is a public page.

Last edited by Daniel Higgins : 09-23-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #103
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Quote:
Mark -- to some extent, yes, though much of the issues with form would remain. But the great strength of CrossFit -- measurability -- would probably be lost.
What about using sandbags or ammo cans? Those can be scaled with relative ease and measured. And not to mention the benefits of odd object lifting can come into play as well.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #104
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Higgins View Post
(WFS) http://www.wpafb.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123184484
(found it while searching for a gym while I'm there)

Troy, maybe some of the "brass" are uninformed, but a Colonel (O-6) and Chief MSgt (E-9!!) were into this. Apparently they realized its use for deployed Airmen & servicemembers, so its a step in the right direction.

Not to shabby, IMHO. There was also a video (found on google search) that stated there were "20 certified instructors" so perhaps they mean L1 cert.

The video is from Facebook. It is a public page.
Now that's great- my last posts sounded negative (because they were, it's allowed), but I still hold out hope for our armed services. Not that they're in terrible condition or anything, but the overall trend I see is not a good one.

Also, the more I think about it and hear from others, I think this really is the right way to do it. Once basic is done and all that, the guys are more or less settled, then they can start becoming truly fit, with scalable workouts and so on.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #105
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
What about using sandbags or ammo cans? Those can be scaled with relative ease and measured. And not to mention the benefits of odd object lifting can come into play as well.
I think that when it comes to logistics and efficiency, following the KISS principle would work best with the military. Lots of movement and body weight stuff.
Of course doing stretches and jumping jacks in formation sucks...that mindset would have to change...the idea that everyone is in cadence. Ugh.
Anyhow - I think trying to strength train an entire post at the same time would be a nightmare. Perhaps have the mandatory a.m. PT be the body weight stuff, and then have the units workout a 3x a week second PT for strength.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #106
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Quote:
I think that when it comes to logistics and efficiency, following the KISS principle would work best with the military. Lots of movement and body weight stuff.
Of course doing stretches and jumping jacks in formation sucks...that mindset would have to change...the idea that everyone is in cadence. Ugh.
Anyhow - I think trying to strength train an entire post at the same time would be a nightmare. Perhaps have the mandatory a.m. PT be the body weight stuff, and then have the units workout a 3x a week second PT for strength.
That actually sounds like it would be a workable alternative for building functional strength for soldiers, especially those in MOS' where heavy lifting is an integral part of the job description (i.e. gunners in artillery units, mortarmen, engineers, infantry) - although I do think that any soldier regardless of MOS can REALLY benefit from lifting heavy. I recall being on many details in both military services (Navy and Army) that I served in where I was moving heavy and/or awkward objects over distances.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #107
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
That actually sounds like it would be a workable alternative for building functional strength for soldiers, especially those in MOS' where heavy lifting is an integral part of the job description (i.e. gunners in artillery units, mortarmen, engineers, infantry) - although I do think that any soldier regardless of MOS can REALLY benefit from lifting heavy. I recall being on many details in both military services (Navy and Army) that I served in where I was moving heavy and/or awkward objects over distances.
trust, the folks in MEDDAC would do well to move heavy **** as well. Patients aren't light.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #108
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Quote:
trust, the folks in MEDDAC would do well to move heavy **** as well. Patients aren't light.
With the weight of some soldiers I've seen around sickcall, I'd believe it.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #109
James A Stevens

Profile:

Okay at 8 pages I am not going to troll right through but the Canadian Forces have implemented CF. It appears to be working fine.

WFS http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/Fitness/...003-pt-z01.pdf WFS
Old 09-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #110
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Gowens View Post
Why not have actual "strength days" come up just occasionally as they do on main site?