CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Kevin LeRoy

Profile:
Flabby Geek to trim and Sleek?

Hello ,
My very first Post , do be kind

Well My name is Kevin , I now live in New Zealand , orginally from USA but been away many years ..
A little background on me: Grew up a very skinny comupter geek , everyone always told me I needed to eat more and get meat on my bones .. Never really played sports . never really go sunburned ( ihave great skin ) . One day not long ago I woke up from a deep sleep and I was no longer 19 and skinny I was 35 and about 30kg overweight .. I wondered why this had happened .. 8 hours a day at the PC , and the rest on the TV or sleeping .. KFC and MacD's .. Oh why was the world so cruel ... Well I have always thought ONE day Ill start , but maybee not today cause I am sleepy , or I have to go to work , or it is the weekend and that is when I rest ... All kinds of excuses ...
I began to notice the signs of depression starting up , and generally unhealthy lifestyle ,,
Well now I am tottally serious about doing this right cause I want to look in the mirror and not seriously consider buyingmyself a training bra ...

So At any rate strangley enough one of my geeky websites that I love so much , Lifehacker , has refered me here ..... and I really sat here and read everything I could and have kinda understood the system ... Do the WOD everyday , and share your results.... I can understand that one must scale these things down , esp when , as in my case I did the fitness test over at 100 push ups and got through just ONE , yes ONE single Pushup before I was really shaking and trembling ... So I am guessing I need the " puppy " versions of just about everything for a while ? ... Take Sundauy , for example , a 5k run , I did see somone post a puppy version that was "run a mile or two " .. Then the WOD for Monday was very serious a long list of many things Ididnt really understand ... I did manage to go through the FAQ's and the videos and work most of it out , BUT I truly couldnt find the " puppy " version for that day .. so I am a here , saying hello , intorducing myself , and also asking for guidance ... Am I on the right track with my approach , or have I missed some vital piece of the puzzel? Also Are the folks out there with kind advice on what to eat ..
as I understand it , what I wish to achive will require much more than Exercise , it will require a "lifestyle overhaul" and in order for it to be sustainable , I think I need to do it in a way where I wont get too discouraged early on .. I dont by any means expect anyone to do the hard work for me , but I think I would greatly benifit from people who are already doing what I wish to be doing , and to know how to come up with a "Game Plan" ...

many thnaks in advance for any atteintion

KL

Last edited by Kevin LeRoy : 08-12-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
Robin Marling

Profile:
Re: Flabby Geek to trim and Sleek?

Kevin,

First of all, welcome. You are doing a really good thing for yourself by getting started. It sounds like you've already found the Brand-X website (if not, the "start here" link on the left, click on BrandX).

I looked at the BrandX puppies workout for the day and I can see how it might have confused you. While there is a method to the randomness of the workouts, it's not horrible to substitute workouts that you understand (with the understanding that you're still learning and that you don't intend to avoid certain exercises forever). If there is an affiliate near you, I definitely recommend going a least a few times to learn the movements. It's much easier than self teaching off the internet.

As for diet stuff, most crossfit types either subscribe to the Zone Diet or the Paleo diet. You can read about them by searching the nutrition forum and deciding if one is more appealing than the other to you. If sort of depends on whether you are a "jump into it feet first" type person or a gradual shift type person on how you want to approach the diet issue. Honestly, the best diet is one that you can keep.

When I first started crossfiting, I spent days on the website looking at videos, etc. There's a ton of information here. Good Luck and know that there's a lot of people here who had achieved remarkable things who started pretty close to where you are.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Brett Dartt

Profile:

you rock.. dont give up we are here.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
Jeff Bowser

Profile:

Kevin,

First of all, let me tell you that you're on the right track. I'm also a computer geek, but last year I made the choice to get healthy.

If you're in Auckland, or close too it, check out CF New Zealand here:

http://www.crossfitnz.co.nz
Talk to Tamaryn Venter or Darren Ellis and they'll help you out.

Don't be intimidated or scared if they charge more $ than your big box "Globo" gym, it will be worth very penny to pay and go to an affiliate. They will be able to help you, coach and train you in Crossfit. It's simply the best system in the world.

Oh, and one more thing. CONGRATS on starting NOW. Lot's of people make the mistake of saying...."I'll get in shape and then start crossfit" WRONG. Start TODAY and you will get into the best shape of your life.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Ted Apollo

Profile:

welcome aboard kevin! crossfit is a very supportive community so you will soon see that everyone tends to help people with less experience. It has made it really easy for me to make the transition from bodybuilding training to crossfit training with all these unique workouts.

first, all robin wrote is dead on.

diet is 80% of this. eating right is going to give your body what you need to be able to complete the wod's and recover. to make it easy to start: when you go to the grocery store shop around the outside and avoid the isles. so veggies, fruit, nuts, and meats. avoid processed food.

i was almost in the same position you were a year ago. i was somewhat active playing sports but not consistent training. the biggest set back you want to avoid is injury. that can be a show stopper. so take your time and just get your body used to a bit of strain and then alot of rest. i worked out once a week for a few weeks before i went to twice a week then eventually led up to 5 days a week for a few hours a day. so you'll get there just take your time. your body will get alot of benefits from minimal effort right now. slowly increase your intensity. swimming is a great way to start and its easy on the body.

good luck and everyone is here for you. don't forget to use the search function on the forum cuz alot of questions have been asked and you can get alot of info quick that way.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
Jeff Bowser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bowser View Post
Kevin,

If you're in Auckland, or close too it, check out CF New Zealand here:
Sorry, just read you're from Wellington....but if you ever get to Auckland....
Old 08-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Welcome; good first post.

Many folks come here looking for quick answers, and looking to get in on the hype. Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that. Anyone who's modestly proficient at these types of things has spent just as much time researching, reading, and practicing, as they have doing the WODs. Good to see that you're starting off on the right track.

Research, research, research. Read, read, read. Search, search, search. Watch, watch, watch.

There are so many resources, videos, articles and threads around here that I honestly would recommend taking at least a week or two doing nothing but reading. I've gotten to the point where, when people ask me about CrossFit, I no longer recommend the main page anymore; I recommend the forums first. There is substantial benefit to be gained from understanding the medium before diving in.

My advice, despite going against the grain in some respecs, is to forget the WODs for now, and spend some time researching the movements, reading the forums, searching the forums for questions you don't find off the bat, and watching the videos. Then start easing into the movements themselves, with little-to-no weight, or with PVC pipe.

THEN head over to BrandX for the puppies version. You're not the only 35 year old who can only do 1 pull-up, and the fact that you fessed up to it on these boards tells us all that you don't give a rats *** what anyone else thinks, and that you're here for one thing: to improve.

Other than that, you've gotten sound advice all around. See if you can find an affiliate nearby, both for technique and extra motivation, should you need it.

Oh, and get your diet squared away

Welcome and good luck!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:21 AM   #8
Ted Apollo

Profile:

check out this site: http://www.crossfitseattle.com/athletic_skill.html

it is the 4 levels of athletic goals. look at the level 1 goals and use that to set your goals for your fitness. finish all the level 1 before moving to the next level. this way you get overall fitness.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:05 AM   #9
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Kevin,
I am glad to see you take enough initiative to read the "start here" section and spend some time on the site. People are extremely willing to help out and support you here especially if you are willing to do some looking on your own first.

Some suggestions to keep you motivated. Log where you are as far as performance and body composition. Take some basic measurements (maybe pictures many people probably wish they had before pics) and write down all of your workouts. It is very motivating to look back when you are having period of slow progress to see how far you have come from compared to when you started.

Do the crossfit warmup (scaled of course). Quite frankly it may take you a year to work up to it unscaled, that is OK.

subscribe to the journal, at $25/yr for 12 issues it is a terrific bargain. Buy some selected back issues when you find something of interest.

Try not to over think things especially the diet. The Zone and Paleo are both great but small differences in how people use either diet cause confusion for people who over analyze them too much.

If in doubt "Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat".

Good luck and welcome!
Old 08-13-2008, 06:21 AM   #10
Matthew Stafford

Profile:

Kevin,

I just wanted to add something about the diet. If you are just starting with crossfit, and training in general, I wouldn't worry too much about what you eat. Keep it very simple, and when given the opportunity choose the "healthier" food. In anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, you'll find yourself actively seeking out healthy food because you'll discover they fuel you better than the junk you used to eat. You will also feel healthier and more energetic when you choose a hearty breakfast of eggs and bacon over a bowl of cereal and a bagel with cream cheese.

Soon, you'll be deciding if you want to follow the Zone, Paleo, some combination, or even a diet of your own creation without feeling like you are forcing a major change on yourself.