CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Larry Cook

Profile:
An article was posted some time back on the topic of the USMC/Functional Fitness/CrossFit. I am curious to know which parts of the military have formally adopted CrossFit as their PT program. I know that there are many who serve that follow CrossFit individually or in small groups, but I want to know to what extent it is being used as the formal PT. I am also curious if the military version is in any way different than what we follow on the main page ... I don't expect that they are all following the exact same WOD, and I know that depending on resources some of them have to be creative when it comes to equipment ... But does it follow the same 3-on, 1-off pattern ... does it include days that are single rep max days, or is it just metcon ... do the military groups that use CrossFit add more stuff?

I ask because I want to be sure that when I tell people that the military is, to a growing degree, relying on CrossFit for PT that I can accurately represent how they are doing this.

Thanks

Larry Cook
Power Barn
Old 07-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
I wouldn't say "parts" but many units do. Mine currently does a M-W-F workout pattern, but the workouts are randomized and rely on scaled down versions of the WODs. While I wish I could do a 3-on, 1-off with them I can't, so I've made it more PT friendly. I currently will do the posted WOD and the unit PT WOD on the days both are up. If unit PT happens to be on a CF rest day, I do it at about 50% intensity and use it as an opportunity to help people become more functional. All the PT WODs are timed events.

I got a bunch of colored paper, crumbled them into balls and put them in a box. The only rule is we can't do a PT WOD that we did the two previous times, so I take those colors out of the box when choosing the next PT WOD. Whatever color comes out correlates to the next PT WOD.

Example:

Today was 10 x 100m sprints for the PT WOD.

8 minute ROM warm-up followed by 2 laps of medium intensity running.

5 x 10m form sprints.

10 x 100m straights.

Walking was allowed around the turns, but no stopping. By the end they were bushed. I helped one gal in her sprint form and was there to keep her motivated. Worked out well for the unit. Plus we all did it together. Some got done faster, some slower, but in the end we all did it. And it lasted less then 30 minutes, and people got more of a workout then they would doing their own thing. Mission accomplished.

On Wednesday is 3 rounds of: 500m row, 25 squats.

Once a month will be a practice PT test (Air Force, yes I know very lame) but this is why we are doing it, to make sure people who would otherwise have no set plan or goals do something to help them accomplish a score in the excellent range. Plus it introduces people to something that helps them overall focusing mainly on metcon. While I would love to get these people olympic lifting, I know I can't convince them to do it, and some just plain won't. So I have contrived something that has some CF methodology with something your average everyday airman will do without complaining too much.

I know our SERE guys and myself go all out doing the CF WOD, they recently got rings and I went down to try them out. All I can say is I am humbled. I can't wait for mine (coming for my birthday).

Overall, creativity is key, and people will be willing to do a lot more if they are part of the process. We make it a grand event in my unit to choose the next workout.

This is how I brought CF to my unit. I can tell that when I do the CF WOD and the PT WOD on the same day I know I feel great because I've helped my unit and I've done my own thing helping myself.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:00 AM   #3
Neal Thompson

Profile:
Larry,

I know that the Coast Guard is ramping up to use CrossFit, one of my members just returned from OCI, and he said CrossFit is all they are talking about at the Academy and a few may have already even gotten certified. Also, FLETC, has a couple of CrossFit certified trainers and they have begun programming their fitness courses for their field agents with CrossFit. My girlfriend is in charge of PT for HUD here and she was recently at FLETC and CF was all they were using. Could be some real opportunity for fed. offices in your locale.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:17 AM   #4
Chris Stowe

Profile:
We just got done having Coach out to Weapons Training Battalion in Quantico Va this past week for a level 1 cert. We have adopted Crossfit in different varations here in Quantico in our neck of the woods. Mine and a couple of other small units do Crossfit as it is---from the main page daily, and with our own equipment that I got permission to buy. There are units here that do the workouts with sub'd equipment: sandbags, tires, etc. So there are definately varying degrees, and I think that is probably the same across the military as well, like everyone else has said. I know that the Marine Corps is looking at this as a way to more effectively sustain "combat conditioning" All I can say is that everyone can do what they want, I will do what I need to do to have functional fitness when I need to, which is something I will never know.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Kevin Platt

Profile:
Larry

I have to say that the Canadian army has made great strides in adopting crossfit as their PT program, its even being incorporated into our Army Fitness manual. It has not yet reached the stage yet where it has assumed formal adoption status but it looks like it may not be too much longer before a push goes up higher to make it so.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
When I lead PT for my unit (and a couple of other PT leaders as well) it's either a highly modified WoD or a workout that has a high intensity, short duration multi-joint exercises.

Example:
We can't do Murph as perscribed, so we would go to one of those outdoor workout stations found in parks. This particular station has a .74 mile track around it. We'd do something like run around the track, do 20 pull-ups, 30 push-ups, 40 squats, run around the track, repeat. Just depends on the day.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
Lisa Quinn

Profile:
Chris, I used to train at Camp Lejeune, Quantico & Okinawa through SemperFit. I am interested in training Marines again but using CF more than the traditional training we used. Is it a possibility to watch some of your unit PT/WOD?
My son is stationed at TBS. Thanks for what you all do for training the Marines.
p.s. Do you know Craig Stekowski?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
Kevin Platt

Profile:
Lisa

Just a heads up that the Crossfit Journal normally prints a Frag O each month detailing a military version of a WOD, using such items as Ammo boxes, LAV tires etc, which may be useful in creating a military unit workout.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #9
Lisa Quinn

Profile:
Thanks Kevin~
Guess it's time to take the next step and sign up for the CF journal~
Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
Josh E Lundgaard

Profile:
Marine Corps Recruit Depot at Parris Island began a new recruit PT program @ 12 weeks ago, formulated to meet CrossFit principals (as well as possible) with groups of 500-700. Early reports are good.