CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-11-2006, 05:27 AM   #1
Allen Yeh

Profile:
For all the military/LEO's personnel that currently run the PT in your unit and anyone else with experience in that avenue I am seeking some advice about running a group PT session.

I'm currently in the Army reserves and I have been talking about the benefits of Crossfit with the Company XO for a few months. He has given me the go ahead to conduct PT at the next drill. Which is kind of not what I was getting at, I was trying to say that the Crossfit stuff might be a good alternative to regular Army style PT when we go on deployments. I'm hesitant to just do one workout of of the blue for these people because most of them don't workout on a regular basis and are horribly out of shape. I want to use this as a chance to showcase that Crossfit is fun, more useful than regular Army PT without killing my platoon in the process.

Materials availible:
-16# kb, 24# kb, 53# kb
-2x8# db, 2x10# db, 2x15# db
-Possible some DB's from the drill hall weight room but I don't know what poundages at the moment. weights.
-2 iron woody jumpstretch mini bands
-1 set of parallettes
-I was thinking of buying some 4-6 peices of PVC
- 1 jump rope but I can always get some cheap ones if I need to

Any suggestions on what to whip up? I will post my own ideas seperately. Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:50 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Warmup- Rather than the regular Army pt warmup (neck/shoulder/hip/knee rotations, static stretching, side straddle hops) - I was thinking of some joint mobility drills (straight from Pavels book), and then some movement prep.

Workout idea 1:
Split platoon into 4 teams of 4-6 people and run them down a series of stations it's a race to the finish for your team.
For example:
Station 1: 10 burpees
Sprint 100 m to station 2, once that person reaches station 2, then the person at station 1 can begin their burpees.
Station 2: 10-15 db/kb swings (this exercise will be taught and reviewed prior to beginning)
Lunge - 100m to station 3
Station 3: 15-20 I was thinking either regular squats or PVC OHS
Once your team has finished one way...now your reverse the order from station 3 to station 1.

Idea 2:
Tabata this: (I'm thinking about scaling it back to a 1/2 tabata, I'm afraid 3 tabata's intervals might be too much for some.)
Swings, pushups, squats

Idea 3:
PVC mile
25 squats
run 400 meters
25 OHS
run 400 meters
25 shoulder press
run 400 meters
25 front squats
run 400 meters

Old 05-11-2006, 07:10 AM   #3
Dave Rounsevelle

Profile:

The ideas you have giver are solid, I would give you a few more:
Well, since they are scored on the 2 mile run and push-ups and sit-ups in 2 mins: right??
1. I have done this one: Run-you can pick any distance- but I did one mile run,( I would recommend 400M to 1 mile),rest 1 min, then do pushups-10, sit-ups, 15, squats-20, do that for 10 mins, then repeat the running portion.
2. Run 400M, 21 DB or KB swings, 12 push-ups or HSPU's ( sound familiar??) For 3-5 rounds.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #4
John Hoffner

Profile:
Get ahold of CF Journal #14. They have a complete program within to run a group through. I've been successful running groups of 5-10 through variations of Fran, Cindy/Mary, FGB & Helen. Utilizing ability groups and the CF methodology you can do your best to wear them out as quickly as possible.
Maybe, again by ability group, a squad KB Swing Competition for total in 20 minutes, where no one can do more than 10-15 in a row. Or Thrusters... If you have an area for sprints, have a relay involving sprints, thrusters, KB swings, push-ups... The ideas are only limited by time, creativity and what you can get away with. Your second post sounds like you've got the idea.
Best of luck and have fun with it.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Dealing with reg force army guys I've noticed one thing, keep it simple. Its one thing putting people who want to be there through a CrossFit workout, while its an entirely different animal putting guys who are "required" to do it. If they get an inkling that they can breeze throug it then they will and then it will be no better then doing a run or a ruckmarch. The simpler it is for them the more fun it will be and the more intensity they will tend to display. If they aren't bagged by the end then they didn't give her.

Not sure how your guys are but the fewer exercises and the simpler they are the more they will get out of it. Particularly in a first attempt scenario. I think your own ideas are great, you just have to keep them moving. If you can maintain the group's momentum during the workout then you are golden but a group of reservists who don't workout may tend to slow down and realise how nuts the workout is if they have a chance to stop and think about it.

The troops I've been dealing with have good days and bad days. But I have found that an uninterested group tends to perform better on a fixed clock, fixed rep basis.

20 minutes max rounds of whatever you can come up with!!! Thats where we've had the best results with everyone sweating, bagged and wondering what truck just hit them without any heart attacks from some of the more cardiovascularly unfit (65%) in the group.

I hope thats useful at all. I'm done with the Army in 3 weeks anyways, and my days of glory yelling at higher ranking members and officers will be over. But if you need any more advice feel free to send me an email or something. Most of my experience is with groups larger then 20 so hopefully that can be of service to you.

Last point: Command and Control is paramount, let the kids go all lord of the flies on you and it wont be fun. But if you maintain their attention by being crazy and outlandish in character it avoids the necessity for brutality and punishment. (It works for me, but I'm french!)

Old 05-14-2006, 05:22 AM   #6
John Frazer

Profile:
Allen,

I'd have to caution you on the "team race" format. We did something like that at Crossfit DC a few weeks ago, I think we had 16 people -- two teams of 8 stations. Even with all the stations laid out in a straight line down the sides of the gym, it was darn hard to keep people from moving to the next station prematurely -- or, for that matter, standing around when they should be moving. And this was with two teams, it would probably be even tougher with 4.

If I were you I'd look to CFJ #14 for some team workout ideas. Some of the workouts there might work well for you:

Broomstick Mile (gives you a chance to teach O-lift skills while keeping everyone together)

Run-Thruster-Pullup Races (couple different formats)--if you don't have a pullup bar, you could sub DB rowing pushups or something.

--------------

For regular Crossfit stuff I would look at fixed-time workouts like the "Tabata This" or "Fight Gone Bad." For FGB, have half the unit keep score while the other half works. Sub thrusters for wall ball and drop the rower -- everyone still gets 12 minutes of really tough work.

You could also do something like "Nancy" with one-armed DB overhead squats (8 left, 8 right).

If you have enough dumbbells out of the drill hall for everyone to have an appropriate dumbbell or two, you can have a lot of fun with the workouts on Mike Rutherford's page, or the "Dumbbell Death March" we did at Crossfit DC a few months ago:

21-15-9 reps for time:

One-legged DB split squat, left and right
One-arm DB hang squat clean, left and right
One-arm DB overhead squat, left and right
Renegade row

The nice thing about this was that even with a dozen or so athletes going at the same time, there were enough reps in the workout that there wasn't a huge gap between the first and last finishers. We had a pretty diverse group that day but I think everyone took about 18-25 minutes, using a single 10-25# DB. It was also a great workout in terms of teaching people something they can do with very simple equipment that's available almost everywhere.

Have "fun"!

John
Old 05-16-2006, 04:08 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely buy CFJ #14.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:07 PM   #8
Shawn Casey

Profile:
Allen,

I'm regular army, but I'm in what is considered one of the least "hooah" type of units and I just happened to do a crossfit type workout with my unit yesterday. What I did was a circuit style workout with 10 station and a team of 2 at each station. I've been slowly introducing a new excercise each day throughout the previous couple weeks so I wasn't just throwing a whole bunch of new excercises at them all at once. I put up a sign at each station with a primary excercise with a sub for the broke soldiers and for the folks that go to failure and can't do the primary anymore. I also wrote specific instructions on the signs, such as, push up, 2 clappers, 2 power pushups and then the rest regular pushups. It's also a good idea to number the stations and check and make sure they know the flow of the circuit. Instead of using a watch to keep time, I made one station a sprint with a walk sub for the brokies and made the distances close as possible to 30 seconds out and when the team made it back to the sign, they yell out "SWITCH" so everyone goes to the next station. Of course after the first round, they will get tired and the run will take longer. That just adds to the fun and it gives you a chance to motivate a bit. This was my layout: Equipment= Army playground with parrallel bars and high pull up bar, 25# and 10 # home made med balls, 2 speed ropes, 25# and 15# dumbells. Stations= 1 dips at one side of parrallel bars, 2 10# med ball buddy toss( wallball except tossing to buddy over high pullup bar). 3 sprint. 4 pushup. 5 dumbell swing(most of them didn't quite get this one). 6 burpee. 7 back to back med ball twist. 8 johnny rockets(squatjump, they liked this one, I say "I call them johnny rockets because you need to do alot of them after you eat at johnny rockets" burger joint". 9 inverted row off other end of parrallel bars(this group wasn't ready for a pullup station). 10 jump rope( singles, doubles, run in place). 2 complete circuits.
Most of these soldiers are pretty had to motivate and PT is their worst part of the day. But I try and make it fun and be a little bit comical in the demonstrations. Also, I haven't lost my gut yet all the way so when they see a fatboy that couldn't do a pull up 4 months ago, hippin and a hoppin and outrunning the skinny boys and knocking out 10 kipping pullups like its nothing, they'll start talking to you like your a personal trainer to the stars. I also want to point out that I saw a reserve unit take a PT test my last deployment. All I got to say about that is, they did bring enough Combat lifesavers. What I'm saying is push them, but don't try to kill them. Some people and soldiers think that activity is the cause of their pain instead of the fact that they sit in front of a computer all day.They may become discouraged if you try to kill them. I'm sure whatever approach you take someone will see how much you love the Kool aid and become just as addicted as most of us are. One last thing, personally I wish my 1sg told me I had complete control over PT. My company would see an even bigger smiley face every morning than they do now. Good luck Bro!
P. S. All day long I hear "your killing me SGT, your banned from the playground SGT".
Old 05-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #9
Ray Cooper

Profile:
I've found it's next to impossible to get anyone to take anything other than bicep curls and jogging seriously in the regular army. Of course, my unit has a long-standing tradition of being completely retarded and it's reflected by it's personnel.

:angry:
Old 05-27-2006, 11:10 PM   #10
Chuck Pelowski

Profile:
Hooverball