CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Aaron Lengel

Profile:
Military says You’re Too Flabby For CrossFit

Came across this article... thought people might be interested.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010...le+Feedfetcher

Seems like this would be a big blow to Crossfit and military folks.

Edit: Never mind it made the main page...

Last edited by Aaron Lengel : 09-17-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Military says You’re Too Flabby For CrossFit

That damn article shows that some in the military are just like college coaches who won't embrace Louie's training methods even when he has made every football player he had ever coached better. In other words, it is people marking their territory and trying to justify their jobs... They don't like the fact someone outside of their ranks has come up with a better program for the troops so they attack it. Morons...
Old 09-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
“Certainly, we are addressing a perceived lack of fitness among recruits,” O’Connor says. “People are doing too much, too soon, too fast. Participants [in high-intensity programs] need baseline strength and flexibility, and they simply aren’t prepared.”
I don't see anything knee-jerk about that. That is pretty sound thinking, to me. You take some 18 year old that has been sitting on a couch, watching TV and drinking Pepsi for the last 18 years (yes, I have seen parents giving their new-born babies soda in their bottle) and throw them into a CrossFit-type workout under military leadership (which means 2-3 Drill Instructors yelling at up to 100 people at a time to do more, faster, NOW!!!) and I can see a lot of injuries and probably a few deaths.

Ignoring the basic physical requirements for now: a lot of CrossFit WODs really require specialized training and a much more "1 on 1" instructional approach that the military just can't give in Basic. I think something post-basic (Marine Combat Training, SpecFor training, Infantry School, et cetera) would likely be a more appropriate place and time for high intensity training.
Basic is a good place to get basic fitness.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Troy Becker

Profile:

A good statement as to the pathetic state of our society. Also, do these trainers know how to SCALE???

Also, even IF I bought into the higher injury rate from CrossFit thing, I bet you that the effect on soldiers is also a lower killed in action rate. Which, I think, is a good thing.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
A good statement as to the pathetic state of our society. Also, do these trainers know how to SCALE???

Also, even IF I bought into the higher injury rate from CrossFit thing, I bet you that the effect on soldiers is also a lower killed in action rate. Which, I think, is a good thing.
I don't know if Crossfit would do much for the KIA rate in the military. It seems like everyone dying these days is getting killed by IEDs.
that being said, if it saves even one life, and I'm sure it has, then it's totally worth it.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
John Stone

Profile:

^^^

As of August 31, 2010, 7,819 American soldiers have been wounded in action in Afghanistan, and 1,188 Americans were killed. Approximately 95 of those killed were due to IEDs. So, about 8%.

The news doesn't really give an accurate account for much of anything these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
Probably not, not right now at least. Military mentality would lead to DI's over-training recruits. "What the do you mean Fran with 45 pounds? We are not we will not being doing a 5 minute workout and then stopping, we will do consecutive Fran's for 1 hour because we are not ." Ensuing hilarity as obese 18 year olds collapse and die while being yelled at and called foul names.

Every day on this forum I read how globo's opening CF classes will be the end of the world because their trainers aren't good enough / the classes are too big for that personal level of training -- just imagine a DI trying to push some out of shape kids too hard -- and in Basic those kids don't have the option to slow down if they get hurt / tired.

Nope, I agree with the cautious ones, having seen kids in the USMC get exercised into the hospital and worse -- study it, make sure the trainers are properly trained first, and use it as a tool after Basic to hone combat fitness. Bludgeoning fat kids with poorly implemented high intensity training won't do any good.

Last edited by John Stone : 09-17-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:14 AM   #7
Carl Amolat

Profile:

I think that post-Basic training - around the AIT/MOS school timeframe is a better time to introduce CrossFit or MilitaryAthlete or any program of that sort to new soldiers. ESPECIALLY if they've been the previously sedentary couch-potato variety. Use qualified instructors (focus on training that group properly first and give them the proper command support to execute the methodology they've been trained on) and separate the AIT trainees by their PT scores/performance on fitness tests so they're working with peers of similar ability in their 'boxes' so to speak so that they can make progress without the overtraining issues. But then that's my .02 cents.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
I think that post-Basic training - around the AIT/MOS school timeframe is a better time to introduce CrossFit or MilitaryAthlete or any program of that sort to new soldiers.
I couldn't agree more. MCT/SoI/MOS-training courses have plenty of built-in available time (and the proper structuring) for CF-type training to occur.

I think a lot of people have the misconception that graduation from boot camp = combat ready. The reality is that boot camp is the basic training that prepares [Marines, for the purpose of my point] for combat readiness training.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:12 AM   #9
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
Nope, I agree with the cautious ones, having seen kids in the USMC get exercised into the hospital and worse -- study it, make sure the trainers are properly trained first, and use it as a tool after Basic to hone combat fitness. Bludgeoning fat kids with poorly implemented high intensity training won't do any good.
+1 to this.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #10
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
^^^
Who said high intensity training at the BCT level had to be poorly implemented? It's thinking like this and the article posted by the OP that limit our military from becoming better than it is or ever has been. Nine weeks! How far could you take a client in 9 weeks?