CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-11-2006, 10:52 AM   #1
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:
Hi all.
Been following Crossfit for 6 months. Love the program.

Just seriously started following the Zone yesterday. I get 14 blocks per day, 1274 calories. I’m not adding any extra fat or adjusting for increased exercise yet. Seems like I’m gonna starve. I’m 180lb and 25% fat.

I’m just starting to learn about weight training in conjunction with the 1 rep max days that come up in the WOD occasionally. It seems the research I’ve seen on body building recommends LOTS of protein in pre and post workout meals. The Zone doesn’t seem to have a provision for a post meal workout and meals all follow the Zone ratios.

Is the post meal workout not so necessary for Crossfit’s WOD? Is it just used for serious body builders? If I'm doing the WODs regularly should I immediately add some extra fat or stay with my 1274 cal for a while and see how it works? I have skimmed through the message boards but am still confused…
Old 08-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I would stick with base Zone ratios for a bit until you get your bodyfat down. After that, you can experiment with ramping up the fat a bit. Post-workout nutrition has its merits, but it's dependent on the type of work being done and the specific training schedule of the athlete. For the majority of the Crossfit workouts, it wouldn't be needed as glycogen depletion isn't terribly great during such short efforts. I occasionally use PWO nutrition strategies when I'm planning two-a-days or have large events later that I need to have my glycogen tank "topped off" a bit quicker than base Zone can make happen. Just my .02
Old 08-11-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:
ok, thanks for that advice.
It's much tougher to follow a plan if you are unsure that it's the correct plan. Reassuring me I'm on the right track will make the mental part easier.