CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #1
Mitch Canter

Profile:
Mitch's Workout Log

Hi, I'm Mitch, 30 years old. I've been doing Crossfit since December 2010 and I train at Nor Cal Crossfit in San Jose, CA. I've always wanted to keep a workout log but every time I try with a notebook or iPhone app, I lose track. Figured I should give this a try. Here goes...

On Saturday August 4, 2012, I did my first Crossfit competition: The Festivus Games, at Crossfit Lifeworx in San Jose, CA. Here were the three workouts I did and my results:

1. Row 2k for time - 7:07.2
2. In 10 minutes, find your 1rm Deadlift - 325 lb PR (old PR 315)
3. 10 minute chipper: 10 burpees, 20 pull ups, 30 sit ups, 40 KB swings (1.5 pd), 50 air squats, 100 double-unders - I got 26 double-unders

Overall, I placed 60th out of 77, but I did beat two of my friends. The most important part of the day was I had a great time (and I didn't injure myself). I thought I was going to die after the rowing WOD. I was dehydrated and I did not properly warm up for that workout. Looking back, I should have drank more water and hopped on a rower or gone for a quick jog before the 2k. Lesson learned...
Old 08-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
Mitch Canter

Profile:
Re: Mitch's Workout Log

Sunday, August 5, 2012
The day after the Festivus Games, my lower back was really sore. So naturally, I decided to do some front squats at my office's globo gym. I work from 6pm to 3am Sunday-Thursday, and my office has a very nice gym with lots of mirrors and machines. Thankfully, there's a squat rack and an extra barbell, so I am able to do some supplemental lifting. Usually I start with a set of 10 to warm up, then sets of 3. Tonight's loads:

FRONT SQUAT
145 lb x 10 reps
155x3
165x3
175x3
180x3
185x3
(OLD 3-REP PR) 190x3
(NEW 3-REP PR) 195x3 twice, failed the third rep of the third set and called it quits

I normally end with a really light max set (would have been 115 lb) but my lower back was in pain so I just rolled out and was satisfied with my effort. I knew I would be going to crossfit tomorrow and Tuesday so there was no need to go crazy and risk hurting myself.

Last edited by Mitch Canter : 08-09-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
Mitch Canter

Profile:

Monday, August 6
I went to the gym at 4:00pm to play racquetball before the 4:30 crossfit class. My racquetball partner is Jason Barber (Pat Barber's older brother). He beat me today 21-14 (I've only beaten him once, and we've been playing since January).

The workout for today was Chelsea. Similar to Cindy. On the minute, every minute, for 20 minutes, do 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, and 15 air squats. Rest the remainder of the minute if you finish early.

Well, I scaled this down to 4-8-12 and was coasting along until about minute 13 when I failed during the push ups. I started doing 4 pull ups, 4 push ups, 6 air squats, 4 push ups, 6 air squats. I was getting all the reps, just breaking it down into manageable sets so I could still get my rest. I wasn't sure if this was cheating or not but to me it seemed ok since I was constantly moving my body, keeping proper form, and hitting all my reps... until round 17 I lowered myself down to 3-7-11 and finished it out from there, still splitting the push ups and air squats into two sets.

Last edited by Mitch Canter : 08-09-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:10 AM   #4
Mitch Canter

Profile:

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Today I went to the noon class. No racquetball since Jason was taking a rest day. The WOD for today is:

4 power clean
4 thruster
4 push press
4 overhead lunge
24 sit ups
5 ROUNDS FOR TIME
**barbell cannot touch the ground during the round (other than touch-and-go power cleans)**
There was a 12 minute time cap and we were told to choose a weight that would be do-able and challenging. I chose 95 lbs, knowing that the overhead lunge would be my limiting factor.
I finished the WOD in 12:05 (picked the right weight for sure) but I did have to scale the overhead lunges to front-rack lunges during the 4th round. My barbell never touched the ground though

STRENGTH CLUB
My gym just started offering an extra class called Strength Club. It meets twice a week (Tuesday and Thursday at 6:30pm) at our Santa Clara location. I decided to try it out since one of my long-tern Crossfit goals is to be able to do all the workouts with Rx weights (not have to scale any weight for any lift, ever). Here is what we did in strength club tonight:

SUMO DEADLIFT
135 lb x 3 reps
165x3
225x3
245x3
265x3
275x3
Never tied sumo deadlifts before but I will be integrating them into my lifting at work. I felt very comfortable doing these. Cheryl (strength club coach) liked my form and was encouraging me to do these, as they might be easier for me than a regular deadlift since I'm so tall.

OVERHEAD LUNGES
65lb x 10, twice
These were easy, should have gone a bit heavier

TIRE FLIPS
2 min on, 1 min rest, 4 rounds (I did not count my flips)
This was the first time I ever did tire flips! I didn't count my reps but I know I was doing more and more each round as I got more comfortable with the movement. Can't wait to do them again!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
Mitch Canter

Profile:

Wednesday, August 8, 2012
Today was supposed to be a rest day. I went to the A's game and enjoyed a great 9-8 A's victory. I knew I wasn't going to do the WOD, which was 2 rounds of 1-5-10-20 deadlift (heavy -> lighter loads), but I did want to play racquetball, so I asked Jason if he would meet me for a game around 6. He was unavailable, but my friend Rob (one of my buddies from the Festivus Games) said he was going in to work on muscle ups and other stuff he sucks at, so naturally I said I would meet him there.

So I got to the gym around 6 (a good 90 minutes after leaving the ballpark in Oakland; gotta love Bay Area rush hour) and we practiced bar muscle ups with bands for a while. I am definitely going to work on this. I was able to do a bar muscle up only with the aid of a green+red band. Couldn't do it with just the green band. So next week sometime, I'm going to do 7 on the minute every minute for 10 minutes with the green+red band, and hopefully in a few weeks I can do a few with just the green band. My goal is to get a legit muscle up by the end of the calendar year.

Also, we went over some rope climb technique. I really need to spend more time on my rope climbs. I was able to do one today (which I had never done before), but my form was not pretty. It was all arms and my forearms are still sore hours later. My foot-brain coordination needs much improvement, as that will save my arms from getting shredded from one trip up the rope! I am happy that I had enough sense to climb down the rope instead of sliding down it; that would have burned! Literally.... (remember, I had never done a rope climb before)
Old 08-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
Mitch Canter

Profile:

Thursday August 9, 2012.

My office is having a 4-on-4 soccer tournament so I decided to sign up. I played soccer from age 5 all the way through high school, but that was over 10 years ago. Man, I was rusty. It was a lot of fun though. My team won 7-4 and I scored 3 goals.

Then I went to the 3:30 workout at the Santa Clara gym. Today's workout was:
21-15-9
KB swings
400m Run
Ring Dips

I scaled the KB swings down to 1.5 pood (Rx was 2 pood) and used a blue band for the ring dips, which is one of my worst movements. I can only do about 9 legit ring dips, then I'm toast. I finished the workout in 10:03, doing all of the sets unbroken. I was very happy with my performance, hopefully I'll be able to do ring dips with the red band next time they are in a WOD.

STRENGTH CLUB
After doing the WOD at 3:30, I stuck around until strength club at 6:30. I walked about 1/4 mile to Chipotle and then again to the same plaza an hour later to get a Starbucks since I started feeling a bit drowsy. I've recently developed a slight addiction to iced coffee, but the caffeine really perks me up and I feel as though I should be at my sharpest when I'm in the gym.

So for strength club tonight, after some light warming up (the other two guys didn't do the 3:30 WOD with me; I didn't need the warm up but they did) the first WOD was Lynne. Lynne is max reps of bench press of your body weight, and then max pull ups, for 5 rounds. Since my body weight is currently 195 and my 1-rep max bench press is also 195, Cheryl instructed me to scale down to 75% of my body weight, which would be 146.5 (I did the sets at 145lb).

Bench reps 145 lb - Pull up reps
Round 1: 10-15
Round 2: 10-15
Round 3: 5-11
Round 4: 7-10
Round 5: 7-12

Forearms were really sore at this point, as were my upper arms (biceps/triceps). Great workout though, I hope to improve upon those scores the next time I attempt this WOD.

After Lynne, we did a team WOD. One of us did walking lunges, while another one of us did a 2-pood KB farmers carry (one KB in each arm), while the third partner pushed a prowler with five 45-lb plates on it. As soon as the person pushing the prowler stopped, we rotated. I pushed the **** out of the prowler three times, and the last time I brought it home when I thought there was no way I would be able to finish the job. I collapsed as soon as the prowler crossed the line just like Khalipa did at the games when he got the sled across the line. I had no idea how I pushed it as far as I did but I was very pleased with that effort.

After that I foam rolled my quads and my pecs for a while, had a protein shake, and called it a day.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
Mitch Canter

Profile:

Friday, August 10, 2012

Friday's are always fun at my gym because our warm up consists of a game called Crossfit Dodgeball. Basically, we spend the first 20 minutes of class throwing different colored balls at each other (guys have to throw left handed, or righty if they are natural lefties) and if you are hit you have to do 10 reps of an exercise, depending on which color ball you're hit with (dodge the red ball at all costs-- burpees!).

So after dodgeball, we did heavy 3-rep front squats. I did these at my work gym on Sunday night so I knew exactly which weight I was able to handle. My loads:

FRONT SQUATS
135 lbs x 3 reps
165 x 3
185 x 3
(TIE 3-REP PR) 195 x 3

I probably could have done a set at 200 but I wanted to save some strength for the WOD, which was:

3 front squats (use 80% of your 3-rep max)
9 burpees
10 MINUTE AMRAP
But because we had to clean the weight each round instead of using a rack, I scaled down even further to 135 (155 would have been 80% of my 3-rep max). In the 10 minutes, I completed 8 rounds. I was very satisfied with the effort. I did well to keep a constant pace during the burpees, which was the key to getting so many rounds completed. The squats were quick and I probably should have used 145 lbs.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #8
Mitch Canter

Profile:

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Today was a rest day. I went to Outside Lands with my friend Stephanie and walked around for about 10 hours. My lower back was pretty sore by the end of the day. I did have 4 beers and 3 hot dogs, so it was a total cheat day for me. Also had french toast and a waffle with maple syrup for breakfast. Totally worth it. I'll try my best to make it to the gym Sunday morning before I go to the last day of the festival since I ate so unhealthily today.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #9
Mitch Canter

Profile:

Sunday, August 12, 2012

I texted Rob and Jason on Saturday night to see if either of them would want to work out on Sunday morning with me. Sunday WODs are always team workouts at our gym. Our only options were 9am in Mountain View or 10am in Santa Clara. I definitely wanted to do the later one, since I was still tired from the night before (didn't get much sleep at all during the weekend). Thankfully Jason texted me at about 8am today or I might have skipped the gym altogether. But once he said he was down for the WOD, I was out of bed making my 6 eggs and mentally prepping myself for some crossfit.

The team WOD was:
One partner holds a plank position with a 45lb plate on their back, while the other partner runs 200m and then does 5 deadlifts at 185 lbs. AMRAP 10 min. We got 6 rounds. It was hard to hold the plank with the plate, I had never tried that before. I was able to sprint the runs and crank out the deadlifts pretty quickly since it was such a light weight, even for me. Really happy I went to the gym today; now I don't feel guilty about indulging in tasty food on Saturday!

Last edited by Mitch Canter : 08-13-2012 at 02:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
Mitch Canter

Profile:

Monday, August 13, 2012.

Today I went to the 4:30 class at Saratoga. I warmed up with a quick racquetball game with my friend Maura, then did this workout:

12-9-6
Squat Clean & Jerk (95 lbs)
Bar Muscle ups (jumping, with box)
TIME: 7:48

I breezed through this, although I was pretty spent after I finished. I still think I could have gone a bit heavier on the weight, but 95lbs was the prescribed weight for the intermediate scale. I'm very happy with my effort and my result from the WOD. Big day tomorrow, WOD and strength club!