CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
Bob Guere

Profile:
Garage Gym Affiliates Unite!

Well, "unite" was just a buzz word to get you in here.

I'm about to start a Garage affiliate, and would love to know some of the ideas and schemes other Garage Gym affiliates use to keep the flow moving. Right now, I can stand about 4 people WODing at once. I initially plan on one nightly class during the week and a Sat morning class. If I get 3-5 more folks I'd be at my limit and will start looking for a small box, but in the mean time, I wonder if you all did anything creative to keep as many people active as possible?

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
Neil Khant

Profile:
Re: Garage Gym Affiliates Unite!

Bob,

Great to see you moving forward with this. Please let me know if you need any help getting yourself going.

I wish you success.

Neil Khant
Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Khant View Post
Bob,

Great to see you moving forward with this. Please let me know if you need any help getting yourself going.

I wish you success.

Neil Khant
Thanks Neil. It's exciting for sure.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Joseph Randall

Profile:

Bob...I hope you get more posts. I am toying with the idea of opening a "Garage affiliate". I do not work on M,W, & F mornings, so I could run a 6:00am class daily, and MWF morning classes. Probaly would not want to commit to night classes - family time. I am in a good location for "Soccer Mom CrossFit". Most guys do not have my schedule. But, if I "build it,they might come"?? If I grew, I would have to find a great trainer to have full schedule of classes.

Joe
Old 11-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Patrick Neill

Profile:

Hey Bob (and Joseph)

My wife and I manage a garage gym in NJ, RedShed CrossFit. It is easy for us to accommodate 5+ athletes during the warmer months, but when we turn the clocks back it gets challenging. When it is dark and cold, nobody wants to be standing around waiting to train, so I encourage the group to arrive in groups of 2-3, 30-45 minutes apart. As for keeping them moving, that is the fun part! If we don't have enough equipment to have all athletes start on the same clock, we stagger them through the WOD. I have seen it benefit both athletes. One is chasing while the other is being chased. It makes for a pretty intense training environment.

I had the same concerns and thoughts as the both of you (Bob and Joseph). Believe me, if you build it, and you believe in it... they will come.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
David Chow

Profile:

Congratulations on your move forward and I've been there and come back. I started off in my big garage, moved homes and ended up with a much smaller garage, then got into a great space for a year but couldn't afford the rent and now I'm back in my small garage.

I have 7 dedicated athletes with the majority of them showing up in the morning. Summers are great winters suck and my ceiling is too low for my taller athletes to any overhead lifting exercises, but it's cozy and they all enjoy the close quarters. I wish I could be in a bigger space, but this is my passion and unfortunately it won't pay the bills at this time. Not only that, but running a CF affiliate comes in third after family and my primary job.

I do however, love seeing and reading about the affiliates that remain in their garages as I love back to basics approach. No offence, if you can afford the fully equiped box awesome, but there's something romantic about pushing yourself past your limits in austere conditions.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #7
Matthew Crabtree

Profile:

I am about ready to open my garage gym affiliate, (finishing up the floors) and have had my website up for about 2 weeks. I haven't gotten any interest through the website yet (except for a couple sales pitches).
My location is about 10 or 15 minutes outside of town (read: "destination location").
Any affiliates recently opened (say the last 12 months) with a similarly inconvenient location and gotten steady business without advertising? I plan to distribute some handy dandy fliers to the local PD/FD maybe grocery store etc.

Thanks.
Matt
CrossFit Orange
Old 11-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chow View Post
Congratulations on your move forward and I've been there and come back. I started off in my big garage, moved homes and ended up with a much smaller garage, then got into a great space for a year but couldn't afford the rent and now I'm back in my small garage.

I have 7 dedicated athletes with the majority of them showing up in the morning. Summers are great winters suck and my ceiling is too low for my taller athletes to any overhead lifting exercises, but it's cozy and they all enjoy the close quarters. I wish I could be in a bigger space, but this is my passion and unfortunately it won't pay the bills at this time. Not only that, but running a CF affiliate comes in third after family and my primary job.

I do however, love seeing and reading about the affiliates that remain in their garages as I love back to basics approach. No offence, if you can afford the fully equiped box awesome, but there's something romantic about pushing yourself past your limits in austere conditions.
Great Post! Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 11-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
Andrew Bueno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Neill View Post
It is easy for us to accommodate 5+ athletes during the warmer months, but when we turn the clocks back it gets challenging. When it is dark and cold, nobody wants to be standing around waiting to train, so I encourage the group to arrive in groups of 2-3, 30-45 minutes apart. As for keeping them moving, that is the fun part! If we don't have enough equipment to have all athletes start on the same clock, we stagger them through the WOD. I have seen it benefit both athletes. One is chasing while the other is being chased. It makes for a pretty intense training environment.
I run a similar deal. My box is about 300 sq. feet and I can comfortably fit 3-5 people, depending on what we're doing. We're almost reaching a year in business. The programming has moved to favor gymnastics-based workouts when we're at full capacity (we've done WODS with 8+ in the garage, using weights). It's completely possible and definitely something to try if you want to run a few classes a week (we run at least two a day).

Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 11-22-2008, 07:16 AM   #10
John Edmondson

Profile:

Update your site often. Hold an open house and ask your clients to invite everyone they know. This is our only form of advertising and we average about 1-2 new clients per month.
We offer five different training times per day, so often there are only 2-3 clients per session, but when we do have more than that, FGB style WODs work well, and dumbells require much less elbow room than barbells.
I'd love to help, Bob. PM me if you have any other questions.