CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-30-2007, 05:55 AM   #1
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:
Two Zone Questions: meal ideas/missing snacks

1) What is the best book to get simple, easy Zone meal ideas from? I tried looking at the book store yesterday, but they didn't have too many choices. In my limited amount of time, I also didn't find one that really seemed to fit what I was hoping for. I don't need anything exotic/gourmet. I guess I'm looking for the busy bachelor's zone meals for dummies book.

2) What if the two snacks during the day just don't work into your schedule as you would like? I'm sure the best answer is to make the time, but what is the second best answer? Should you eat larger block lunch and dinner meals to make up for the blocks you missed from the snacks?

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:33 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Re: Two Zone Questions: meal ideas/missing snacks

1) Get CrossFit Journal Issue 21. It is the best. Also, the internet has a ton of Zone recipes but they are not all in one place like with a book.

2) Eat larger meals if you skip snacks. The important part is eating all of your blocks in a day, the distribution across the day is not as important.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
Jeff Mouland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kaminski View Post
1) Get CrossFit Journal Issue 21. It is the best. Also, the internet has a ton of Zone recipes but they are not all in one place like with a book.

2) Eat larger meals if you skip snacks. The important part is eating all of your blocks in a day, the distribution across the day is not as important.
Can you clarify point 2 please. I thought hte point of the Zone was to keep insulin levels constant wouldn't a lopsided distribution of blocks hurt this?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Ben can correct me if Im wrong but as long as the carbs you eat have a low glycemic index your insulin level should stay constant.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
Brent Wenson

Profile:

As long as you maintain the 40/30/30 ratios, the size of the individual meals is not as important. If you normally have a four block dinner and you missed your one block snack, just make your dinner five blocks.

For me, I get too hungry if I miss a snack or meal that can lead to other binging (spelling?) problems.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
Jim Wenson

Profile:

Obviously, it is better to eat your snacks, but if that can't work, throwing in your missed blocks into your meals isn't that bad. I would really try to get a snack in though. The larger the meal, the larger the insulin response will be no matter how balanced it is. If I am wrong, correct me, but that was my understanding. Ideally, you would split all your meals evenly, but since most of us can't do that, the snacks pick up the slack.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
Brent Wenson

Profile:

Just to clarify a little more, if you were on a 17 block plan, you could eat four 4-block meals and one 1-block snack. Or, three 5-block meals on two 1-block snacks.

Just try to evenly space things as much as possible to maintain your levels throughout the day. You obviously would not want to eat two 8-block meals and a 1-block snack.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
Robert Flynn

Profile:

I find that 1% milk in the quantity that you need (i.e. 1oz milk = 1 gram of protein) is the easiest way for a quick snack. The only preperation is making sure you have milk on hand.