CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
Justin Brun

Profile:
Want to do Crossfit again, but times have changed...

I started doing Crossfit right about when the movie "300" was released as did a bunch of people. I got a few guys on board and we had a great place to workout with everything we needed...One day it all stopped...I got a membership at a gym and eventually it all fell apart. About a year ago I got a new job that really breaks any rhythm of a scheduled life. I work six days on with three days off, but I am on call for those six days. Basically I have no idea when I'm going to work during those six days or how long I'll be gone for a particular job. For me, this has not been conducive to consistently working out...I can't really schedule or plan anything and this includes working out. I was just wondering if there are those out there with a similar situation? What do you do? Work out when you can? This job has made me realize that I crave consistency and I can't get it....or am I just crying to much? Let me know what you think...thanks.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Want to do Crossfit again, but times have changed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Brun View Post
What do you do? Work out when you can?
At the risk of stating the obvious, "yes" to the above. You can't workout when you can't, so workout when you can. Crossfit is so portable and flexible that even the most hectic schedule should be able to afford the hour-ish or so that is required for warmup-workout-stretch.

- Mark
Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Mike Haas

Profile:

I found myself in a similar situation at the end of the summer. New job, VERY different hours, completely impossible to establish any kind of regular workout schedule.

in short: I've become more nimble.

My gym bag is always freshly packed and in the car. I've found a few new places to workout (one near home, one near work, one midway for when traffic is backed up and I'm not getting anywhere anyway) and random methods of getting SOME exercise even if it isn't a full workout (I'll sneak out of the office into the warehouse and do some pullups on the forklift or something).

I've established a discipline of always pouncing on an opportunity for a workout, even if I have miraculously managed to get a bunch recently, because I just don't know when the next one will come along. I've also loosened my definition of "opportunity". Sometimes I'll just go for a very quick run while my son is on the ice at hockey practice.

I like to think that I work out "harder" now, but I certainly don't get as much or as often. My general fitness level absolutely suffered for the first few months, but I think I'm back on the upswing now.

I can also easily sympathize with your craving for consistency. I've had to buckle down on other areas of my life for that.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Dunno what your living situation is. But work should not be an excuse.

Regardless, I would get a couple of sets of k-bells minimum and go from there, incorporating as much gear as appropriate for your space and budget over time.

You can also improvise on a lot of stuff you don't have. I run my own business as well as working part-time for a company, writing a daily blog (50K+ hits a month), travelling, three small kids. So I can relate.

I have built a decent little home gym over the years that is now about 85% fully CF outfitted.

You can do it. Use these boards and videos for inspiration and instruction. Nice website for WODs is the Wod Shop (WFS).
Old 01-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Yes, I think you're crying too much. You should be able to fit in 3 1/2 workouts on your 6 days of work, and then longer on the 3 off if you want. Make it happen.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Justin Brun

Profile:

Thanks everyone for the help...