CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-03-2006, 10:32 PM   #1
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
For quite some time ( years?! ) I have used either water, gatorade, powerade, and more recently cytomax ( at first the sucralose version, now a non sugar version ). I have looked at Endurox or Accelerade and gels ( recommended by an endurance friend ).
Awhile ago, starting off with the horrible flavor of this brand of Cytomax ( the pink lemonade ) I started just trying out water. Typically, non tap or filtered water being bottled well water or spring water.
I seem to notice even after diluting the carb and sugar-esque drink that I still seemed to get wasted, especially around Rogers metcon at the end of the workout or on my own.
From just going back to water, ( while I still consider myself to be on the road back perhaps lagging a bit in intensity ); I did not seem to suffer from any detriments or post workout affects.
Far from scientific since I should do the same workouts and compare results water vs say cytomax or gatorade ( which I am considering ).
Anyways, so the other night I played around with adding lemon juice to the water ( which I generally try to but generally forget to do so ) and some sea salt.

Before workouts, I generally drink whey protein ( I can mix it straight with just water ). It has a just a tad bit of minerals and vitamins but not I do not remember it containing any multivitamin complex. The milk and egg protein I have does, but I generally use that for post workout. I figure that gives me just what I need. Sometimes I add L-glutamine to it.

So, dya think any benefits could be made of adding lemon juice and the sea salt? ( perhaps mined salt would be better due to ocean water contamination ). I thought of perhaps adding some orange juice to it in a small concentration ( so as to not contain too much sugar )for potassium. As well perhaps some nigari?

It took me a long time to train myself to just drink water. I can remember having to just make it a habit every morning and night to get used to it. Now, I just try to keep a jug handy. Though I would really like to mix some lemon juice in there or salt.

The whole point of this was to do make something natural. On a side note, I am sure spring or well water is not just pure filtered O2 and has a bunch of trace elements besides no fluorine or chlorine.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:40 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Bump people. I want feedback! Perhaps a bit too convuluted.

On a side note, as I was commuting today, it occurred to me mountain or spring water might have trace minerals in it already. Had a pretty good workout the other day with it and today. My friends swears it must taste horrible, but I find it tastes like the yellow gatorade I grew up on; minus the taste of sugar.