CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #101
Dakota Base

Profile:
Re: Did Rippetoe get CrossFit right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
And I would say probably 100% of people working out have at least some goal in mind--such as feeling good or being fit or looking good or losing body fat--even if they don't have a well-defined goal or a competition in mind.
I'm a very goal oriented person, throughout every aspect of my life. Macro goals, micro-goals, complementary goals, supplementary etc etc. As components of those goals, I define strict KPI's and metric management systems.

So if I'm in a cycle where I want to get more fit, or look better, or lose body fat, I put strict definitions on that those goals mean, which leads to lead and lag measures, KPI's, all building into a plan of attack.

Saying "I want to be more fit" is too vague. So someone wants to be more fit, without any more definitions beyond that, they have no guidance in terms of how to improve. So they go lift a little, run a little, ellipticize, whatever. Then over about 6wks, they drop a pant size and don't get quite so sweaty during a 20min walk on a treadmill. Success... But the bar wasn't set very high... This is the problem with "exercising" as I see it...

But if you put a proper goal in front of "I want to be more fit," such as say "I want to take "XX seconds off of my mile time" or "I want to lose XXlbs of body fat" etc etc. Then I can define my workout plans and establish smaller milestone goals along the way, and pursue a more rapid growth and more ambitious gains. This is the benefit of "training" as I see it...

So I'm prone to favor "training" over "exercise", based on goal-oriented growth. "Exercise" to me, well, I am prone to agree with Tyler Durden's definition for "self-improvement" in terms of effectiveness of "exercise"....
Old 02-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #102
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
Saying "I want to be more fit" is too vague.
Yeah, makes sense to me. I am 38 years-old now, and I hope I have much more progress in me, but I often worry about the time when I get too old to make any more progress.

Hopefully, that doesn't happen until I'm 50+ years-old, but when I get to the point that my deadlift or bench press stops increasing, or my Fran time stops decreasing, then I'm very worried that all my motivation will fall apart, and I will simply cease all physical activity.

So, with those goals (or "end" of my goals in mind, I guess) does what I'm doing now still count as "training"?

Someone smarter than me will have to answer that, I guess.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #103
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Schultz View Post
Yeah, makes sense to me. I am 38 years-old now, and I hope I have much more progress in me, but I often worry about the time when I get too old to make any more progress.

Hopefully, that doesn't happen until I'm 50+ years-old, but when I get to the point that my deadlift or bench press stops increasing, or my Fran time stops decreasing, then I'm very worried that all my motivation will fall apart, and I will simply cease all physical activity.

So, with those goals (or "end" of my goals in mind, I guess) does what I'm doing now still count as "training"?

Someone smarter than me will have to answer that, I guess.
Probably not me. I agree with Dakota it's largely mindset.

It's like the difference between playing and competing. Is there one? Just a matter of seriousness really.

If someone has seriously "trained" for 4 or 5 years and hasn't done anything special yet, it's better they go exercise and play instead. It will be less stressful and more fun.

Though I also "play train" for things like 5Ks, mile time, 400m time, gymnastics skills. Still seeing improvement at 54 y.o. Strength gains are harder to come by but I'm happy with maintaining.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #104
Christopher Murphy

Profile:

If you go to http://nccflab.com (wfs) you can see what programming hi level games competitors from NorCal follow. They do Crossfit.com workouts sprinkled in amongst a lot of other things akin to what Kane Greene was saying.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #105
Mark Boyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I think it goes beyond mindset. I think Rip is trying to address the need for a plan and intention.

I may have the mindset to be able to deadlift 400lbs. But if I just search the internet for a different WOD each day and hopes it gets my deadlift up. That would just be exercising. You might reach your goal, but most likely by chance.

On the other hand, if I have the goal to deadlift 400lbs and I find/build a program that is going to build me up to that goal by properly increasing the training intensity and volume. That is training.

So I think some CrossFitters are exercising in Rips mind. They do WODs always at high intensity and probably get some results but there isn't more depth than just training hard all the time.

But, I think there are plenty of CrossFitters who train. They purposely plan and use each phase of their plan to build the next. CrossFit Football would be an excellent example.

"Exercising" might get you to where you want. But, ideally, "training" should get you there faster, safer and more efficiently.

I feel Rip has a point, but it doesn't apply across the board to Crossfit. It has to be applied to the individual. My guess is that there would be a higher percentage of CFer's who train compared to globo gym goers and recreational athletes who repeat the same training day in and out. How many Zumba classes are out there? That's clearly exercise.

I think CF has created a lot of benchmarks and goals that people did not strive for until now. Before CF, in the general community, my guess is most people would ask what you bench and in the endurance crowd wonder what your 5K time was or if you did a marathon. When one is exposed to CF, I think there goals broaden and they can see a lot more aspects of fitness they need to improve. I still suck at Oly lifts, but before CF never knew I had that weakness. So now aspects of my training address that when it is in align with my current training goals.
Very good post. I think this is exactly correct.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #106
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Robert Fabsik I don't disagree with what you say about people who just randomly search the internet for a workout each day without following a plan. That is not an optimum way to train or reach a goal. However, I don't agree that is what Rippetoe was trying to say. If so, he would have said it just like you did. You make your point quite clearly--it was not hard. Rippetoe has co-authored a couple of successful books, so he knows what he is doing when it comes to communication.

If Rippetoe wanted to write about the drawbacks of people randomly picking various workouts off the internet, as opposed to following a plan (such as CrossFit main site, Outlaw, CrossFit New England, or others), well he could have done that and made a good point. He did something entirely different and flat out stated CrossFit itself is random programming. As a former Level 1 staff member, he knew he was making false statements and misleading his readers.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:54 AM   #107
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

From what I've learned/read and experienced of the CrossFit Methodology, it is not random. But, because its goal is generalized one can think or see it as random.

Because of that, I think many CrossFitters will randomly program thinking you just mix up intensity and mode everyday and you should be fine. Again this goes to good vs. bad boxes/trainers and not the methodology of CrossFit.

So the farthest I can criticize Rip without talking to him in person, is that his critcism of the methodolgy is off when the methodology is properly used. But, he's dead on for some CrossFitters out there who randomly program.

As a sample of ideal CrossFitting, without seeing the man behind the curtain's thinking, mainsite's programming certainly seems random to me. I've always felt its strength component for repeated adaptation is lacking.