CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Louie Simmons on Barbell Shrugged

Pretty good talk with a lot of his thoughts on Crossfit for any of you fans of Westside.

http://fitr.tv (some language, otherwise WFS)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Kenny Markwardt

Profile:
Re: Louie Simmons on Barbell Shrugged

Louis is very hard for me to understand. I'm not sure if I'm stupid or if it's the way he communicates. He obviously knows what he is doing, but I have a hard time pulling information from his conversations. I feel like he answers a lot of questions by declaring how many incredibly strong men he has developed. I've listened to that podcast 3x now and I finally feel like I've pulled something out of it.

I felt like his Book of Methods is the same way. No disrespect intended, just wishing it was clearer to understand some of his points.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I felt his Bench Manual and Squat/Deadlift Manual are easier reads.

The Book of Methods is a compilation of a lot of articles over the years, hence it seems to come from many different directions at once.

Dave Tate's Periodization Bible is a good Conjugate Summary. It's not 100% Westside, but reading through that should make it easier to listen to Louie.

The basic points I got from the show is that:

Unless you have elite levels of strength for your sport, you need to build absolute strength. So if you can clean and jerk 400lbs, WOD's with 135 cleans will be much easier. Therefore, most newcomers to CrossFit and those not competitive at the games/regionals should be working absolute strength.

Attack your weaknesses. This can be from a total training perspective or on a body part analysis. He feels our Oly lifters focus on speed/technique but then want to set a clean and jerk record with a low max front squat. Your front squat should outdistance your clean so you have reserve when you are setting a clean record. If you strong but slow, work on speed. Fast, but weak work on strength. If your lifts break down, figure out what muscle is weak and attack it with special exercises.

He believes in working the parts to build the whole and to not drill the same styles over and over to prevent accomodation. So instead of doing WOD after WOD hoping to improve strength, speed and endurance, train strength, train speed and train endurance. Then bring them back together.

Obviously, he feels his method addresses this the best. Do Max Effort Workouts to build absolute strength. Use dynamic effort workouts to build speed. Use assistance work on those days to build your muscular weaknesses. Then do other workouts to build endurance, practice CF moves and then test with WODs.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Kevin Benson

Profile:

Thanks for posting that. Never heard of Barbell Shrugged before.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Kenny Markwardt

Profile:

Great recommendation on the Periodization Bible. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
The basic points I got from the show is that:

Unless you have elite levels of strength for your sport, you need to build absolute strength. So if you can clean and jerk 400lbs, WOD's with 135 cleans will be much easier. Therefore, most newcomers to CrossFit and those not competitive at the games/regionals should be working absolute strength.

Attack your weaknesses. This can be from a total training perspective or on a body part analysis. He feels our Oly lifters focus on speed/technique but then want to set a clean and jerk record with a low max front squat. Your front squat should outdistance your clean so you have reserve when you are setting a clean record. If you strong but slow, work on speed. Fast, but weak work on strength. If your lifts break down, figure out what muscle is weak and attack it with special exercises.

He believes in working the parts to build the whole and to not drill the same styles over and over to prevent accomodation. So instead of doing WOD after WOD hoping to improve strength, speed and endurance, train strength, train speed and train endurance. Then bring them back together.

Obviously, he feels his method addresses this the best. Do Max Effort Workouts to build absolute strength. Use dynamic effort workouts to build speed. Use assistance work on those days to build your muscular weaknesses. Then do other workouts to build endurance, practice CF moves and then test with WODs.
These have always been Louie's big soapboxes and I tend to agree with all of them. The guy makes sense to me about these topics, and I hate that he has never even attempted to produce a high level olympic lifter because I think he is right on the money. With all the recent videos from Klokov on youtube the last month it is obvious his basic strength level far out paces his olympic lifting capicity. Hence I think he is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Benson View Post
Thanks for posting that. Never heard of Barbell Shrugged before.
It's actually a decent podcast. Better I think than Jon Noth's (who I like in general), which is just totally sporadic with his ramblings about weird topics and ungathered thoughts.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
These have always been Louie's big soapboxes and I tend to agree with all of them. The guy makes sense to me about these topics, and I hate that he has never even attempted to produce a high level olympic lifter because I think he is right on the money. With all the recent videos from Klokov on youtube the last month it is obvious his basic strength level far out paces his olympic lifting capicity. Hence I think he is right.

It's actually a decent podcast. Better I think than Jon Noth's (who I like in general), which is just totally sporadic with his ramblings about weird topics and ungathered thoughts.
But what if I want to slam bars and Kill PR's???
Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
http://youtu.be/N8R04T2OGvI?t=19s (wfs)

Old 07-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Dan Douglas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
I think as you kill higher and higher PRs, the bars will literally slam themselves.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

I love it .

For the fellow that has trouble understanding him, he speaks quickly. His mind is very quick and his speech pattern follows it. Once you listen to him for a while it gets easier.