CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Carl Mankiewicz

Profile:
Crossfit Endurance and Plantar Faciitis

So I've been reading Brian Mackenzie's book and have started down the CFE road. I have a ton of experience marathon running and Tri training (Ironmans etc). I came to crossfit because I have been sidelined by horrific Plantar Faciitis and needed a way to get strong and keep training.
I can run (low miles....less than 40 m.p.w) but I can't do any of the speed work or hill training as it flairs up the PF VERY badly.
So my question is, does anyone have any suggestions about how I would scale the runs so I can still build up a good base? I can run the actual prescribed milage, I just can't do any of the speed work (intervals etc) or hill training.
Bike and swim interval work are no problem, just not the running.
Should I lay off the runs completely? . . . . just run the miles w/o the speedwork? . . .supplement more swim/bike interval work instead of runs?
Im kind of at a loss on how to proceed. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Megan Zetter

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Endurance and Plantar Faciitis

Have you been able to do speed work in the past without PF issues? If you have never really done speed work and or intense workouts, such as crossfit, your body may not "know" how to sprint properly. It sounds as though you have a long history of endurance training. With that, your body/muscles/mechanics are geared for slowing running. I suspect it maybe due to the mechanics and muscle imbalance that was naturally created through your Ironman/marathon training.

Weak hip flexors, and gastrocsoleus as well as foot intrinsics are often a problem with people who have chronic PF.

I know your question was geared towards how to modify your workouts, but if you don't the PF resolved you will have more issues at some point. And are you certain it's PF? Not all heel or arch pain is PF. Any treatment?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
Clair Burke

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Endurance and Plantar Faciitis

I would put just o extra intervals/speedwork on the bike. However in my experience that's likely to tighten the claves/achiles even more and exacerbate the PF.
I found regular yoga practice sorted out my PF - it now only happens if I don't do any yoga, and box jumps sometimes mess me up too.