CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-27-2004, 01:39 PM   #1
Alex

Profile:  
Well I have been into healthy eating well before I was into serious fitness training(actually REAL fitness training only started recently for me when I found out about this site) I originaly started eating healthy when I was competing in thaikickboxing to have good control over my weight and keep body fat as low as possible, I read a few articles on the paleo diet and I agree with the fact that the more natarul foods are def a lot better for you and that eating like that has some serious health benefits but I was wondering what do you guys substitute carbs with instead of bread, if with vegetables then you guys must consume quite a lot of vegetables a day with every meal and fruits ofcourse. And i also was wondering on what did you notice when you took bread and wheat based products out of your diet, as in dramatic changes?
Old 06-27-2004, 02:27 PM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I just recently took all grain out of my diet, save a PB&J or Hooters run on the weekends. My performance hasn't suffered one bit (in fact, it seems to have improved, but that could just be a result of constant CF training). I fill my plate with about 1/3 meat and the rest veggies with a bit of fruit throughout the day. I'm pleased with the reduction/elimination of grains in my diet.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:03 AM   #3
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
I'll try and make this simple and empirical.

I used to LOVE bread. I made a gradual shift a little less than a year ago and have felt like sojmething is missing from my diet. Yes, I eat a lot of leafy vegetables like spinach and lettuce, nuts like sunflower seeds, almonds and walnuts and feel great after each meal, no matter how much I eat. I never "crave" for food, I'll just get hungry when I should.

I have of course during this past year eaten cookies, ice cream, chocolate, and once, a Double quarter pounder with cheese! Needles to say I felt like ***** every one of those times.

By now I know that it's not only that I ate something my body wasn't used to (refined carbs, sugars etc.) and thus felt sick, but I have realized that everyone of those time I would eat say a large serving of Spaghetti or Pizza in the past, I would still feel like *****! It's just that now I have something infinetly better to compare it to: eating Paleo.

Hope that helps.:happy:
Old 07-01-2004, 11:44 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I just ate a "sandwich" on a organic whole wheat tortella. No big deal. . .it's not bread but still grain based. I haven't been a food nazi, and hover between 6 and 7% body fat. I do think we need to have a healthy balanced mental approach to our food. We can sometimes become too excessive and restrictive IMO.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:20 AM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
All of this can become dicey as obsessing about food appears to be an easy thing for some folks to do.

Generally I recomend that people tinker with removing grains from the diet at least for a time. Upon reintroduction it is important to see how you feel. For many they have had chronic gastritis or other issues for so long it had become "normal".

Information regarding food intollerances/allergies is becoming more available but I like to make some of these less known points available.
Robb
Old 07-17-2004, 09:53 AM   #6
Alex

Profile:  
yeah but there is a big difference between eating icecream or cookies (refined sugar items) then eating something like whole wheat bread or drinking milk or eating brown rice (whole wheat foods and dairy)I ve tried paleo and I fell the sam as what I was eating before- no refined grains or sugars actually no sugars at all exept for fruits and soem juices, i did eat whole wheat bread peanut butter, and dairy, I do agree however that when i consumed grains in large amounts even whoelwheat like just had it for more then 40 percent of my meals i had indigestion problems but i think balance is important so i duno in my opinions unprocessed grains are ok in moderation like for breakfast
Old 07-17-2004, 10:04 AM   #7
Alex

Profile:  
No sugar
No Coffe
No Alcohol
No Mayonaise or Dressings
No refined grains exept white rice in small portions (sushi)
No cereals no bars or other fast foods
No more then 40 % grains
No fried foods
No Margarine
One Glass of Juice a day
Eat lots of lean meats, fish, chicken, turkey, pork
Lots of Vegetables and fruits
Eggs
Nuts
Oatmeal
Most meats are grilled or broiled
At least one Yogurt a day
Eat at least 1-2 hours before bed
At least 8 hours of sleep

This is my diet I dont really eat like this to keep body fat off I am blessed with amazing genes and can live off macdonalds and cookies for months and wont gain more then 5 pounds I eat this way because its balanced and I feel good and have lots of energy, just thought id share this with yu guys to see some feedback about my diet