CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-19-2012, 04:03 AM   #1
Christopher E. Bernardo

Profile:
3 Pos Snatch + Hi Hang Snatch Critique

Just started learning the snatch a few weeks ago with the help of Greg Everett's book and video. Any inputs or observations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

(WFS) http://youtu.be/-UjyU9wFwBs
Old 07-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Keith Miller

Profile:
Re: 3 Pos Snatch + Hi Hang Snatch Critique

A couple of things I would tell you as a coach: first, don't move from position to position so fast, pause at each position for a full one-mississippi count. Second, when you pause, stay tight!! You don't stay tight. Also, get more aggressive with the final pull to get under the bar.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Christopher E. Bernardo

Profile:

Copy that. I agree, I'm having a hard time using the shrug to move down quicker. I also noticed my feet land about a foot behind the jumping position, and the 2nd pull doesn't move the bar that far behind me. This results in the bar pulling me forward in the land, I think.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Ben Orga

Profile:

When you break the bar off the ground that's the first stop. About 3in off the ground. Your not letting the bar come into your hips, you trying to muscle it from below your hips. Keep your lats tight and back all the way through, allowing the bar to come into your hips.

Stay tight.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I don't have Greg's book but when Greg and I learned the 3-position snatch from Mike Burgener it was one snatch from the hang, one snatch from mid-thigh and one snatch from the floor. So that's three lifts, not one lift with three pauses.

http://mikesgym.org/wod.php?show=wod&wodID=2601

Link is w/f safe.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Carl N Cobb

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
I don't have Greg's book but when Greg and I learned the 3-position snatch from Mike Burgener it was one snatch from the hang, one snatch from mid-thigh and one snatch from the floor. So that's three lifts, not one lift with three pauses.

http://mikesgym.org/wod.php?show=wod&wodID=2601

Link is w/f safe.
He may be following The Outlaw Way, i just did those yesterday.. Its a 3 stop snatch PULL to a High Hang Snatch..

CJ
Old 07-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Christopher E. Bernardo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl N Cobb View Post
He may be following The Outlaw Way, i just did those yesterday.. Its a 3 stop snatch PULL to a High Hang Snatch..

CJ
Carl N Cobb you are correct. Trying to get strong, but focusing on movement technique right now until I get that where it needs to be. Thanks to all for the responses, I appreciate the feedback.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Carl N Cobb

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher E. Bernardo View Post
Carl N Cobb you are correct. Trying to get strong, but focusing on movement technique right now until I get that where it needs to be. Thanks to all for the responses, I appreciate the feedback.
Dont worry man that is what I am doing right now too, I just started following The Outlaw Way for the BBG's cause i suck at Oly Lifts.. I can power snatch the weight you missed, but for some reason i havent manned up enough to pull myself under it into a full squat.. Once i get that down ill be happy, today's conditioning work calls for it, so i will see how that goes.

CJ
Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
Mitch Medeiros

Profile:

It looked, to me, like you had plenty of height on the bar to make the lift. I think it was just too far out in front. Try your best to get comfortable holding a heavy piece of steel directly above your head. Once you are used to throwing it up and landing with it where it should be (it may feel like it's slightly behind you) then you'll land it, no problem.

Basically, just man up and tell yourself that you'll make it (because you will).