CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Bryan Spillman

Profile:
Clydesdale Men: Represent!

I also don't know if this is Best place for this post, sorry

It looks like the average weight of the crossfitter' is about 170-200 lbs.

(I don't have any hard facts, other than the Open profiles, people at my box, other posts I have read throughout various forums.)

I don't hardly see anyone that is over 225 lbs. Has anyone seen any "bigger" guys that can still destroy the WoDs? (girls and hero wods?)

I'm slowly getting lighter, but can only imagine how much easier some of this will become if I can drop some pounds and maintain strength. Anything high rep or percentage of body weight destroys me.

I'm mostly interested if the training tactics for the 'heavier' guys is any different? or just more MetCons...
Old 02-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Jason Peacock

Profile:
Re: Clydesdale Men: Represent!

I don't destroy many WODs, but I am a clydesdale: 245lbs and my current progress sees me getting stronger and leaner but not much lighter...

Obviously there are WODs that will be in your wheelhouse - a 40kg snatch is child's play (relative to your size), RX KB swings are really a recovery period, and DLs are all touch-n-go.

But some stuff will always suck - bodyweight movements usually don't get much easier, but being leaner will make them faster.

I just focus on doing perfect form and full ROM, and let the clock do its own thing.

Also, focusing more on arm upper body strength appears to be a valuable approach - your lower body will be disproportionately stronger compared to a smaller person. The bigger firebreathers are usually much more stronger in their upper bodies than equivalent smaller firebreathers. And a longer torso is just heavier w/o much advantage, so you arms again have to make up for that.

Basically, set your goals for "gorilla strength"
Old 02-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Andrew Bell

Profile:

247lbs as of last night (up about 5lbs) but hope to be down to around 230 soon. Got a little carried away with the gains the last time I did a strength cycle and stopped all conditioning, and took some time off.

Ate a TON lately.......
Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Bryan Spillman

Profile:

I'm glad there are more of us out there. These smaller guys at the gym burn me up and I'm usually last one out of or done with the WoD's.

5'11" 240lbs. I don't know what my body fat is, but I am liking what I see already!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Milton Brisson

Profile:

I am about 2fiddy right now.

A couple of years ago, I worked my weight down to under 230, but I was weak (albeit, better at metcon work...).

I packed some pounds back on, but it was worth it to squat 400+!

It does seem that the WoDs are tailored to the smaller guys, for instance, I did WoD 2 from the last year's Open yesterday. the deadlifts were cake, but they throw in box jumps to mess the heavy-weights up! Same thing with Lynne! Our 250ish benches all look more impressive than the 170lb guys, but they throw in pull-ups and our scores drop!!!

CrossFit Football has a lot more benchmarks that make us look good. My favorite was one called "10,000 lbs" - basically doing CF Totals until you reach 10,000lbs, thats a big man's game for sure!

Like Mr. Peacock said, worry less about the clock, and more about your form.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Bryan Spillman

Profile:
Cool Re: Clydesdale Men: Represent!

I feel as if the body weight and % body weight are definitely scaled better the lighter you are, as long as you aren't frail. Some ask for rep schemes to all be % of body weight for RX.

wonder if there has been research to whether a pullup at 250 vs 185 is the same amount of "work". I know when running a 5K I burn a ton more calories than a smaller person.

overall, the clock and scale are fail for me so I'll just keep looking forward to injury free WoDs. lol.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Jason Denny

Profile:

I'm 6'2" and currently 235lbs. My BF is around 15% so it isn't bad. As a LEO, I like having size on my side. I do well in my WOD's but the light guys/gals usually do much better than I, and that's ok. There are only a couple of us in my gym...funny that I talked about this very subject today and he referred to us as Clydesdales. We can kill the lifts but are slower at the runs. The last 2 mainsite WODs are a good example of great at one half...not so great at the other.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Bryan Spillman

Profile:

Well, in running events there are sometimes Clydesdale divisions which I think is anyone over 200. I come from a weight lifting / football background so I think I'll always be on this side of the scale wihout losing muscle mass. Trotting on....
Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Our big boy took 2nd at the fittest games this year in Austin.

1:02 grace, 5:59 Jackie, etc.

He is an all around beast. Joined the box from bodybuilding. Will be interesting to see how he does in open.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
Scott Walters

Profile:

I'm about 250 (down from 280 ish), but I do not burn anything up except myself. I don't care. I'm getting fitter, stronger, faster and leaner, so no matter how slow I am happy ( do love cft days though)