CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 12-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Michael Ko

Profile:
Cauliflower ear

anyone here ever get cauliflower ear? i've had a very mild case and got ear guards for when i roll. i only wear it when my ears are sore.

has anyone tried to drain their own ears? gone to an ENT for treatment? use some type of compression on the cartilage?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Cauliflower ear

I would not recommend draining your own ear due to risk of infection. There is a lot of precious equipment in that ear of yours that you wouldn't want to risk any damage. Some GP would do it, or EENT.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Shane Jensen

Profile:

I've got it in my left ear from wrestling.

When I got it initially it blew up really big, I wore headgear for a while and it went down to where I thought it was gone (I was incorrect), so I ditched the headgear and about 5 minutes into the first practice without headgear I got clobbered in the ear again and it blew back up.

It didn't go away that time.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Some people are prone to getting it more than others. And once you get it, it tends to come back chronically after that. Waiting until your ears are already sore to protect them isn't the best way to go -- you want to cover them before they start hurting.

If they do get sore and you don't want them getting worse icing after practice helps and compression helps.

Not all doctors will be familiar with draining ears and some will think you're insane. So if you're going to get one drained, get a referral from a friend who's had it done before. It's really not complicated - you poke it with a syringe, suck out the fluid and then clamp the ear down so it heals up without the pocket between the tissues.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 01-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Steven Braden

Profile:

I have it. The faster you get it drained the better. And then wear your head gear all the time and you won't have to worry about it.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Michael Ko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Borawski View Post
If they do get sore and you don't want them getting worse icing after practice helps and compression helps.

Not all doctors will be familiar with draining ears and some will think you're insane. So if you're going to get one drained, get a referral from a friend who's had it done before. It's really not complicated - you poke it with a syringe, suck out the fluid and then clamp the ear down so it heals up without the pocket between the tissues.
what do you recommend to clamp down the ear? i have been using nose plugs you would use in swimming. i usually fold up a piece of gauze and place it over my ear and then put on the clamp just for added compression force.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #7
Steven Braden

Profile:

Exactly, pack it full of gauze and tape it so the gauze is getting good compression.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Braden View Post
I have it. The faster you get it drained the better. And then wear your head gear all the time and you won't have to worry about it.
So true.

I had a bit of it starting to appear on the top of my ear. Didn't get it drained right away and thought it would go away on its own. Dumb. It got a little bit worse, and I finally went to an ENT. He tried draining and compressing it, but no luck.

Finally had to go in for a bit of surgery where they CUT IT OPEN AND STITCHED GAUZE TO MY EAR. I didn't feel much pain until they took the stitches out, but being awake and fully alert while they run a needle in and out of your ear is CREEPY BAD JUJU.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Chris H Kelly

Profile:

I've had it in both ears. I train BJJ and MMA regularly. I am also a experience Paramedic. For those that haven't had it, can say, "Don't drain it yourself!". Well, it hurts, and when that pressure is bulging after you just finished rolling, you want results. Go to your pharmacy and get a couple 1cc and 3cc syringes with needles, as well as ALcohol swabs. Swab the ear down with alcohol, along with using a sterile needle, and you have no concern for infection.

Only puncture the ear from the front, and drain as needed. If you leave it there, it will clot, and it will cut off any future blood supply to the cartilage in the ear and you will look like Randy Coture. As soon as you drain it, I like to press gauze to the ear, and use a potato chip bag clip to keep pressure 5-10 min. I wasn't strict on this with my left ear, and its ugly. My right, I did this after every training session and you can't tell it was ever there.

And I don't care what people say, I'm not wearing head gear, lol.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Troy Becker

Profile:

I went ahead and drained my own years ago when it started happening, as I happen to have really small needles and alcohol swabs, and you can't even tell it happened now, unless you touch it and know what you're looking for. If really isn't hard, just stick it in, suck it out, and use the alcohol swabs before and after.