CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-04-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
Sheldon Kranendonk

Profile:
Advice please?

Good morning all,

I have a question regarding maintaining fitness levels. My situation is that I have graves desease and am having radiation treatment tomorrow. I was previously on tyroid suppressing medication but have been off of it for a week. During that time i have become lathargic, tired, and feeling weak. Some of the other symptoms are joint aches and muscle weakness.

I have been doing the 70's big S&CP with fantastic results. But I know that with being off the tyroid medication and having the radiation treatment it will be some time before my body is able to regulate its self. I don't want to lose my progress but know that my body wont be able to handle the stress of continuing on with the progression of weight until my thyroid levels normalize.

So my question:
Is there anyway to try to maintain current fitness levels?
Old 08-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
Dustin Standel

Profile:
Re: Advice please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Kranendonk View Post
Good morning all,

I have a question regarding maintaining fitness levels. My situation is that I have graves desease and am having radiation treatment tomorrow. I was previously on tyroid suppressing medication but have been off of it for a week. During that time i have become lathargic, tired, and feeling weak. Some of the other symptoms are joint aches and muscle weakness.

I have been doing the 70's big S&CP with fantastic results. But I know that with being off the tyroid medication and having the radiation treatment it will be some time before my body is able to regulate its self. I don't want to lose my progress but know that my body wont be able to handle the stress of continuing on with the progression of weight until my thyroid levels normalize.

So my question:
Is there anyway to try to maintain current fitness levels?
Sorry to hear about your medical issues. My wife had thyroid cancer, so her thyroid had to be removed as well as having radiation therapy and she lives on thyroid replacement therapy. Occasionally she has to be taken off of the synthroid for periodic scans for the cancer coming out of remission. So I empathize with you.

The hard truth is both thyroid imbalance and radiation therapy impairs your ability to exercise as you did before, so if you lose a little bit of fitness, please don't be too upset (its hard - I know how hard you work to get it in the first place). The good news is you maintain most of your fitness over short duration by doing the movements. Start with light weight - the bar - and work to where you are comfortable. Your strength levels won't be what they are normally so don't expect them to be. Always use a spotter too - this is especially important now. Don't try to go heavy. The idea is to keep the neuro pathways and the muscle memory not hypertrophy or strength building.

When you are back to your normal levels, ease back into heavy lifting it may take 3-4 weeks to get back to your current levels, but don't rush it - 1. it comes back faster than it was originally gained and 2. if you rush it you'll make it worse by creating an injury.

Your health and safety comes first. You won't be fit or strong if you compromise either of those 2 things. I'm not a doctor so this isn't medical advice, but this is advice my wife's doctor gave her, so hope it helps.

Good luck.
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 08-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
Sheldon Kranendonk

Profile:
Re: Advice please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Standel View Post
Sorry to hear about your medical issues. My wife had thyroid cancer, so her thyroid had to be removed as well as having radiation therapy and she lives on thyroid replacement therapy. Occasionally she has to be taken off of the synthroid for periodic scans for the cancer coming out of remission. So I empathize with you.

The hard truth is both thyroid imbalance and radiation therapy impairs your ability to exercise as you did before, so if you lose a little bit of fitness, please don't be too upset (its hard - I know how hard you work to get it in the first place). The good news is you maintain most of your fitness over short duration by doing the movements. Start with light weight - the bar - and work to where you are comfortable. Your strength levels won't be what they are normally so don't expect them to be. Always use a spotter too - this is especially important now. Don't try to go heavy. The idea is to keep the neuro pathways and the muscle memory not hypertrophy or strength building.

When you are back to your normal levels, ease back into heavy lifting it may take 3-4 weeks to get back to your current levels, but don't rush it - 1. it comes back faster than it was originally gained and 2. if you rush it you'll make it worse by creating an injury.

Your health and safety comes first. You won't be fit or strong if you compromise either of those 2 things. I'm not a doctor so this isn't medical advice, but this is advice my wife's doctor gave her, so hope it helps.

Good luck.
Thanks for that. I know I am not going to be at the same level for a while...I was just looking for advice on ways to continue to stay active and maintain some of my strenght. When I first started having symptoms I lost pretty much all my strengh and had to start from the bar. 2 months of no exersize was killing me. so I would like to avoid it.