CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Question from a friend - Bench Press

i can see how pullups would be hard for a 6'2" 260lb guy... LOL

for his weight, he is pretty weak overall, but his bench is crazy weak. he should be able to straight overhead press 300. i agree his delts and triceps must be weak. at this point, he has obviously been training a while, so he needs to change things up. try doing dips. if his triceps are weak then work them. heck, high frequency pushups would probably help at this point in time. do a few sub-max sets a few times a day with different hand position each time.

sounds like he may be close to overtraining as well. he may need to rest more. also no mention of his diet, but if he is training hard and not eating enough it will seriously mess up results. he needs to eat big, lift big, and rest big. and do something different in his training.

if he has never tried a straight linear progression, then give that a try. other wise, go to conj method and stick to the program without much extra. if he still has to do hard football workouts all the time and that is his priority, then he may have to lift less in order to recover. alot of football players do straight 2 or 3 times a week lifting and do full body every time the lift. basic, short, intense workouts.

also has he tried following CFFB? try that for a few months and see where it goes.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #12
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

What does his S&C coach recommend? If he's playing college football he should have someone intelligent programming for him. His bench and his deadlift are pretty weak compared to his squat, which also means he's likely not squatting to full depth. Benching twice a week shouldn't be overtraining so he should be seeing some progress assuming he's eating and sleeping enough.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay Chahar View Post
Hello everyone,
I am posting here on behalf of a friend who is a football player. He has been playing football since high school and he told me today that his bench press hasn't budged over the past 4 years. It has always been between 285-310. He has tried a few things to increase it but the numbers won't budge. Any advice for the guy?

If you need more info, let me know and I will post it.
Tell him to run my 30 day program. He doesn't need to follow the caloric intake guidelines if he does not want to. Tell him to follow the program EXACTLY. It works for EVERYONE. He will see a 15-35 lbs increase in 30 days on his 1RM.

WFS: http://www.wannabebig.com/training/p...bs-in-30-days/\

p.s. The supplement recommendations are also optional. They will help, but the program works well either way.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #14
Richard Colon

Profile:

Hey Chris, nice program.

Quick ?
Here is a copy and paste - all the bold stuff is yours
-----------------------------------
Samples of Bench Progression

Beginning Bench Press = 200 lbs

Week 1

Monday – 200 x 65% = 130 lbs
Wednesday – 200 x 75% = 150lbs
Friday – 200 x 85% = 170 lbs

Week 2

Monday – 130 + 10 = 140 lbs
Wednesday – 150 + 10 = 160 lbs
Friday – 170 + 10 = 180 lbs

Question is, Wednesday I am doing 2 sets of 3 reps. I keep that 160lbs for BOTH sets in week 2 right? I saw this part...

Then, for weeks 2 and on, you should increase the loads used for benching by 5 lbs per set (per day). (Above example is using 10 lb jumps). Does that mean set 1 is 160 lbs then set 2 is 170 lbs right on Week 2, Wednesday workout? I see weights getting out of control that way.

Last edited by Richard Colon : 08-03-2011 at 11:04 PM.