CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #31
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: Crossfit is Open Source Fitness

Mostly because they become thinly veiled barbs at CrossFit. This is the CrossFit message board. We'd like people to try to add to a positive atmosphere, not :stir:
While some posts may seem innocent and inquiring, if you knew the backstory, you would know they are not.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #32
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I know some of it. And I agree. Many people are out to jab CF. But some people are honestly questioning certain aspects of the programming and giving good rationale behind it. Why is this bad? In your own AUP you say this is welcomed yet you moderate people like Tamara and Shane who genuinely try to help the community (the community being people wanting to be fit and healthy). Yes they are not blind CF cheerleaders and they question some of the programming. However they both have quite a bit of experience to back up whatever they say. Wouldn't you think these would be the kind of people you'd like to have a healthy debate with? I guess not. It's better to just censor them.

Last edited by Matt Thomas : 08-02-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #33
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Mostly because they become thinly veiled barbs at CrossFit. This is the CrossFit message board. We'd like people to try to add to a positive atmosphere, not :stir:
While some posts may seem innocent and inquiring, if you knew the backstory, you would know they are not.
Camille, there ARE people out there, such as myself, who have no "backstory" or bone to pick with HQ. I am a military affiliate so I make no money/lose no money over CF; CF HQ has never done me wrong. I, of course, have my own gripes (e.g., Reebok, letting guys like Robb Wolf and OPT go because of "dissent," etc...), but that isn't relevant to this discussion. Myself and many others are genuinely curious as to why CF HQ doesn't do what they said they would in regards to chasing the best program. It seems odd to me that the mainpage WODs seem to be stuck chasing elite performance yet make no attempt to mirror what the top CF athletes appear to be doing. The mainpage programmers (Dave and Tony? I'm not even really sure who programs the mainpage) can't possibly believe that it is the best programming to develop top-tier CrossFitters when, apparently, no one in the Top 10 (Male/Female) follows it. This begs the question, what are they doing to improve the programming. I mean, it stands to reason that CF HQ would like to ensure that CrossFit.com would be the best foundation for which to prepare for the CrossFit Games, no? If that is not their goal, then what is? Clearly, the health/longevity train left the station when they ostracized Robb Wolf and Paleo as "pseudo-science." So, if CrossFit.com isn't programmed/intended to produce the best/top CrossFit athletes, and it isn't designed to maximize health and longevity; what IS it designed for? I have met both Dave and Tony on several occasions, and I know that neither one of them is stupid or clueless...they obviously have a goal/vision for mainsite programming, but the more they keep people in the dark (which is the opposite of Open Source, BTW), the more people will continue to bash them, and subsequently, CF HQ for shoddy programming.

I realize that your post wasn't directed at me, or anyone in particular, however I felt that it is important to point out that not everyone has a dastardly agenda against CF and simply is asking for CF HQ to follow through on their word.

- Alex

Old 08-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #34
Alex Europa

Profile:

And not to , but from the Level 1 Training Guide (W/F/S):

Quote:
The CrossFit methodology depends on full disclosure of methods, results, and criticisms, and we’ve employed the Internet (and various intranets) to support these values. Our charter is open source, making co-developers out of participating coaches, athletes, and trainers through a spontaneous and collaborative online community. CrossFit is empirically driven, clinically tested, and community developed.
(Page 4)

Quote:
CrossFit is an open-source engine where inputs from any quarter can be publicly given to demonstrate fitness and fitness programming, and where
coaches, trainers, and athletes can collectively advance the art and science of optimizing human performance.
(Page 4)

- Alex

Old 08-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #35
Camille Lore

Profile:  

The message board is not HQ and vice versa. I moderate the message board, and so do others.
I don't recall seeing Tony Budding or Dave Castro on the message boards, so if you want to ask them a question, email Dave at CrossFit.com or Tony at Crossfit.com. Discussing it here probably won't get you any answers.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #36
Lynne Pitts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
I know some of it. And I agree. Many people are out to jab CF. But some people are honestly questioning certain aspects of the programming and giving good rationale behind it. Why is this bad? In your own AUP you say this is welcomed yet you moderate people like Tamara and Shane who genuinely try to help the community (the community being people wanting to be fit and healthy). Yes they are not blind CF cheerleaders and they question some of the programming. However they both have quite a bit of experience to back up whatever they say. Wouldn't you think these would be the kind of people you'd like to have a healthy debate with? I guess not. It's better to just censor them.
I guess your definition of "help the community" and "question the the programming" are different than ours.

Constant barbs and not-that-veiled insults towards CF and the founders are neither helpful, nor "questioning" - they are just insulting.

If people could manage to simply discuss, without the need for insults and disparagement, then we'd have "discussion."

But most, including you, Matt, really just can't.

Closed Thread