CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Andrew Roden

Profile:
Crossfit is Open Source Fitness

Crossfit is Open Sourced right?

I think we need a thread with some data.

Maybe some testing metrics, some programming, and some repeated tests to show performance improvements with main site or other affiliate programming?

Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Alex Europa

Profile:
Re: Crossfit is Open Source Fitness

I think everyone here would love to see this happen, but don't hold your breath...at least not from HQ. And, unfortunately, it would be VERY difficult for anyone else to really compile the data since they wouldn't have first-hand accounts of what was done (i.e., the Holmberg/Froning video only shows one day of training; hardly adequate to determine what their volume, programming, and periodization looked like throughout the entire year).

The easiest way to go about this is to do EXACTLY what Greg Glassman said he would do if someone came in and won the Games w/o doing CrossFit. Mind you, I'm of the belief that the vast majority (if not all) of the Games competitors "do CrossFit," others disagree...but that has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

HQ should review the training logs of the Top 10 (give or take) Male and Female finishers and adjust the mainpage programming to reflect what is clearly superior training.

EDIT TO ADD: Someone could probably get a large amount of data of mainpage improvement/performance across nearly infinite demographics by utilizing resources such as Beyond the Whiteboard and LogsItAll.

- Alex

Last edited by Alex Europa : 08-01-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
HQ should review the training logs of the Top 10 (give or take) Male and Female finishers and adjust the mainpage programming to reflect what is clearly superior training.
The problem here is that when you reach a certain level in your training the training has to become very specific for the individual. I'd be willing to bet that the top 10 male/female athletes don't train in the same manner.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Alex Europa

Profile:

Yes and no...We are, after all, talking about GPP.

True, they are going to each be working on their own goats, but I think that we would see more similiarities than differences in their overall training programs (e.g., several short, heavy metcons in one day).

- Alex

Old 08-02-2011, 02:59 AM   #5
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
The easiest way to go about this is to do EXACTLY what Greg Glassman said he would do if someone came in and won the Games w/o doing CrossFit. Mind you, I'm of the belief that the vast majority (if not all) of the Games competitors "do CrossFit," others disagree...but that has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.
The problem being that "Crossfit" really has no true definition. I could post workouts I did back in my high school days for football, basketball, and track and it would be easy enough to claim that they were "Crossfit".

One thing that is probably safe to say is none of the top game competitors follow the main site.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:13 AM   #6
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
The problem being that "Crossfit" really has no true definition. I could post workouts I did back in my high school days for football, basketball, and track and it would be easy enough to claim that they were "Crossfit".

One thing that is probably safe to say is none of the top game competitors follow the main site.
Do you think then that the mainsite should change? Or is it a case of mainsite followers and games competitors having different goals and therefore different programs?

Old 08-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #7
Paulo Santos

Profile:

People should separate CrossFit and the CrossFit games. They are two totally different animals. Think of CrossFit as a bunch of guys (weekend warriors) playing a pick up game of fottball, basketball, soccer, etc. Think of the CrossFit Games as professional athletes playing professional sports. While the weekend warriors and the professional athletes may be playing the same game, or in this case, doing the same workouts, the elite athletes/CrossFitters are doing it at a totally different level. And just like the elite sports athletes train different/harder from the weekend warriors, the elite CrossFitters train different/harder than the regular everyday CrossFitters. JMHO.

The one thing I would change about the mainsite is that I would add scaling, like they do at Brand X.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #8
Andrew Roden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
People should separate CrossFit and the CrossFit games. They are two totally different animals. . And just like the elite sports athletes train different/harder from the weekend warriors, the elite CrossFitters train different/harder than the regular everyday CrossFitters. JMHO.
Yes but the original idea promoted by crossfit was that the needs/programming should differ only in intensity but not in kind for the average joe and the pro.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #9
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Roden View Post
Yes but the original idea promoted by crossfit was that the needs/programming should differ only in intensity but not in kind for the average joe and the pro.
I guess it is just part of the evolution of CrossFit. I don't think anyone ever envisioned the CrossFit Games. That changes things. I wouldn't be surprised if CrossFit in general changes/evolves even more.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #10
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
Do you think then that the mainsite should change? Or is it a case of mainsite followers and games competitors having different goals and therefore different programs?
Depends, what is Crossfit?

Quote:
The CrossFit program is designed for universal scalability making it the perfect application for any committed individual regardless of experience. We’ve used our same routines for elderly individuals with heart disease and cage fighters one month out from televised bouts. We scale load and intensity; we don’t change programs.
Sounds like a game competitor should be able to follow the main site WOD's and just change the load and intensity. I have no idea if any of the top competitors would agree with that statement or not.

Closed Thread