CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #21
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Post Starting Strength

edit: nevermind
Old 08-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #22
Brian D Williams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carver View Post
Don't program explosive movements like this. Doing an AMRAP set of these would be a conditioning workout--not a strength builder. The best way to do these is to work up to heavy triples and singles as part of your deadlift warm up.

I think you really need to look into the program if you're interested in doing it instead of thinking about how you can bastardize it to fit into CFSB.
The goal isn't to fit it into CFSB. The goal is to learn about other programs and then if I see fit for my training, modify the program I'm doing to meet my needs. I don't plan on stopping CFSB anytime soon, but I heeded the warning of not doing straight sets from the article and now I'm reconsidering.

I had also already been thinking (before I heard of GSLP) of moving to making the last set an AMRAP (good form - not trying to turn it into conditioning) or potentially both. If I'm doing 3x5 of Power Clean now in CFSB and I push the last set to 7 or 8, I don't think this is going to turn into a conditioning workout - although it may seem that way on deload weeks or resets for the first week or two.

My current plan after I finish this cycle is to move to straight sets (and reset the weight a bit lower than I would have otherwise), and then see how my body reacts. If things go well, I may start pushing the last set past the 3 or 5 reps, but it will depend on how my recovery is going.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #23
Brian Carver

Profile:

That certainly sounds like a reasonable plan. I apologize for any misunderstanding. I just didn't want to recommend that anyone do sets of 10 or 15 or more on a movement like the power clean or snatch for strength--that's definitely metcon territory.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #24
Brian D Williams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carver View Post
That certainly sounds like a reasonable plan. I apologize for any misunderstanding. I just didn't want to recommend that anyone do sets of 10 or 15 or more on a movement like the power clean or snatch for strength--that's definitely metcon territory.
No apology needed sir. Like I said I'm learning so figured I'd just put my plan here and if it sucked I hope you all would tell me.